Turning a wood splitter into a can baler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The splitter sounds like its cavitating toward the end of its stroke... maybe why it slows considerably with nothing in it? Might want to check your fluid.

Great job!

EDIT, not sure if the quote about roadside cans in Iowa was in the message

That is kind of funny, just drive down any gravel road and if you can't pick up 6 cans in a mile you are not looking hard enough......seriously

Can deposits are forced recycling probably done a long time ago when energy was cheap and cans were worthless.
Spidey,
I agree, In Iowa you don't see beer cans on the side of the road with the recycling fee.
Same where I live, before the deposit the ditches were covered with bottles ect., not any more...
That is kind of funny, just drive down any gravel road and if you can't pick up 6 cans in a mile you are not looking hard enough......seriously

The Iowa "Beverage Container Law" was enacted in 1979, and, at the time, was not about "forced" recycling... it was about cleaning up the roadsides and waterways. At the time, in 1979, you could still buy soda and beer in real glass bottles that included a 10¢ deposit from the bottling company because reusing the bottles (not "recycling" the material) reduced their costs. You hardly ever saw one of those "10¢" bottles on the roadside, but the ditches would literally fill with other cans and bottles. The riverbanks were horrible, and, in clear water, you could see cans almost covering lake bottoms in high-use areas. People would leave piles of them in parks, camp sites and even blackened, half-melted cans in the fire rings. Simply put, the introduction of cheap, worthless plastic and aluminum containers had created a generation of slobs. The program worked because a nickle was actually worth something; adding a $1.60 to a 12-pack of soda or beer was a significant increase... like a 35% increase in 1979.

During the last few years cans and bottles have begun to end up back on the roadsides... simply because a nickle ain't worth cold owl crap anymore. It ain't as bad as it was in the 70's... yet... but it is getting worse. Most of the paved roads still stay "clean" because of the "Adopt A Highway" program where people actually adopt a section of roadway and "walk" the ditches on a regular schedule. But our literally millions of miles of gravel roadways, that crisscross the state nearly every mile, is where a few cans and bottles are once again becoming an eyesore. It ain't quite as simple to "walk" the ditches along rural gravel roads because they ain't mowed, are often steep sided and/or wet... their main purpose is a place to push the snow in winter.

There's been a few calls to increase the deposit to 10¢... make those empty containers "worth" something again. There's also been talk of adding the deposit to those plastic water bottles which people now toss out car windows like cigarette butts during the 60's and 70's (at least plastic burns in a fire ring). I'm on the fence, the "deposit" is a PITA, but we've lived with it for over 30 years now... and I'd hate to see the roadways and waterways go back to what they were. I put the cans and bottles back in the cardboard containers as they're emptied, take them into town every couple weeks or so and stop at the "counting machine" before work; sometimes I even get enough "cash" back for a box-o-beer... but usually it's enough to buy my lunch that day.

But I have to say it again; the original intent of the law had absolutely nothing to do with "forced recycling"... and, unlike most "do-gooder" type laws, it actually accomplished what it was intended to.

OH‼
And before someone tries comparing my post to some of my others (such as my anti-EPA posts)...
I have never complained 'bout state or local laws or ordinances designed to fit specific state or local requirements... and there ain't anything unconstitutional about them. It's the blanket-style, one-size-fits-all, Federal laws (and even worse, regulations) that I believe are wrong... not to mention, completely unconstitutional. Federal government is very narrowly empowered by the Constitution... which even includes a clause that says any-and-all powers not specifically mentioned are left to the states and/or people respectively. It ain't the job of Federal government to protect us from ourselves... in fact, Federal government is specifically forbidden to do so.

Spidey I knew what you were getting at.

As far as beer cans in ditches. Amazingly enough some hunters threw beer cans out the window so they would not have prima facia evidence of an violation. i.e. open alcoholic container in vehicle. However I have seen well dressed people in very nice cars picking up the smelly nasty empty containers. I always found this quite amusing.

Boss told me a story a couple weeks ago about some local characters.

This elderly brother and sister team would start at 0 dark thirty every day and walk this big like ten mile stretch around here picking cans. They started and stopped at their little house where they ran a junk/thrift shop. So...the brother hit the lottery for millions! Was a big deal around here at the time. They still got up every morning and walked to pick up cans! Couple years later, the brother had a heart attack and croaked while getting cans, a couple years after that the sister got hit by a car while picking cans.

Works in Georgia. Sent 10 bales to the recycler weighing 8 pounds each 80 pounds @ .60 lb check for $48. I do agree with you guys we have a long way to go and we may have to undo a bunch of bad laws. Can deposits are forced recycling probably done a long time ago when energy was cheap and cans were worthless. When you are made to do that you are not recycling only trying to get your money back. Seriously I would probably throw them away at 5 cents a can. Not worth the trouble and I am a bit of a renegade and would do it for spite. But the simple fact is if you could put enough metal in your vehicle without the mess and bother of leaking trash bags full of ants, roaches and bees it might work. I guess it will be up to the deposit free states to show everyone how it's done
bob
I don't consider it forced recycling, it's a deposit system and it's voluntary. Just like the core fee on brake shoes alternators etc... If you wish to not participate you can throw them in the garbage, out your car window or in your normal recycling bin. Plenty of people are willing to pick them up because they have value and there is no required skill set to get them. It's a great way to keep them out of the ditches and better our environment. The same benefits applies to recycling programs that take paper plastic and metal. I know my average volume of household garbage is 50-60% trash that goes to the dump, 30-35% recyclables and 5-10% compost. I pay a set price per week for garbage pickup so it wouldn't cost me anything if I did not recycle. I do it because it's a moral responsibility.

There's been a few calls to increase the deposit to 10¢... make those empty containers "worth" something again. There's also been talk of adding the deposit to those plastic water bottles which people now toss out car windows like cigarette butts during the 60's and 70's (at least plastic burns in a fire ring). I'm on the fence, the "deposit" is a PITA, but we've lived with it for over 30 years now... and I'd hate to see the roadways and waterways go back to what they were. I put the cans and bottles back in the cardboard containers as they're emptied, take them into town every couple weeks or so and stop at the "counting machine" before work; sometimes I even get enough "cash" back for a box-o-beer... but usually it's enough to buy my lunch that day.*

I'd like to see IA move to $0.10 or even $0.15 on all bottles. The hunt would be on for sure if the price was increased. I don't know about spidy's area but the "adopt a highway" program in central IA has alot of empty stretches that need volunteers. In general people don't seem to care that trash is everywhere. I do Project AWARE every year and the amount of trash we pull out of the rivers is depressing.

I do not recycle, and I don't see recycling as (my) moral responsibility... it's simply a personal choice in my book.
With that said, I'd never put someone down for choices they make based on their personal moral code (such as choosing to recycle).... nor would I impose my personal moral values on someone else.
I'd likely do some recycling if it didn't cost me out of pocket... we have to purchase special colored bags for recyclables.
I flat refuse to pay to recycle... I'll burn or bury it before I'll pay a worthless nickle to recycle it.

I do not recycle, and I don't see recycling as (my) moral responsibility... it's simply a personal choice in my book.
With that said, I'd never put someone down for choices they make based on their personal moral code (such as choosing to recycle).... nor would I impose my personal moral values on someone else.
I'd likely do some recycling if it didn't cost me out of pocket... we have to purchase special colored bags for recyclables.
I flat refuse to pay to recycle... I'll burn or bury it before I'll pay a worthless nickle to recycle it.
Thats fine, people have different opinions as well as different morals. I dont push my morals on anyone else or put them down if they dont recycle. But in my mind is along the same lines as littering in my opinion. If recycling at your location is as simple as placing recycling into this box vs in the garbage can then I consider it laziness if you dont do it. Even if it costs you a little bit of money to recycle you should feel some obligation to participate for the environmental benefits.

BTW, how much could it cost to buy the colored bags they require? Any other costs like a permit or anything?

BTW, how much could it cost to buy the colored bags they require? Any other costs like a permit or anything?
OK, this is how the (so-called) voluntary scam works here…
The original program required you to buy different colored bags for different recyclables (i.e. glass, plastic, paper, etc.) and you put your non-recyclables in plain old store-bought trash bags. The problem was those colored bags were not cheap and people wouldn’t buy them, or forgot to buy them… so, for the most part, everything was still ending up in the landfill.

Enter the new (so-called) voluntary scam…
Now you purchase different (special) plastic bins for your recyclables… a one-time purchase. But the rub is your non-recyclables must be in (special-labeled) orange bags at a cost of about $2.00 a bag. Well, at 2 bucks a bag people don’t wanna’ fill them any faster than necessary; it’s a bunch cheaper to buy the (special) plastic bins at a one-time cost and save the (special-labeled) orange bags for garbage… especially if you have a larger family that generates multiple bags of trash a week.
Oh‼ And you still have to use the store-bought bags because the orange bags are weak and not air or water tight. The orange bags are nothing more than a trash label… you’re supposed to put your “regular” trash bag inside the orange bag (they're just big enough to hold a kitchen size garbage bag, not a large trash bag).

Of course this applies to trash collection that you have to pay a monthly service charge for. So, you pay a monthly fee for trash collection, plus you have to buy special bins and bags. Now, there is a way around all of this… you can haul the trash to the dump yourself and pay a fee to dump it (about a 40 minute round trip). If you live rural there is a second choice; you can haul it to the county collection place at no-charge, but you’re required to separate everything and place it in the appropriate bins... that is, when the place is open and someone is there on duty to ensure you have separated everything. And if you’re caught “violating” the rules you can be fined, even after the fact.

The whole damn program is a lot closer to “forced recycling” than the “beverage container deposit” ever was, or will be. Personally, I ain’t about to play their silly expensive game; if you want me to participate in “recycling” you'd better find a way to do it without it costing me extra… not even a worthless nickel, period‼ I burn everything that will burn, I bury or compost everything that will rot, rust, or otherwise degrade away in a reasonable time period, and I haul a bag or box (whatever I have handy) of glass, soup cans, and such into the dumpster at work once a week (business ain’t required to do anything special… if it fits in the dumpster it gets hauled away... the "regular" folks are the ones footin' the bill).

OH... I forgot about the florescent light bulb rule (regulation?)... which applies to business also.

Get this; you can not put any florescent light bulb in the trash or recyclables, you have to take them to an authorized hazardous waste recycler(?)... kind'a like batteries and used oil.
There is one exception... if the bulb is accidentally broken it is OK to place it in the trash (you can not "legally" break them on purpose).
Well... funny damn thing... florescent light bulbs hardly ever seem to "burn-out" 'round here, it just so happens near every one is accidentally (wink) broken.

Where I live the council/county provides 2 bins to every household ... recycling bin and general waste ... so it's no hassle to recycle cans

Thats messed up IMO, not you but your county/state. I live out in a rural area and we can leave out garbage at the road front in bags if we like or in a can for pickup (I pay montly for the service and pickup is weekly). You are responsible for buying your own can if you use one or cleaning up your garbage from the racoons dont use a can. If you are in a municipal that offer garbage collection then they provide you the standard container/can to put garbage in. They will also provide you with a recycling container that is usually too small for all of your recycling materials. You can go buy a standard garbage can and paint the recycling symbol on it or write recycling on it and use it, they will still pick up your recycling. The only separation required is paper has to be by itself in that case, glass plastic and metal are together. In that situation your garbage bill includes recycling if you use it or not. In my situation I have to take the recycling to a facility and it is all dumped in together and mixed (except bags, no plastic bags). Dropping the recycling is free to the public and includes motor oils. I make a trip monthly with all my recycling and it fits in a large box I have about 2/3rds the size of a fridge. No big deal and it saves me from having to drag down a second garbage can on pickup day due to the reduced volume.

Yeah, messed-up... it ain't a "State thing" though, it's a "thing" between local government and the privately owned sanitation company.
Out here in fly-over-country small towns and townships don't have municipal garbage, they sub-contract to private business. That private company may service several towns and townships, whole counties, or even portions of multiple counties. The landfill (or dump) may, or may not be located in the same county you live... or there may be more than one in your county. Even though the same private company may service two separate townships, and dump it all at the same landfill(s), the laws, rules and regulations may be entirely different for each... just depends on local officials, contract agreements and the rules of the local landfill (which may even be privately owned). If you live in town you make your monthly payment (for trash collection) to City Hall as part of your water and sewer bill... if you live rural you make your payment directly to the private company (very few rural dwellers hire the service... I personally know of only two).

NY law has banned burn barrels. Some still use it but they are on the way out... Local laws here seem more relax, no special bags or anything, you put it out they usually take it unless its a full couch or matterss or tires...

Living where I do, out in the county, I can burn anything I please (in or out of a burn barrel)... so the "relaxed" laws is sort'a relative to the topic I guess (in town the fire has to be contained... like in a barrel).
Heck, I can even use an old tire or two to get a slash pile burning... supposedly you're supposed to call the sheriff and tell him you're gonna' use a tire or two, but nobody ever does.

We get big plastic bags that fit in a box you buy for $5.00 from the local garbage service, which take in an amazing amount of cans. Fill box level full and bring in, collect $12.00. Bring 3 bags in at a time.

Everything else that burns, gets burned. Metal goes in scrap trailer that usually goes in every couple weeks, for a nice check. Glass bottles, well, I hate em and rarely buy them but some clown friends of mine always leave them. The scrap yard will take in cans by the pound but, you won't get deposit amount back.

All this beverage talk and I may just have to forget all the cans and bottles again and buy a keg for the kegerator which has been empty since June.

I did some research on the Bottle Law States. It started in Oregon in 1971 and 10 more states followed. Delaware repealed the law in 2009 due to low numbers of recycling rates so now there are only 10. It is credited with reducing roadside waste in almost all of the states that supported it. Most states are opting for curbside programs these days since it has the potential of eliminating more products from the waste stream and is far more efficient.
Some of the problems with mandatory deposits are that they hamper private enterprise not just in recycling but stores that are along the states borders suffer from losing customers who simply drive a few miles across the state lines. This also causes another problem with fraud when the cans are returned at the deposit state. Due to regional distribution of drinks there is no way to prevent someone from returning a can bought in a no deposit state for cash in a deposit state. The bar code only scans to see if the container is an allowable type.
That may explain the totally absurd claims of container recycling rates in Michigan and other states near 100%.

Latest posts

Back