My Built-Rite Splitter Tale of Warning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolhandbrad

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Built-Rite 24 hpws splitter INFO for anyone interested

This is going to be a long post for those interested in reading it. I would recommend hitting the bathroom first and then get you favorite beverage before starting.

I started a thread some time ago asking about a commercial grade splitter for a firewood business I was considering starting. After hearing what people had to say and talking with several manufactures my dad (decided he needed something to do in retirement) and I ordered a built-rite 24 hpws and 16 foot conveyor. We ordered it roughly a week or so before Christmas, talking with John Smith he told us that with the orders in front of us it would be ready to ship middle of February and could expect delivery around 1st of March. Around the 3rd week of January we had changed some business idea and decided we didn’t need the conveyor, called John he said not a problem I’ve got someone who will take it. So on the 31st John calls saying orders ready to ship, anyhow had some money tied up until the 15th so had to call John and say hey we need you to hold it until the 15th. John wasn’t really happy about it but agreed on the 15th. My lesson was learned next time I won’t get our money tied up thinking I have a certain amount of time. Any how the 15th turned out to be a Saturday so we called the following Monday gave him our credit card info for the balance. John said ok will ship it out on Friday so I think great I’m excited going to finally get the splitter. So a week to 10 days later no word about the splitter, so I guess I better call and see what’s going on.

I get on the phone and John says “I was just getting ready to call you” at this point I wish I would have ran. So I say how’s it going? Calling about freight tracking, you guys get the idea. John tells me well I haven’t shipped your splitter, but I have one in Illinois sitting at a truck terminal customers financing fell through he never took delivery of it and I would just like to have the terminal forward it to you. It’s got an upgraded Kohler engine on it and I’ll kick that it in at no extra charge. I verify with him several times that it is brand new and the original customer never took delivery, John tells me that’s correct its just been sitting at the truck terminal in Rockford Illinois. So thinking it sounds like a good deal I agree, then John tells me it has an 8 way and 10 way wedge with it, and that he’ll send me some ups tags to ship them back to him. So 4 days later FedEx freight in Flagstaff calls your splitter is in great its here. So I call my dad and say hey let’s take a cruise and go pick it up

We get to the freight terminal it has a ramp to get the splitter to ground level, only problem is the ramps to narrow to back a truck up to get it on the road. The terminals only has two scrawny guys working there so we had lots of fun rolling it down a slippery steep ramp. So we get it out in the light and the first problem is the splitter is just caked in road salt, funny seeing as how its supposedly been sitting at a truck terminal in Illinois. Then one of the guys chimes in saying it shipped from Wisconsin not Illinois well that was real WTF moment, not knowing any better we hook it up and hit the road. 2nd lesson learned if it’s not right refuse delivery.

We get it back to my place btw it towed ok we only ran about 60 coming home on the interstate. Now comes the up close and personal inspection and nightmare. Half the paint on the main is all gone, push plate paint is worn, the trailer tongue is jacked up from someone backing into it, you’ll get a better idea looking at the pictures. Next funny thing is this brand new splitter has about 6 inches of gas in the tank another red flag, checked the engine oil and its almost completely empty on the dipstick and the little bit that was left wasn’t new clean oil. All the wedges showed signs of use except the 10 way, one had been used so much someone had touched it up with a grinder.

At this point angry doesn’t even begin to describe how I was feeling. So I don’t want to call because a phone call at this point would be really ugly. So I type out a nice email and include a bunch of pictures and tell John don’t call me call my old man, he’s a little more collected than I am. The next day John calls my dad and leaves a super long voice mail, first words out of his mouth is sorry about the road salt the guy(my take on the guy is he was the original customer) had to tow it a 100 miles to the freight terminal. And excuse continued to go on and on, So my dad calls him back, John doesn’t want the splitter back keep the extra wedges I’ll send you some paint, and we’ll call it even. So I have a used splitter that I’m $13,000.00 into including freight.

So I washed the splitter down to get all the salt off the machine, however the rust is already setting in on most of the hose clamps machine and any other bare metal that’s come into contact with salt. This things has a ton of hose clamps on it and the must have run out of the correct sizes because they all large enough for pipe of a larger diameter. I guess no could be bothered with trimming them down to an appropriate length, no worries I can take care of that its not like I paid a small fortune for the machine. No gas shut off valve on a 15 gallon gas tank gee why would anyone want that? Then we’ve got a gate valve on the hydraulic tank great if we need to turn it off we can crank on it for a while guess a ball valve would have cost too much. The tool box is an absolute joke looks nothing like the pictures on the website if it cost more than 10 bucks they over paid for it. The list goes on but I think everyone gets the point.

Does it split wood? The answer is yes and it has an 11.5-12 second cycle time. The log lift is a really nice feature I see where that can really save a man’s back, it does have a metering valve to control how fast it goes up and down. I also like the wedge that goes up and down, no metering valve on it though so its super touchy I guess I will add my own. You have to run the Kohler engine almost full throttle to get full splitting power so it does try and bog down and die. My old 40+ year old splitter doesn’t run much above an idle and seems to have just much splitting power all be it a 25 second cycle time. I find the nicest feature to be the auto cycle valve those are slick. It’s to bad every time I look at it make my blood boil and makes me have some not so nice thoughts.

Anyhow that’s been my Built-Rite experience. Its really sad I had wanted to order a blockmaster to go with the splitter so I could have a 2 part processor, but that is not going to happen now. Couldn’t even get a new invoice for the splitter, I had received one for the original order but all that was was a quote type invoice. I would recommend not purchasing anything from Built-Rite, however if you do make sure you get it in writing in a contract. Anyway enjoy the pictures of my NEW splitter, all pictures were taken before I ever split one piece of wood.
Sorry I couldn't figure out how to embed the photos.
Brad

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums...ewood/2014-03-10_14-27-53_332_zps542cb200.jpg
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums...ewood/2014-03-10_14-28-12_224_zps14c2d57d.jpg
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums...ewood/2014-03-10_14-29-24_421_zps216ff2b6.jpg
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums...ewood/2014-03-10_16-29-54_717_zps5dcb81d4.jpg
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums...ewood/2014-03-10_16-31-57_362_zpsac8c39ad.jpg
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r638/woodchuckersfirewood/2014-03-10_16-34-06_22_zps766b75bc.jpg
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums...ewood/2014-03-10_16-30-52_433_zpsb30a72ab.jpg
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums...ewood/2014-03-10_16-30-25_205_zpsa9575f8d.jpg

Sorry to hear about your ordeal!
I guess I'm in the wrong business if they can get that kind of money for something like that.
Maybe the guys at the dock used it to split their wood? LOL I know, no joke right?
dave

Well that pretty much SUCKS! I'd be interested to hear what the guys at Built-Rite have to say about it all and how they intend to make things right on this. :buttkick: :mad:

A well-documented review such as this can do much more damage and cost them more than making this right could ever cost them. Just keep making noise until they do the right thing. :chainsaw:

I don't blame you, I would be frickin furious for that much money. Too bad they weren't closer, you could go " deliver" it back through their front doorway.

The fact that the machine had dirty oil in engine and gas in the tank makes me suspect the machine might have been a demo unit. It could have been towed to the demo, tested out and no buyers, so instead of hauling back to factory, they sold it to you. Although the machine was extremely dirty, I didnt see any signs the machine had been used and abused. Tested out for certain, but not a ton of hrs. My thoughts are that if you ordered a brand new machine, you should have received a brand new machine, I didnt get to hear the phone conversations so i cant judge what you agreed to.

I agree, it looks like he!!, but they threw in some wedges and you accepted it, so do you really have any room to complain??

I wouldn't have accepted it, UNTILL I was satisfied with the deal and I dam sure wouldn't have used it!

SR

The fact that the machine had dirty oil in engine and gas in the tank makes me suspect the machine might have been a demo unit. It could have been towed to the demo, tested out and no buyers, so instead of hauling back to factory, they sold it to you. Although the machine was extremely dirty, I didnt see any signs the machine had been used and abused. Tested out for certain, but not a ton of hrs. My thoughts are that if you ordered a brand new machine, you should have received a brand new machine, I didnt get to hear the phone conversations so i cant judge what you agreed to.
Thing is I didn't order a DEMO machine or pay Demo price, I ordered a NEW machine and I paid new machine price.

I agree, it looks like he!!, but they threw in some wedges and you accepted it, so do you really have any room to complain??

I wouldn't have accepted it, UNTILL I was satisfied with the deal and I dam sure wouldn't have used it!

SR
For the 13,000 dollars I spent I've still got room to complain, especially when you consider I don't have much use for the bigger wedges. I did try the 10 way about all I found it good for was making kindling, but I only split a few pieces with it.

I would expect them to replace the splitter with a brand spanking new unit, with them eating all shipping charges, or a refund of 20%. Anything less would be unacceptable to me. Dispute your credit card charge; you ordered a new machine and got a used one. Tell them to come and pick up their used machine and buy elsewhere.

BTW I'll be sure to remember this when I upgrade my 35 ton Huskee!

You made my point! You should NOT have accepted it!!

SR
In my own ignorance I didn't know I could do such a thing. John the owner of built-rite told me to pick it up when it came in and if there was a problem he would take care of it!!! His idea of fixing was to make it out that nothing was a problem.

Unfortunately, the second you accepted the unit at the terminal, you recourse is limited. I agree the business treated you poorly and its within your rights to post a cautionary tale so maybe it will help the next person.

You can call your CC company, register a complaint, and they will put pressure on the company to settle with you, or loose what ever part of the bill you put on your CC.

I agree they are in the wrong, I just think you shouldn't have accepted it, after he threw in the other wedges, knowing it wasn't what you were supose to be getting.

SR

I just want to edit in, I'm sorry if my post sound harsh... **** does happen, and I've made my share of mistakes too!

You can call your CC company, register a complaint, and they will put pressure on the company to settle with you, or loose what ever part of the bill you put on your CC.

I agree they are in the wrong, I just think you shouldn't have accepted it, after he threw in the other wedges, knowing it wasn't what you were supose to be getting.

SR

I just want to edit in, I'm sorry if my post sound harsh... **** does happen, and I've made my share of mistakes too!
Its all cool bro. I'm not looking for or expecting Built-Rite to do anything, they would have done that when we called about it and requested they send a new machine. I just wanted to post this here and a few other sites so people would know if they did it to me they will do it to someone else. And if it save on person from going through the same thing, then it was worth it.

I'm sure there's two sides to this story. I bought a used machine directly from built rite 8 years ago and found them excellent to deal with. The odd time I have issues with the machine or need parts, they always respond quickly. If you had not reneged on the original deal you wouldn't be in this position.

I would call the credit card company. I'll bet they would refund your money. Then you'll have builtrite calling you to work out a deal.

Guys & CoolHandBrad: On TheRoad, Joesell & Sawyer Rob all make good points. "I've got no dog in this fight" but I've looked @ these machines. If nothing else, can I get an e-mail addie for the guy You dealt with. Like a snake, you cut the head, and don't worry 'bout the rest. Cool, despute the charge quick, with C.C. and they'll (Built-Rite) will call You!

My sympathies

It just plain stinks when money is paid, (especially that amount), and the product delivered is not up to expectation. I have no knowledge of what what transpired in the conversations but it is quite obvious you did not receive an "as new" machine.

I agree with the others, your best recourse given the situation and particularly the distance involved is to register a complaint with the CC company disputing the charges ASAP.

Take Care

I have learned the hard way to inspect everything I buy. I bought a new truck and when I got it home it had a big dent in the bumper. Bought a new plow got it home and noticed the light bar was bent pretty bad, they replaced it. Alot of times you just don't notice stuff till you get home probably because they are trying to hide it to get you down the road. In your case it just sounds like they misrepresented the unit. Maybe they could give you an ex tended warranty or something. Since it was used. Bad business practices on the sellers part for sure. They should knock 500 off it at least. Who cares about the extra wedges when you don't know how much time or abuse is on the machine.

Latest posts

Back