Bar Oil Containers - diff fluid bottle alternatives??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just take a couple feet of rope and tie my gallon bar oil jug to my no spill can ,and pour the oil right from the jug it came in .Never saw a need for a small tip to slow it down during a fill up .

I just take a couple feet of rope and tie my gallon bar oil jug to my no spill can ,and pour the oil right from the jug it came in .Never saw a need for a small tip to slow it down during a fill up .
I'll get an exact pic of my suggestion, its really not necked down like that one pic I posted but the concept is the same.

With all these suggestion with about using aux cans, bottles and pour spouts one might think a tampon is required to pour oil from a jug.

You are probably more graceful than some of us klutzes!

The fill cap is also harder to access on some saws, more than on others.

Philbert

Philbert
Got an example? I find it gets easier if you lift the tip of the bar a few inches on the Huskies. Just a couple of inches from flat makes a lot of difference...

Philbert
I over fill it once in a while ,and the flippie cap just pushed the extra down the front of the saw ,wood chips soak up the oil spill once you start cutting .On my sawmill i refill every 10 minutes ,no time to be squeezing oil through a ketchup bottle .;)

I sometimes travel light, and just carry a 1 gal. plastic can of mix, and a repurposed creamer container (liquid coffee mate type). The flip top is easy to open but doesn't leak, and the v-spout is easy to pour.

Most of the time, though, I just use the gallon jug that I bought the bar oil in.

I find it gets easier if you lift the tip of the bar a few inches on the Huskies. Just a couple of inches from flat makes a lot of difference...
I find it is easiest if the saw is up on a table, then I can hold a gallon jug close to the edge, and slowly tip it to pour into the hole. On the ground, if the 1 gallon jug is full, it is hard to tip it slowly and aim - a half full one is easier.

But, as noted, I often don't need more than a quart of bar oil at a time. And not always working right out of a truck, so might not want to carry the larger container. Quart sized motor oil containers work too, but it is nice to have a smaller diameter, extended spout. Reduces the chance of missing and making a mess.

Got an example?
Not off the top of my head - I use a variety of saws. But I recall trying to position a gallon jug around an oil fill that was recessed a bit lower than the recoil cover, and almost blocked by the handle, and wondering what 'they' were thinking. On the other hand, one of my electric chainsaws has the bar oil fill spout located in a way that makes it really easy to fill and drain.

Philbert

photo 5.jpg

On a related issue . . .

Some of you will be shocked to learn that bar oil sometimes leaks from a saw!!! I address this 2 ways:

1. I place oil absorbent pads under the saws on a shelf, in their case, etc. Work much better than newspapers, etc.
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/chain-saw-diapers-keep-your-cases-cleaner.73699/

2: I now drain the bar oil out of saws that I don't expect to use for a while, instead of soaking it up and throwing it out. Easiest way for me to do this is to use those disposable, paper funnels from the gas stations, turn the saw over, and drain it back into the 1 gallon container for re-use. I suppose you could use a separate container if you wanted to keep it separate from your 'new' bar and chain oil. Don't have to get every drop out, just the bulk of it.

Philbert
1. My saws sit on a shelf made with oak boards/planks, whatever oil drips out of the saws after usage is soaking the wooden shelf protecting it from moist, roth and bugs.
I should intentionally soak the other boards of the shelf that don't (yet) have any saw sitting on them.

2. I keep reading this claim about leaking saws. How come?
Are there particular saws that like to leak due to a design flaw, or is it a matter of age, wear and tear?
Just curious as non of my few saws seem to leak oil or fuel.

... The fill cap is also harder to access on some saws, more than on others.

Philbert

Got an example? I find it gets easier if you lift the tip of the bar a few inches on the Huskies. Just a couple of inches from flat makes a lot of difference...
Sachs-Dolmar 105 / 108
The oil tank is easily accessible but has a really small opening.
The fuel tank is embedded in the left PH case half and the opening is directly under the chain brake and the front handle - this makes it tricky to refuel these saws.
Engaging the chain brake helps a little, but the container still has to be quite narrow necked to allow pouring without spilling.
Luckily the fuel tank has a nicely sized opening.

On my tablet now so no pictures, gonna find some that are posted in another thread and put up a link.

EDIT: Here is a link to a few pictures of my Sachs-Dolmar 105.
The first picture shows nicely the position of the fuel tank opening.
The Sachs-Dolmar 108 is the same saw/PH just featuring a rear handle instead of a top handle.
The "little" one is the 105, in case anyone was wondering! :rolleyes:
http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...lest-handy-chainsaw.30472/page-5#post-5665168

I keep reading this claim about leaking saws. How come?
Some 'leaking' is actually residual oil dripping off the bar and chain. Some saws will push oil out through the pump, or through a clogged pressure relief valve. Some saws leak through faulty gaskets.

My Oregon battery powered saws leak the least: I can leave the tanks full for months with almost no leakage. My Remington electric saw is the worst: it will empty out in just a few days.

Philbert

Some 'leaking' is actually residual oil dripping off the bar and chain. Some saws will push oil out through the pump, or through a clogged pressure relief valve. Some saws leak through faulty gaskets.

My Oregon battery powered saws leak the least: I can leave the tanks full for months with almost no leakage. My Remington electric saw is the worst: it will empty out in just a few days.

Philbert
I have that same remington i think ,lol mine leaks it all out in a couple days also ,handy for construction if have to cut a beam inside though .

I have that same remington i think ,lol mine leaks it all out in a couple days also ,handy for construction if have to cut a beam inside though .

Reminds me of my buddy... his wife kept nagging him about wanting a window in the bathroom.
Finally got fed up one day and grabs one of his saws. Fires it up in the bathroom and cuts a hole out (making a hell of a mess of course), staples up a sheet of visqueen and says, "THERE, YOU DONE ********? BTW CLEAN UP THE MESS AND WHERE'S SUPPER?"

PLEASE - Whatever bottle you use, label it clearly to show what is in it. I don't recommend bottles that contained anything for consumption - too big a risk of someone drinking it by mistake.
Right, because often when I run out of maple syrup I think to myself maybe I have an extra bottle out in the garage stored next to the chainsaws and gas cans, or when I order the greasy truckers breakfast sandwich down at the dandy on my way to the landing I think, I wonder why Tom carries a bottle of maple syrup in the took box. :crazy:

PLEASE - Whatever bottle you use, label it clearly to show what is in it. I don't recommend bottles that contained anything for consumption - too big a risk of someone drinking it by mistake.
FYI - Only reason I made this point was a local guy drank from a water bottle that contained acid but was not labeled. He died a pretty horrible death.

Right, because often when I run out of maple syrup I think to myself maybe I have an extra bottle out in the garage stored next to the chainsaws and gas cans, or when I order the greasy truckers breakfast sandwich down at the dandy on my way to the landing I think, I wonder why Tom carries a bottle of maple syrup in the took box.

Because of kids. No-one cares if you poison yourself.

Philbert

IMG_20151215_212432449.jpg
Start small on a new bottle and open more as some gets poured out. Perfect pour.

View attachment 470496
Start small on a new bottle and open more as some gets poured out. Perfect pour.
I was taught to hold the jug on its side when i was young so it does not glug out and spill ,then a slight twist when lift up the top ,maybe this should be a how to on how to pour milk ,looks like you got some on your chin under the smile on that lid ;)

I was taught to hold the jug on its side when i was young so it does not glug out and spill ,then a slight twist when lift up the top ,maybe this should be a how to on how to pour milk ,looks like you got some on your chin under the smile on that lid ;)
When it's a round bottle it don't matter what side you turn it to they are all the same. You still get stringers from the tac but no spilage and the foil vent keeps it from glugging. :yes:

Back