First out with the new Poulan Pro!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SFC B

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Finally wore out the old Mc 38cc saw and decided that $$ versus what I use it for my best bet would be the 50cc Poulan Pro. Brought home, filled it fired it up and packed it to take to elk camp. I am a happy camper so far. Felled and processed 4 trees (standing dead Englemann Spruce) with a quickness. Not only was the saw nice and powerful but the chain was a great compliment as well. Gonna cut a couple more cords on post (Ft Carson) here in a couple of weeks and the saw will have paid for itself. Love that!!

Good to hear, I've been thinking about getting one of those for a loaner/beater.
I ran one once, for two cuts, at the neighbors but had been cutting all morning with my 562.
The local Farm&Home has them on sale for $179.

Yep, I paid $179 @ Home Depot and SOFT wood (pine/aspen) goes for at least that much a cord around here (Colorado Springs). Sooooo If I fill my 3 cord permit on post I am already way ahead. Last time I cut on post I was able to snake around the border of the cutting area and find a stand of standing dead/burn over scrub oak. I have been burning that for two years so hopefully I can swing that again. Otherwise it will be Ponderosa pine. Wish me luck on that.

Best of luck, Sarge. Got a PP5020 a couple years back ($180 @ NT) and have worked it hard. Only use it on ~12" and up. Buddy tried it, and got one too; he has a 250 stihl available for $250- treated well and not worked hard. Not possible, really.

SFC B....
I've had my PP5020AV for a year now (about 6 - 7 cords). A very small carb adjustment after break in & figuring out how to sharpen the #*!*#! Vanguard chain & been all good since. Great saw for the $$ spent. Hope it works well for ya!!
Jim

SFC B....
I've had my PP5020AV for a year now (about 6 - 7 cords). A very small carb adjustment after break in & figuring out how to sharpen the #*!*#! Vanguard chain & been all good since. Great saw for the $$ spent. Hope it works well for ya!!
Jim

That folded over depth gauge is sort of a pain. I think it is safety chain because you spend so much time sharpening it, there goes your daylight and you can't run the saw....

I started out with a Poulan 220 years ago. I got the thing from Lowes for 120.00 back then, and they were popular saws. Looking back that saw did really well for what I put it through. I cut at least 120 cords with it over several years. Went through couple of bars and several chains. Finally intake bolts came loose and stripped out, wasn't worth the repair. Not a bad saw for the price at all. good luck run her till she blows.

That folded over depth gauge is sort of a pain. I think it is safety chain because you spend so much time sharpening it, there goes your daylight and you can't run the saw....

Not so, really, and I'm no apologist for them. Every couple of tanks, I pop on the Granberg guide, set it, and hit each cutter a stroke. Simple as any I've seen, except for the stones you spin the chain against to grind off the chain. I try not to make conclusions prior to collecting facts.

Haven't had to touch depth gauges on one yet. In general, filing thusly, they wear at about the same rate as the cutters drop from filing.

Anybody needing to dispose of Vanguard chains, PM me for address and I'll cover postage. Wanting to see smiling faces. ;)

Not so, really, and I'm no apologist for them. Every couple of tanks, I pop on the Granberg guide, set it, and hit each cutter a stroke. Simple as any I've seen, except for the stones you spin the chain against to grind off the chain. I try not to make conclusions prior to collecting facts.

Haven't had to touch depth gauges on one yet. In general, filing thusly, they wear at about the same rate as the cutters drop from filing.

Anybody needing to dispose of Vanguard chains, PM me for address and I'll cover postage. Wanting to see smiling faces. ;)

Just takes a lot more filing over a non folded regular chain depth gauge.

I had a 330Pro a few years back. It was a pretty good saw for what I paid for it but it had a 22" bar on it and nobody kept chains in stock for it. I managed to scrounge about 5 chains for it. They would get dull really fast with the crappy oregon chains. One day I was just finishing up the last load for the year when it quit running. I though I ran out of gas and didnt feel like filling it up so I quit for the year. Next year I filled it up and it wouldnt start. Turned out the rings had broken. Wasnt worth fixing so I tossed it and bought my MS44 Stihl, and MS250C, and havent looked back.

This is a real Poulan Pro...

PoulanPro6553_zps228406e9.jpg

Naw , you would have the excuse to get more done, exercising the saw to keep it limbered up.:chainsaw:

That reminds me got an 075 that needs a little wood time.

I picked up the pp5020 about a year ago and have never had any problems with it. I got mine off Amazon for $175. While I love it, I love my Stihl ms361 even more! I do still use the 5020, 4620, and the 4218 for the various aspects of tree cutting. Now I need an itty bitty one that isn't too heavy for walking around up in the trees.

I picked up the pp5020 about a year ago and have never had any problems with it. I got mine off Amazon for $175. While I love it, I love my Stihl ms361 even more! I do still use the 5020, 4620, and the 4218 for the various aspects of tree cutting. Now I need an itty bitty one that isn't too heavy for walking around up in the trees.
Stihl MS361 Rocks!

Back