whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My mother got a similar call from a friend I grew up with 30-40 years ago. Must have been drunk or stoned. Called to tell her he thought of her as his true mom, a neighborhood mom. He told her his mom never was very close to him and his dad even further. I did a google and the guy was troubled at the time. May have cleaned up but haven't heard from him again since. Strange.

Maybe the guy is in recovery and is trying to make an amends. Just a thought.

You have to realize (if you read my post) it was the guy's son that called. He had a son at the time the same age as mine and if that is the son that called that would make him 33 nowadays. The Dad, that worked for us in the mid nineties, would be close to 60 now. I'm 53 and I remember him being five or six years older than me.

Possible scenario: The guy had some quiet grudge with you while he worked there (maybe jealous because he thought he should be working for himself), the guy finally gets on his own for a while and eventually fails, the son listened/watched it all unfold as it happened and felt bad for his dad, dad kicks the bucket recently and the son feels like he is honoring his dad by making sure you know that he did indeed get to do what maybe he somehow felt like you were holding him back from doing. So he calls, says his peace and hangs up.

Possible scenario: The guy had some quiet grudge with you while he worked there (maybe jealous because he thought he should be working for himself), the guy finally gets on his own for a while and eventually fails, the son listened/watched it all unfold as it happened and felt bad for his dad, dad kicks the bucket recently and the son feels like he is honoring his dad by making sure you know that he did indeed get to do what maybe he somehow felt like you were holding him back from doing. So he calls, says his peace and hangs up.

I think you may be 100% right.

two weeks ago this old man walked up on my job... he was a neighbor of a client.. he starts drilling me about all the different trees on the property... asking about this and that... i was a little annoyed cuz i was focused on pruning... but i helped him out... at the end he says "i'm going to be going on a trip soon and i want you to make sure all the trees on my property are looked after..." i say ok... yesterday he died.. i met his wife and found out he was in the last stage of cancer...

the roller stator on one of the chippers took a #### and started leaking all over the ####### feed wheel... i tore the ###### down and got to the point where all i had to do was separate the shaft from the wheel.. i searched and could not figure out how they come apart... the thing looked like it was shrunk fit to the *****...so before i took a sledge to it-- i gave up for the day... the next morning i crawled under the machine to find this tiny hole... i lined up the feed wheel with it and magically this hole appeared with bolt deep inside it... i cranked on the ***** and the whole pile of #### fell apart... i got you you #####... its the seal kit for you...

this smelly wheat farmer called me to fruit prune his hammered ass trees in his yard... i took him around and told him what i thought... i gave him the day i would be there and said bye... the day before his job was scheduled i got home from work and unloaded and loaded the truck with all the **** i need for his ####### job... then i went inside... got cleaned up... and sat down... while i was in the shower the smelly farmer left a voice message... "im calling to cancel-- but its not a bad thing.." i would have given just about anything to give that farmer just one hard kick in the back of the balls...

How are you finding those stumps with all that snow on the ground?
There's maybe a foot down and they plowed a path to them to do the removals back before the 2 or 3 warm days we had so it's all grass and maybe an inch or two in places. Besides the sheets of ice that catch u by suprize access was very easy

Started a nice size job yesterday. Was cold but not to bad. Chipper belt decided to call it quits after lunch. I stayed and trimmed until five. Today it was 10 degrees warmer and my groundies whined that it was to cold to work. Groundies decided to call it quits at lunch. I stayed and trimmed till five again. I wonder how it's colder dragging brush than hanging on a rope 70' up in a tree. I'm thinking I either work with a bunch of pansies or I need to quit eating lunch!!:)

Started a nice size job yesterday. Was cold but not to bad. Chipper belt decided to call it quits after lunch. I stayed and trimmed until five. Today it was 10 degrees warmer and my groundies whined that it was to cold to work. Groundies decided to call it quits at lunch. I stayed and trimmed till five again. I wonder how it's colder dragging brush than hanging on a rope 70' up in a tree. I'm thinking I either work with a bunch of pansies or I need to quit eating lunch!!:)
you work with pansies.... it's getting to the shop that's the hard part when it's cold, especially when the boss asks if I want to take the crew out or take the day off. once I'm there I don't care how cold it is I want my 8 at a minimum!

two weeks ago this old man walked up on my job... he was a neighbor of a client.. he starts drilling me about all the different trees on the property... asking about this and that... i was a little annoyed cuz i was focused on pruning... but i helped him out... at the end he says "i'm going to be going on a trip soon and i want you to make sure all the trees on my property are looked after..." i say ok... yesterday he died.. i met his wife and found out he was in the last stage of cancer...

the roller stator on one of the chippers took a #### and started leaking all over the ####### feed wheel... i tore the ###### down and got to the point where all i had to do was separate the shaft from the wheel.. i searched and could not figure out how they come apart... the thing looked like it was shrunk fit to the *****...so before i took a sledge to it-- i gave up for the day... the next morning i crawled under the machine to find this tiny hole... i lined up the feed wheel with it and magically this hole appeared with bolt deep inside it... i cranked on the ***** and the whole pile of #### fell apart... i got you you #####... its the seal kit for you...

this smelly wheat farmer called me to fruit prune his hammered ass trees in his yard... i took him around and told him what i thought... i gave him the day i would be there and said bye... the day before his job was scheduled i got home from work and unloaded and loaded the truck with all the **** i need for his ####### job... then i went inside... got cleaned up... and sat down... while i was in the shower the smelly farmer left a voice message... "im calling to cancel-- but its not a bad thing.." i would have given just about anything to give that farmer just one hard kick in the back of the balls...

No signed contract?

you work with pansies.... it's getting to the shop that's the hard part when it's cold, especially when the boss asks if I want to take the crew out or take the day off. once I'm there I don't care how cold it is I want my 8 at a minimum!

Yep. And I agree, once I'm there I'm gonna do my time. Boss already called us off for tomorrow. -15 F plus 35 mph winds. I'll spend the day working on my woodpile I guess.

Yep. And I agree, once I'm there I'm gonna do my time. Boss already called us off for tomorrow. -15 F plus 35 mph winds. I'll spend the day working on my woodpile I guess.
We got called off as well we're supposed to make it above zero though so I don't see what the problem is. I was actually eyeing my wood pile too not sure if I want to dig the rounds out of the snow or not... guess I should have tarped the pile when I had the chance

Back