2nd Saw Recommendation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josh.alberson

Reaction score
Guys,

Bought a new house and been cutting firewood for the fireplace and outdoor pit plus the fire pit at the farm. Most of the trees are oaks or sweet gums so quite a bit of limbing to be done. Up until now I've been running a Stihl 441 CM for felling, sawing the trunk, and some limbing and using my Stihl HT101 pole saw for a majority of the limbing. The pole saw however doesn't have quite enough "a$$" for the medium to smaller size stuff (however its nice to stand at a distance while limbing) so I want to get a smaller saw for the limbing work. Recommendations?

I thought about a MS261 however the power head isn't much smaller than the 441 so I question the value?

What about the MS201? I've seen good and bad reviews on here but they are older posts? Current thought? Is the power high enough to tell a drastic difference between the HT101 and it?

Note...I know some guys are running the 441 for all limbing but y'all hold them everyday...I don't. ;)

Josh

Texas is a big state, you need to be more specific:msp_biggrin:

You already have two great tools (I have a HT131 and love it) so you have the luxury of not needing anything really kick ass for a limbing saw. I'd get something small, rear handle, light, and probably not super expensive unless you want it. I have two heavy pro saws, but I use a husky 445 for limbing/brush stuff and it has taken a beating for 5 years now with nothing but bar oil, mix and chains. I would bet an MS250 would be similar. 261's are great 550's are great, but they are spendy for a light duty saw, unless you're thinking of putting the 441 out to pasture and use the lil saw most of the time.

Welcome to AS, future new saw rep heading your way, and some other Texans should be along soon as well:cheers:

Well I ain't a texan lol..............but how's about the MS260/261.......the husky 357 is a nice small saw or the older 254 ........I don't own a pole saw so can't comment but then again I limb with a 288 or 670 lol

HuskStihl,

I am in Houston (actually out 290 towards you) but the firewood cutting goes on in Livingston. The 441 is actually quite new. I'm just back into cutting...been about 10 years since I cut any back home in Georgia with the family. I grew up learning on a similar size saw to the 441 (to long ago to remember model) equipped with a bow (yes I did say bow haha). I want a smaller saw for two reasons.

1 - I love the 441 as it runs circle around my in-laws other saws but they are old enough they can't handle the weight very long and not very experienced (ie Im the only one I let run it). Their saws are also pretty old so I need an updated saw to get my "hired help" working more efficiently.

2 - A lot of the oaks end up with some limbs shoulder high after felling. Gets a little old holding the 441 up there with any regularity and the pole saw starts dragging once I hit the 4" range on the limbs. These are some pretty big old oaks so that happens fairly regular.

As to Husky versus Stihl I typically go with Stihl as the dealer network around my house is pretty good (got all the typical yard implements) and thats all Ive ever used (with good results I might add) however an in-law just went to work at the Husky dealer in Livingston selling Mahindra tractors so I may give the Huskys a try depending on the deal he can get me.

Josh

Get a 261 or 550xp.

Or a used 346XP

The 261 might not look like its lighter than the 441 or smaller on the computer screen, but it is, a 50 cc saw is the way to go for your limbing needs.

I had the fortune to run a 562xp demo a couple of weekends ago, for medium/small/large, I would put my 441 down for a spell. Fast, lighter weight saw with good power. I am normally a stihl guy, but this huskey is a nice saw for a back up. The big wood still takes the 441 though.;)

Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah I've read through a lot of the threads on recommendations but I hadn't read much recently on the 201. I figured most would recommend the 261 but wanted to see if there were any different opinions.

Josh

I just picked up a 201C rear handle. I have not tested it yet but sure like the feel a lot. Going to run it with a 16" e-lite Stihl bar and the PS 3/8 picco stihl chain. I am sending it up to Snelling for a Muffler Mod, Timing Adjust, remove rev limiter on the carb and retune which is supposed to increase power up to 30% from stock.

I did get to borrow a 250 stihl and run it a bit. Didn't feel a whole lot lighter than my Husky 550xp and had less power. The 261 would be the same size saw as a Husky 550xp. I do love that Husky 550xp a whole lot.

Sounds like a 201C might be exactly what you are looking for. I have used my 192TC for limbing and love it but wanted a rear handle version for on the ground .

As soon as I get my 201c back I will post up some videos with different chains.

If you're talking 4-12" in Oak, that is the domain of the 261, (or 029) and the 346xp or 550xp Husky. The Dolmar 5100s would also be a good choice. The top handles are nice in the smaller limbs and will do bigger, but cutting for firewood usually involves a lot more cuts over time than topping trees out. I swore by my old 346xp until it burned up in a truck. I love the 261 that I have now and the CM version I would have to assume would be even better as it can adjust on the fly. My 261 has some grunt but if I bought another small saw it would be a toss-up between it and the 550xp Husky unless I scored a hell of a deal on a 346xp. The choice is simple (dealer support willing): if you want a slightly more solid/substantial feeling saw that will last a long time, buy the Stihl or the Dolmar. If you want a limbing saw that is a bit lighter and handles like a scalpel, buy the 346 or the 550 Husqvarna.

My 562 is growing on me a lot. My 372xp is nasty, the Dolkita is only a P&C away from being a 7900 and I will have a 395xp someday. BUT, no matter what size tree I'm cutting the 261 gets a lot of the playtime as it's just too darn light and pulls to well to put it aside until you hit wood that's at least 10-12" thick, sometimes more. Try one and you'll likely be convinced. Run a ported one and you'll be ruined forever...:laugh:

261, 550XP, or used/NOS 346XP.

Get one of each in your hands and buy the one that feels best. I think you'll be surprised how much more bucking (not just limbing) you'll end up doing with one of those 50cc saws.

Latest posts

Back