Grab and go chainsaw kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many young people had to look up what a VCR tape is. Never know the joys of sub 360 bit quality, sound that wavered where someone had paused it too long, adjusting tracking, head cleaning tapes(or Q-tips and alcohol), and "be kind, rewind". We used to have a tape rewinder that looked like a Delorean. Ahh, the memories.

I have a portable reel to reel audio recorder somewhere. Bet it's "vintage" now. I should see what it's worth and let someone else enjoy it, rather than letting it rot in a box somewhere.

Log truck has probably the most cut down Oh **** saw kit of all of mine, and gets used regularly
1qt bar oil
1gal non ethanol mix fuel
2-3 spare chains
1 saw wrench
036 with a 20" bar (though I'm considering a 25-28 just for the log truck saw)

Gloves are kept by the bale in the log truck... ear plugs while I fully advocate for, I'm not planning on running the saw more then a few minutes so I don't bother then, eye protection? whats that (squints with the good eye) I may start carrying a file if I switch to the longer bar, but with spare chains its quicker to swap chains.

enough to cut me out of a pickle but not so much as to take up limited space, as since its a self loather its sent into the deepest pits of incompetence around... so I have to also carry spare hoses, a full set of tools, several hard hats, rain gear, chains, binders, tire chains, 18 pounds of spare hydraulic fittings, spare lights, tape, spare air hose, and spare air fittings, hacksaw, pipe hammer, axe and a shovel... all in or around a 2 seater cab

When I get the dumb truck back, it might get a battery powered saw, just enough for self rescue and maybe a spare chain.
Add a chip brush, a dead blow hammer and a couple of wedges, an Israeli bandage and your kit is the same as mine. I keep mine in a milk crate that I permanently "borrowed". I took some pieces of PVC, cut them out, zip tied it to the inside of the crate and that is what holds the chip brush, saw wrench and dead blow hammer. Everything fits inside the crate.

Add a chip brush, a dead blow hammer and a couple of wedges, an Israeli bandage and your kit is the same as mine. I keep mine in a milk crate that I permanently "borrowed". I took some pieces of PVC, cut them out, zip tied it to the inside of the crate and that is what holds the chip brush, saw wrench and dead blow hammer. Everything fits inside the crate.
well... the log truck has a dedicated air line... the israeli bandages are cool, but I have a full kit in every truck (osha and ****)
And everything I own has at least one felling axe, and saw wrenches are everywhere... literally... theres 2 on the desk right now, and at least one in muh pockets.

I thought about going this route. I have a Kobalt 80v 18" chainsaw and a Rigid cordless reciprocating saw. I decided against it for essentially two reasons.

First, I use the battery saw and reciprocating saw frequently. They're scattered around, in various levels of readiness and cleanliness, with batteries in various levels of charge, and in various places. I'd still be running around gathering up bits and pieces, when I really just want to grab a duffel bag and toss it in the truck and done. I'm lazy like that.

Second, batteries don't store nearly as much energy as gasoline. I have four batteries for the Kobalt saw, and those four batteries take up about the same amount of room as a gallon of gasoline. All four batteries together let me cut enough maple to fill my little Toyota pickup. Each battery takes half an hour to recharge, and the charger is about the same size as the battery. At home I have three chargers, plenty of space, plenty of AC power, and plenty of time. In the truck, none of that is the case. The reciprocating saw is even worse. These battery gadgets are great for around the house, and worked better than I expected on an experimental basis to fill my Yota, but aren't something I'm willing to mess with in the woods yet. Like I said, the four Kobalt batteries are about the same volume as a gallon of gas, but you could easily cut 20x more on that same gallon of gas.

REALLY DID NOT MEAN to even imply that the recip saw replaces chainsaw, gas or electric, but a recip takes MUCH less space, beats nothing, can be used by the wife/ daughter/ son to put branches under tire in snow/ice, or cut dead limb firewood, and might clear a road of a small pine under 8-inch. Sure better to call for help/tow/winch/chainsaw, but..... I was amazed by mine in storm cleanup in my yard.

REALLY DID NOT MEAN to even imply that the recip saw replaces chainsaw, gas or electric, but a recip takes MUCH less space, beats nothing, can be used by the wife/ daughter/ son to put branches under tire in snow/ice, or cut dead limb firewood, and might clear a road of a small pine under 8-inch. Sure better to call for help/tow/winch/chainsaw, but..... I was amazed by mine in storm cleanup in my yard.
I have used a battery powered reciprocating saw in a number of storm responses. It is great when the trees are entangled with sheetmetal, plywood, wires, nail embedded lumber, etc., especially, with a carbide, nail cutting blade. Also good for tree roots, using a ‘sacrificial’ $3 wood blade, and pruning in tight spaces with a pruning blade.

Obviously, slower than a chainsaw for limbs of any size.

Philbert

Alright folks, help me out here. Trying to nail down the right bag and striking out so far.

I've tied a couple duffel bags and a tool bag, and they were proportioned all wrong. Tried a bag for a kid's playpen, which was closer to the right proportions, but still not right. I might get some coroplast or foam for the bottom, so it doesn't bend and jumble everything up when picked up, see if that helps.

Looking for something like these:
https://offroaddownunder.com.au/product/ord-chainsaw-bag-medium/https://crashpadgear.com/products/chainsaw-bag-storm
But in the USA, and cheap.

Anyone know if this Trilink bag has room for fuel and bar oil in it?

https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/1228768-trilink-chainsaw-carry-bag.html
Whole thing is ironic. I used to make fun of people who put their saws in cases. Oh a bag, that's cute. Are you going to tuck your saw into and kiss it good night, too? Yet here I am.

Any ideas?

I like keeping my saws and gear in separate cases. Except for things that are specific to a certain saw (chains, spare essentials, etc.). That lets me grab the common stuff (fuel, bar oil, rags, wedges, files, etc.) for whatever saw I am using.

Philbert

Here's what I wound up with. Pulled the bar off the saw, and threw everything into a bag I had handy. It actually fits quite well.

The fuel jug is a "utility" jug in the shape of a milk jug. I printed "NO OIL" on the jug, just so there's no confusion.

Couple pairs of gloves, handful of foam ear plugs, safety glasses still in the package, couple screnches, spare bar nuts, quart of motor/bar oil. Bar and chain, and a spare bar and chain, are in scabbards along side the powerhead. One pair of gloves is padding the fuel jug from the dogs on the saw.

High winds predicted for tonight and tomorrow, so I tossed it in the car.

IMG_20220403_190211.jpgIMG_20220403_190240.jpg

Hey yota, just saw this thread, does your bag have a solid bottom?

I have some old mud flaps that could be cut to fit the bottom of your bag. I also have some sheet Poly Urethane foam, think “pool noodle “ in sheet form, leftover from my days driving for the foam company, probably 1/4-1/2” thick. The sheet PU could be used on top of, and or under the flap material to cushion and protect the bottom of your bag

I have been working in Medford again the last month and a half, likely for several more weeks. I could meet you in Salem again, either mid-late Monday mornings or Early-mid Saturday afternoons, on my way down, or back home each week.

Let me know if you’re interested

Doug

@Husky Man Yessir, solid bottom on the bag. I have some leftover conveyor belting that would have worked too, though.

Happy to do coffee again on a convenient Saturday though, now that they'll actually let us in the damned restaurant.

Latest posts

Back