Small engine question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe25DA

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Thread can be moved if need be, but I know most of us work on more than just saws. I have a 1986 toro 11/32 snowblower. In great shape. New coil, micro switches work, rebuilt flo-jet carb. New fuel lines, filter and shut off.
Here's the problem. I'll start it, runs for a bit, then dies. No restart. I have spark, so it fuel related. Could be a clog in the tank petcock or float is sticking up. Gonna start simple but open to ideas

I suspect that you have a fuel delivery problem. Not familiar with that machine, but look to see if there is a fuel bowl on it. I have a 13 HP pressure washer where the bowl jelled up.

Thread can be moved if need be, but I know most of us work on more than just saws. I have a 1986 toro 11/32 snowblower. In great shape. New coil, micro switches work, rebuilt flo-jet carb. New fuel lines, filter and shut off.
Here's the problem. I'll start it, runs for a bit, then dies. No restart. I have spark, so it fuel related. Could be a clog in the tank petcock or float is sticking up. Gonna start simple but open to ideas
Any water in the float bowl?

Fuel filter is 3 months old, big see thru one. Used yesterday in driveway for 30 min. Ran out of fuel. Re-filled, no fire. Today fired up with electric start, ran for 10 then died no restart. Did the tank check too, took cap off completely. Water in fuel or crud in carb bowl is possible

Fuel filter is 3 months old, big see thru one. Used yesterday in driveway for 30 min. Ran out of fuel. Re-filled, no fire. Today fired up with electric start, ran for 10 then died no restart. Did the tank check too, took cap off completely. Water in fuel or crud in carb bowl is possible
Drain the bowl into a pan and look at it.

The machine is on truck now. Gonna check it out at work. I have a back up, but it's a small 5/21 toro and we are supposed to get 20"+ in the next couple days. I'd like to get the big machine on line

is the fuel filter different than the old one? Is it facing correct way? I once worked on a customers scooter that would be hard to start sometimes and when I did would run fine For about 5 or ten minutes. . Ended up being fuel or vacuum lines that he had recently replaced (can't remember) and ran them slightly different than how they was factory. They was being pinched by a bracket only when the scooter hit bumps. So maybe double check your lines?

Change the spark plug too.

Had the same type of issue on a 13HP honda on a pressure washer.

Would run for 15-30 min, then die. Hard to start even the first time, but would run.

I changed the carb, the coil, adjusted the valves. Same crap.

I could see spark on my clean looking plug out of the motor too. One $2 sparkplug later and all was well.

I'd do that and a carb rebuild kit. They're so easy to do.

I got some bad fuel for my snowblower once. The thing ran terrible and hard started. I finally poured some fuel from the gas can into a ratio rite cup and let it sit for a while. There was a lot of water on the bottom. I drained the snowblower tank, flushed the fuel line and cleaned the carb bowl. But still had the issue. Finally pulled the carb and gave it a good cleaning. That did the trick. I didn't think I would ever get rid of that water.

Also don't rule out the coil. I know you said you got spark, but sometimes the coil stops working when it gets hot. I know you know all this stuff, but it doesn't hurt to point it out again. Good luck. It sounds like this storm is going to be rough on you guys up there!

To find out if it is fuel delivery. When it dies, just remove the high speed adj. screw, and see if fuel dribbles out. Also catch any fluid with a can ad look at it for dirt and/or water.

Does it have points? I have seen a view 1985s still with points.

Also, when you get back into it, check your valve clearances.

Back