Gas and Oil Containers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just an FYI for people who hate safety cans as much as yours truly. Get on flea bay and type in vp racing cans and enjoy no safety wide mouth cans with vent.... you can buy the spout as well I got four 5 gallon cans with spouts for 115 bucks I believe... you can thank me later lol
Those look real nice, but I wouldn't have any need for the 5 gallon capacity. It would be nice if they came in 2 gallon.

I carry a 2½ Gallon plastic gas can of an era when people were expected to assume responsibility and practice common sense. In other words, one that works. I buy 2 gallons of premium gas at a time leaving plenty room for the oil and spill-less tilting.

P1070535.JPG

I've been reusing this old B&C oil quart bottle for over 30 years:

Reuse Bar Oil.JPG

One thing I really hate is the new vent free cans. I helped a lady who had run out of gas on the freeway and had to buy a small, overpriced can from the nearest gas station. Only lasted a few months before I broke the spout off of it.

I don't know what was wrong with the old vented ones like cus posted. They worked just fine.

I've got several of the cans like el quachito posted as well. A few with the rubber hose spouts that eventually break. I've been replacing them with solid steel caps that I've scrounged from other cans.

Love the old metal cans like that. They will last forever as long as you don't store them in damp conditions where they start to rust.

I have a variety of old school regular plastic cans, different sizes. I also have several saved up trufuel cans that are nice to refill with your own mix.

The only bulk I have seen around here for canned premix is one benjamin for a five gallon can, the VP stuff.

I use the large detergent/fabric softener jugs for oil, no spill spout and big enough for a gallon of oil. I use a 1 gal. plastic gas can with fixed flex spout and separate vent for mix. I mix fuel 1.5 liters at a time, ensuring it's always fresh.

Since retiring and doing my own laundry I discovered the marvelous pour spouts on those liquid laundry detergent jugs. Now I use them exclusively for all our 2 cylcle engines, bar oil, push mowers etc.

I'm a firm believer in leaving stuff in its original container unless it's size prohibitive, I've never been so tight on space that I couldn't pack a gallon jug of bar oil. It's funny when I hear guys talk about hoarding good gas containers because of how much they hate the new crap .. I have a hobby finding and buying every old Blitz can I come across.

On a side note I thought I'd post my crown jewel of cans ..belonged to grandad then my dad and now me. Its holds a little over one gallon and looks to have been designed to fill lanterns but the tiny spout works great with chainsaws....

image.jpg

I'm a firm believer in leaving stuff in its original container unless it's size prohibitive, I've never been so tight on space that I couldn't pack a gallon jug of bar oil. It's funny when I hear guys talk about hoarding good gas containers because of how much they hate the new crap .. I have a hobby finding and buying every old Blitz can I come across.

On a side note I thought I'd post my crown jewel of cans ..belonged to grandad then my dad and now me. Its holds a little over one gallon and looks to have been designed to fill lanterns but the tiny spout works great with chainsaws....

View attachment 408295
I have a few just like that! Some are blue and some are maroon. Perhaps maroon was a color for kerosine versus blue for diesel?

View attachment 408295

Your "crown jewel" happens to be my favorite as well. This one is 2 gallons and makes filling chainsaws easy. My dad bought it new 10-15 years ago. Still has the $11.99 price tag on it. The fact that it is easy to use is secondary to the fact that it now has sentimental value to me since my dad has passed.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 29
I tossed that WD40 can in the pic. for size comparison , the spout cap is the diameter of a penny. The size of the can and openings just seemed so small that it has to be for a little gas engine or a lantern. My dad told me that pre WWII my grandad worked a second job at the rail yard so I've always invisioned it coming from there.

What's a gas can? I use a 1 gallon windshield washer bottle for my 2 stroke mix and transfer b/c oil from a gallon jug into a qt oil bottle that has a sprite bottle cap in it. I lost the original cap one hot day a couple years ago and that was in the bed of truck and fit. I carry my bar oil, files, wedges (splitting and falling, only have 1 each) a tiny fire extinguisher, gloves and a couple rags in a bucket.

Used bar oil jugs work great for 2 cycle mix. Some even has a site glass and graduations so you can mix from a bulk straight gas can.

I hoard the old style gas cans and snatch them up when ever I can.

The tru fuel bottles work good for small amounts of mix if you cut the X thingee out so a funnel can be inserted.

I saw there at the true value they picked up echo brand and had 1 gallon mix in a steel can. Anyone used that ? It looked about like a coleman fuel can which I've also contemplated using as a mixed gas can.

Poking through the garage tonight I must have 25 metal fuel cans from 1 to 6 gallons. And I got rid of many of the junkier ones at a yard sale a few years ago.
SVK, I also have a huge amount of gas/diesel cans. When my employer was forced to use safety cans he told me to make all the old ones disappear! I gave away a dozen and still have at least 20! I also use the gear oil quart bottle with a spout for bar oil as other members mentioned.

With plastic be sure that it is HD PE, that is one of the few plastics approved for fuel and other chemicals! When you take that into account you are always on the safe side!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-density_polyethylene

I can find classic plastic containers in quart up to gallon sizes at any gas station/ repair shop / etc. in the garbage can. Typical screw cap almost always guarenteed.

I also have the old style plastic can for gas.
For b/c oil I use the gallon jug it comes in but take a screwdriver and poke two holes in the foil 1 for air and one to limit how much comes out.
I used to spill the oil once in a while but almost never now.
Chad

Latest posts

Back