Bought 2 NEW poulan pros....you gotta read this!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RED-85-Z51

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
unbeleivable!

My dad works as head of maintainance for a local Nursing home.

Their homelite bit the dust last year, and he was given a 400 dollar limit to buy 2 new saws.

Well, as you can imagine, pickings are slim at best.

He settled on 2 Poulan Pro PP4620 AVX saws.

Thats a Yellow case 46cc saw with a 20" guide bar.

They asked me to set em up at my shop so they would be ready in case a hurricane comes our way.

So I unpack both boxes, put the bars and chains on, give em both a once over. Fill the oil tanks with new bar oil, then put in some fresh 40:1 Mix.

The first one, I pull the rope and it wont retract...So I take the cover off and loosen the screw, it comes back in no problem. So I put a drop of 3N1 oil on it, and tighten it back down. Put it together, give it a pull and I hear this god aweful crunching noise...

Take it back apart and the genious spring cushioned recoil mechanism failed. The spring wrapped around the little bolt and busted the plastic peice that engages the pawls on the flywheel.

okay...so I drain the gas and oil, back in the box...

Move on to #2.

Pull the rop 5 times and it fires up, a little lean, but it warmed up nicely.

I noticed right away that the chain wasnt getting oil. I let it idle a few minutes and gave it a rev, one quick burt of oil o nthe concrete, then nothing. Then I see the puddle that it creeping up my work slacks...great.

I look and oil is gushing out the pump housing..not even make it to the oiler hole.

Drained the gas and oil...back in the box.

Amazing. 400 dollars worth of supposedly "PRO" saws, and neither were fit to even be broken in. I wasnt even going to test fire em, because then they would have gas sitting in the carbs for God only knows how long before they get used...thankfully I did.

I was going to suggest a pair of "Wild things" but the new ones have that strato-charger crap on em, and everyone is telling me they are all cooking the slugs after a couple hours of use.

So Im trying to get em to pick up a pair of Echo CS306's...14" bars, but Ill bet they start and run!

unbeleivable!

My dad works as head of maintainance for a local Nursing home.

Their homelite bit the dust last year, and he was given a 400 dollar limit to buy 2 new saws.

Well, as you can imagine, pickings are slim at best.

He settled on 2 Poulan Pro PP4620 AVX saws.

Thats a Yellow case 46cc saw with a 20" guide bar.

They asked me to set em up at my shop so they would be ready in case a hurricane comes our way.

So I unpack both boxes, put the bars and chains on, give em both a once over. Fill the oil tanks with new bar oil, then put in some fresh 40:1 Mix.

The first one, I pull the rope and it wont retract...So I take the cover off and loosen the screw, it comes back in no problem. So I put a drop of 3N1 oil on it, and tighten it back down. Put it together, give it a pull and I hear this god aweful crunching noise...

Take it back apart and the genious spring cushioned recoil mechanism failed. The spring wrapped around the little bolt and busted the plastic peice that engages the pawls on the flywheel.

okay...so I drain the gas and oil, back in the box...

Move on to #2.

Pull the rop 5 times and it fires up, a little lean, but it warmed up nicely.

I noticed right away that the chain wasnt getting oil. I let it idle a few minutes and gave it a rev, one quick burt of oil o nthe concrete, then nothing. Then I see the puddle that it creeping up my work slacks...great.

I look and oil is gushing out the pump housing..not even make it to the oiler hole.

Drained the gas and oil...back in the box.

Amazing. 400 dollars worth of supposedly "PRO" saws, and neither were fit to even be broken in. I wasnt even going to test fire em, because then they would have gas sitting in the carbs for God only knows how long before they get used...thankfully I did.

I was going to suggest a pair of "Wild things" but the new ones have that strato-charger crap on em, and everyone is telling me they are all cooking the slugs after a couple hours of use.

So Im trying to get em to pick up a pair of Echo CS306's...14" bars, but Ill bet they start and run!

Sad story there RED...................

Sad story there RED...................

I know, I hate it!

I was seriously thinking these saws would be decent, at least for the occasional light work they do. One thing I noticed right off is they were pretty weighty for their size. Id say they were as heavy as my Timberbears, mayby slightly lighter.

They did have that STIHL inspired no tools chain tensioner that was very nice, but it had alot of play in the little thunb wheel and darned if it didnt hurt my fingers to get it tensioned. Thumbwheel should habe been metal, a little bigger in diameter, and knurled.

I know it seems like I always come here with these sad stories about saws...but dang, Im a repairman, I dont see many saws come to me in mint condition:D And when I finally do, both break right out of the box..:bang:

Dayumm Red thats a bummer. Problem is Red if you keep buying saws in a box you have to find out the hard way whether it runs or not. Get a Stihl and be done with it..

Almost makes you think there mistake was saying "2" saws, rewriting the story from "Go to the store and buy two saws for $400 dollars" ~ Go to the Stihl store and buy a saw, for $400 dollars" seems like it would have saved you some time?

Hard to think that any "2" $200 dollar saws would out-cut a $400 dollar MS-310, for a say?

I have an interesting Question......I you take the saw's back to the store and they go back to be refurbished, then resold does that count as one saw sold one time ?? or one saw sold twice... Just had to ask.

Last edited:
Almost makes you think there mistake was saying "2" saws, rewriting the story from "Go to the store and buy two saws for $400 dollars" ~ Go to the Stihl store and buy a saw, for $400 dollars" seems like it would have saved you some time?

Hard to think that any "2" $200 dollar saws would out-cut a $400 dollar MS-310, for a say?

Shoe mishaps like what Red had there has made Stihl what it is today, No.1. People soon get tired of mishaps like that, brand spanking new, not worth a dayummm or hoot in hell. Pays to hear it run before you go home with it. No wonder Stihl costs more, we have to make sure it runs before it leaves the building, sorta like Elvis, gotta sing the tunes, not tape the box.....

I have an interesting Question......I you take the saw's back to the store and they go back to be refurbished, then resold does that count as one saw sold one time ?? or one saw sold twice... Just had to ask.

Most likely sent to Northern Tool and patched up and sold again. May as well buy a used saw off e-bay, both come in a box and you don't know if they will run or not. Buy a Stihl and be done with it...

Most likely sent to Northern Tool and patched up and sold again. May as well buy a used saw off e-bay, both come in a box and you don't know if they will run or not. Buy a Stihl and be done with it...

Im trying to find out if this is the way they get there sales figures up... Selling the same saws twice ... Heck I see lots of Wildthingys sold as refurb's and most get returned the second time.....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That sux!

I'm sure the thinking was "Gee, we'll get two, that way if one breaks down......................................"

GAH!!!!!!!!

(should'a took pa to the local pawnshops shoppin' mebee)

(or ta Thall)

Oh well, box em up, take 'em back "They don't work.", they have to have at least a month warrantee yes? Better yet, go in with yer pop and tell them neither of ya know how to run saws "Could you show us? We brought gas an' oil!" (I'd do it just for a laugh but I'm twisted :D )

Dayumm Red thats a bummer. Problem is Red if you keep buying saws in a box you have to find out the hard way whether it runs or not. Get a Stihl and be done with it..

Not necessarily true. A friend of mine bought a MS250 three weeks ago
(he didn't consult me on what to buy, but that you have already figured out I guess). Anyway, takes the small baby home, puts the gear in the car and starts heading for the woods, excited over the new chain saw.
Fills her up my gas and oil and then a first pull ........... starter rope goes off.
Some f-words to the dealer, get a new one, no problem. Brings her home.
First pull, starer rope goes again... Now, many f-words later the little Stihl seems to work ok for his needs. Every brand has saws made on a monday morning :hmm3grin2orange:

well thats the thing. This faciliy has 2 serperate locations. THey wanted one say at each "house" so to speak.

When they had one saw, it was never at the house that needed it at the time.

He was going to get a pair of Echos or Husky's from HD or Lowes like I told him to, but the cheapest thing they had was a $261.00 Husky with a 16" bar. Buy 2, cost is 520.00 + tax. Thats 100 more than he was given to spend.

The problem with the 200 dollar Echo is the 14" bar, they dont think its enough...

The catch is they HAVE to buy from Sears, Home Depot, or Lowes, thats IT.

The 20" 46cc Poulan PRO's looked like the best bet for the money...apparently not.

I wrote the manager a nice little note, explaining the problems with both saws, and this:

*****, these saws were both faulty out of the box. Odds are buying 2 more would yeild 1, possibly 2 saws that work properly out of the box, but my worry would be reliability when they are called upon. 200 dollars per saw cuts your options down alot. I know you really want 2 saws, but only limiting yourself to 400 dollars yeilds the kind of results we have right now, 2 boat anchors.

Your options are to buy 1 really good quality, saw, like a Echo CS-520, or A Husqvarna of your choosing. OR allot yourself more money for 2 quality saws.

Tommy-

------------

i recommended the Echo because they are easier to pull than most stihls and huskies Ive ever used. I know my dad could crank a 595XP and a MS660 like nothing, but there will be other people using these saws. and Id hate for someone to yank their arm out or hurt themselves in some other way just trying to start it.

Both saws were returned this morning....He said the return person said that both saws appeared to be in perfect shape, and that he couldnt understand why anyone would want to return 2 new saws...:hmm3grin2orange:

Lets hope he gets something with a little more quality built into it..

Both saws were returned this morning....He said the return person said that both saws appeared to be in perfect shape, and that he couldnt understand why anyone would want to return 2 new saws...:hmm3grin2orange:

Lets hope he gets something with a little more quality built into it..

Was the guy talking about the boxes were in perfect shape...;) ;)

Tell him to try the cs-306

I have the cs-306 that you suggested. They sell for 199 around here, I found a 15% off everything sale at a local hardware store when I got mine. The micro-lite bar & chain cut well, but it's too hard to find chain locally, so I picked up an arbormax from Baileys a while back. It is definately not an all-day everyday firewood saw, but I love it for limbing at the end of the day. It's nice to have a lightweight saw after a day of muscling the heavier guys around all day.

unbeleivable!

Buy junk, get junk results. Where's the surprise and amazement in that?

The Echos are by far a better choice. CS440s are regularly going for $190 NIB and the CS346 for $160 NIB.

You would think that since it is a local nursing home someone in the neighbor hood might have a nice old saw to donate. They should put a add in the news paper. Help us out we need a saw add!

Back