Grab and go chainsaw kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OM617YOTA

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Do you guys keep a chainsaw kit handy? Guessing I'm way behind the curve on this one.

I only keep a little Stanley pruning saw in my truck full time. I don't keep a permanent truck saw, and don't want one, but several times per year I'd like to have a saw with me, just in case. I usually don't, just because it's a pain in the butt to gather up all the pieces, so I'm thinking about putting together a chainsaw kit. Just a bag I can grab and go, and don't have to worry about it beyond that. 99% of the time it won't be needed and will just stay in that bag. Almost certainly use the 4 stroke saw, so that fuel and motor oil can interchange with the truck. Bar oil can just be motor oil, and no worrying about mix. Not meant to be able to fell redwoods or buck a hundred cords of wood, just clear a tree across a logging road or maybe some firewood for a camp fire.

largish duffel bag, water/oil proof on the bottom at least
saw
quart(?) of bar oil
couple quarts(?) of fuel
spare chain or chains
spare bar
scrench
spare bar nuts
ear plugs
safety glasses
gloves
sharpening file

Suggestions on appropriate fuel or bar oil containers would be welcome. While Trufuel keeps forever, the cans are surprisingly delicate, so I'm leaning towards MSR camp fuel bottles or similar. Probably fill them with non ethanol premium, treated with Stabil.

Anything else I'm forgetting?

Do you guys keep a chainsaw kit handy? Guessing I'm way behind the curve on this one.

I only keep a little Stanley pruning saw in my truck full time. I don't keep a permanent truck saw, and don't want one, but several times per year I'd like to have a saw with me, just in case. I usually don't, just because it's a pain in the butt to gather up all the pieces, so I'm thinking about putting together a chainsaw kit. Just a bag I can grab and go, and don't have to worry about it beyond that. 99% of the time it won't be needed and will just stay in that bag. Almost certainly use the 4 stroke saw, so that fuel and motor oil can interchange with the truck. Bar oil can just be motor oil, and no worrying about mix. Not meant to be able to fell redwoods or buck a hundred cords of wood, just clear a tree across a logging road or maybe some firewood for a camp fire.

saw
quart(?) of bar oil
couple quarts(?) of fuel
spare chain or chains
spare bar
scrench
spare bar nuts
ear plugs
safety glasses
gloves
sharpening file

Suggestions on appropriate fuel or bar oil containers would be welcome. While Trufuel keeps forever, the cans are surprisingly delicate, so I'm leaning towards MSR camp fuel bottles or similar. Probably fill them with non ethanol premium, treated with Stabil.

Log truck has probably the most cut down Oh **** saw kit of all of mine, and gets used regularly
1qt bar oil
1gal non ethanol mix fuel
2-3 spare chains
1 saw wrench
036 with a 20" bar (though I'm considering a 25-28 just for the log truck saw)

Gloves are kept by the bale in the log truck... ear plugs while I fully advocate for, I'm not planning on running the saw more then a few minutes so I don't bother then, eye protection? whats that (squints with the good eye) I may start carrying a file if I switch to the longer bar, but with spare chains its quicker to swap chains.

enough to cut me out of a pickle but not so much as to take up limited space, as since its a self loather its sent into the deepest pits of incompetence around... so I have to also carry spare hoses, a full set of tools, several hard hats, rain gear, chains, binders, tire chains, 18 pounds of spare hydraulic fittings, spare lights, tape, spare air hose, and spare air fittings, hacksaw, pipe hammer, axe and a shovel... all in or around a 2 seater cab

When I get the dumb truck back, it might get a battery powered saw, just enough for self rescue and maybe a spare chain.

Log truck has probably the most cut down Oh **** saw kit of all of mine, and gets used regularly
1qt bar oil
1gal non ethanol mix fuel
2-3 spare chains
1 saw wrench
036 with a 20" bar (though I'm considering a 25-28 just for the log truck saw)

Gloves are kept by the bale in the log truck... ear plugs while I fully advocate for, I'm not planning on running the saw more then a few minutes so I don't bother then, eye protection? whats that (squints with the good eye) I may start carrying a file if I switch to the longer bar, but with spare chains its quicker to swap chains.

enough to cut me out of a pickle but not so much as to take up limited space, as since its a self loather its sent into the deepest pits of incompetence around... so I have to also carry spare hoses, a full set of tools, several hard hats, rain gear, chains, binders, tire chains, 18 pounds of spare hydraulic fittings, spare lights, tape, spare air hose, and spare air fittings, hacksaw, pipe hammer, axe and a shovel... all in or around a 2 seater cab

When I get the dumb truck back, it might get a battery powered saw, just enough for self rescue and maybe a spare chain.
That's about perfect, thank you.

saw
quart(?) of bar oil
couple quarts(?) of fuel
spare chain or chains
spare bar
scrench
spare bar nuts
ear plugs
safety glasses
gloves
sharpening file

saw
quart(?) of bar oil
couple quarts(?) of fuel
spare chain or chains
spare bar
scrench
spare bar nuts
ear plugs
safety glasses
gloves
sharpening file

While I run chainsaws, BEST for a truckbox,= requires no oil, no gas, no chains, no files required, and LESS storage space is a RYOBI ONE+ RECIP SAW, w/ 12-inch PRUNING BLADES; maybe spare blades (6-pack), (BUY good bimetal blades) extra batteries, 150w INVERTER and 120v CHARGER? YOU maybe amazed, and cheap compared to Milwaukee, etc.? and Good for upto 6-10-inch? and spouse can use in emergency, too? Consider it, I was amazed after recent ice storm.

I made a wooden tote that holds my saw gear. It was made out of scrapes found in my shop.... 1/2" CDX, old growth pine from Woolworth's stock shelving, and a walnut handle I turned on the lathe... glued and nailed together.

In use a gallon of fuel fits on the left end, bar oil, water bottle and 3 lb. drilling hammer on the right. The center compartment holds 5 chains (2 for the MS261, 2 for the MS461 and 1 for the HT131 pole saw), a half dozen wedges, scrench, small parts box (E-clips, cage bearings, rim sprockets, washers, bar nuts), gloves, folding Silky. Sometimes I bring a stump vise and sharpening gear but I generally swap out chains in the field. The helmet hangs on either end of the handle supports. First aid kit, peavey or cant hook, ropes, snatch blocks, tow straps, rake, shovel, chainsaw pants, hard toe boots, axe, and saws go too! The gear is mostly used to clean up storm damage and hazard trees and it rides in the back of the vehicle on most jobs.

I've been thinking about making another box or modifying this one. Ideas I've kicked around include a divided drawer on the bottom to hold loose chains; or a slide up partition to hold chains; or a slide up box to hold chains. A partition for the wedges would be handy too. Loose chains in the center proved to be problematic and the cardboard chain boxes don't last as long as the chains... looking for other options to consider.

SawBox.jpg

I made a wooden tote that holds my saw gear. It was made out of scrapes found in my shop.... 1/2" CDX, old growth pine from Woolworth's stock shelving, and a walnut handle I turned on the lathe... glued and nailed together.

In use a gallon of fuel fits on the left end, bar oil, water bottle and 3 lb. drilling hammer on the right. The center compartment holds 5 chains (2 for the MS261, 2 for the MS461 and 1 for the HT131 pole saw), a half dozen wedges, scrench, small parts box (E-clips, cage bearings, rim sprockets, washers, bar nuts), gloves, folding Silky. Sometimes I bring a stump vise and sharpening gear but I generally swap out chains in the field. The helmet hangs on either end of the handle supports. First aid kit, peavey or cant hook, ropes, snatch blocks, tow straps, rake, shovel, chainsaw pants, hard toe boots, axe, and saws go too! The gear is mostly used to clean up storm damage and hazard trees and it rides in the back of the vehicle on most jobs.

I've been thinking about making another box or modifying this one. Ideas I've kicked around include a divided drawer on the bottom to hold loose chains; or a slide up partition to hold chains; or a slide up box to hold chains. A partition for the wedges would be handy too. Loose chains in the center proved to be problematic and the cardboard chain boxes don't last as long as the chains... looking for other options to consider.

View attachment 971275
I would get a little canvas bag for chains. They’ll hold onto oil to keep rust off and not cut through if they are heavy enough.

View attachment 971275
One TRICK I use w/ chains is CLEAN, SHARPENED, OILED= ZIPLOCK BAG vs used/dull=Loose; if concerns about size, you can magic marker, or even MM Index card inside bag?

I would get a little canvas bag for chains. They’ll hold onto oil to keep rust off and not cut through if they are heavy enough.
I actually had considered making a leather compartmented rollup pouch for sharp and clean chains but thought that might be excessive. The "used" chains could all go in a box of some sort. I'm considering it again!

One TRICK I use w/ chains is CLEAN, SHARPENED, OILED= ZIPLOCK BAG vs used/dull=Loose; if concerns about size, you can magic marker, or even MM Index card inside bag?
Don't the chains eat through the bags in handling? The sharp points on sharp Stihl Rapid Super chains are rather unforgiving...

Don't the chains eat through the bags in handling? The sharp points on sharp Stihl Rapid Super chains are rather unforgiving...
The freezer style bags hold up surprisingly well. I saved used ones that are clean for this.

Dog treats, snacks, and some other items come in very heavy, mylar, Ziploc bags, which hold up for a really long time. The only issue is that they are not clear, so if you have to mark them, or sort them, so that you know what chain is inside them.

Philbert

2 or a roll of 55 gallon trash bags ,the heavy mil kind.
Good for after you've spilled gas and oil all over the saw ,before you place it back in the vehicle after use.
Those puppy pee pads work pretty good for leaky saws. Or the bed pads in the adult care section.

Back