Grab and go chainsaw kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
battery saw??

While I run chainsaws, BEST for a truckbox,= requires no oil, no gas, no chains, no files required, and LESS storage space is a RYOBI ONE+ RECIP SAW, w/ 12-inch PRUNING BLADES; maybe spare blades (6-pack), (BUY good bimetal blades) extra batteries, 150w INVERTER and 120v CHARGER? YOU maybe amazed, and cheap compared to Milwaukee, etc.? and Good for upto 6-10-inch? and spouse can use in emergency, too? Consider it, I was amazed after recent ice storm.
I thought about going this route. I have a Kobalt 80v 18" chainsaw and a Rigid cordless reciprocating saw. I decided against it for essentially two reasons.

First, I use the battery saw and reciprocating saw frequently. They're scattered around, in various levels of readiness and cleanliness, with batteries in various levels of charge, and in various places. I'd still be running around gathering up bits and pieces, when I really just want to grab a duffel bag and toss it in the truck and done. I'm lazy like that.

Second, batteries don't store nearly as much energy as gasoline. I have four batteries for the Kobalt saw, and those four batteries take up about the same amount of room as a gallon of gasoline. All four batteries together let me cut enough maple to fill my little Toyota pickup. Each battery takes half an hour to recharge, and the charger is about the same size as the battery. At home I have three chargers, plenty of space, plenty of AC power, and plenty of time. In the truck, none of that is the case. The reciprocating saw is even worse. These battery gadgets are great for around the house, and worked better than I expected on an experimental basis to fill my Yota, but aren't something I'm willing to mess with in the woods yet. Like I said, the four Kobalt batteries are about the same volume as a gallon of gas, but you could easily cut 20x more on that same gallon of gas.

While I run chainsaws, BEST for a truckbox,= requires no oil, no gas, no chains, no files required, and LESS storage space is a RYOBI ONE+ RECIP SAW, w/ 12-inch PRUNING BLADES; maybe spare blades (6-pack), (BUY good bimetal blades) extra batteries, 150w INVERTER and 120v CHARGER? YOU maybe amazed, and cheap compared to Milwaukee, etc.? and Good for upto 6-10-inch? and spouse can use in emergency, too? Consider it, I was amazed after recent ice storm.
I could not agree more. I have a Milwaukee 18vt and us the same arborist blades. I like that set up a lot form a safety prospective.

My saw kit is a repurposed Milk Crate with a light sheet metal floor and divider to separate the compartments . The notches cut along
the top rail allows my SXL AO to sit on top for fueling and oiling .

Attachments

• IMG_4173.JPG
    IMG_4173.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4174.JPG
    IMG_4174.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
This afternoon I cleaned about a face cord of saw swarf, leaves, and twigs out of my tote; took half the tools out and put them in my tool box, took 4 of 6 bottles of mix oil out and put them on the shelf, and sharpened 5 of the chains--the sixth is brand new. I also did maintenance/cleaning on the 261 and 461. Yesterday I did maintenance/cleaning on the 170 (I got that yesterday) and on my pole saw. Everything is clean and serviced and all my chains are sharp! The justification/niche purpose of the 170 is for light pruning and light trail maintenance... It was a demo saw and was new for all intents and purposes. For $80 I couldn't pass it up!

Anyhow, while repacking the tote I played around a bit with how I arranged things. Based on that I'm leaning towards making some dividers for the main compartment to hold the chains, wedges, tools, etc. For the chains I'm leaning towards some kind of plastic containers that can be placed in the tote in a manner similar to the chain boxes in the photo. Maybe something like the Flambeau box shown below with inside dimensions of 2 9/16 in X 3 11/16 in X 13/16 in. I suspect that rigid boxes would work best in my tote.

SawBox2.jpg

1646972315210.png

My saw kit is a repurposed Milk Crate with a light sheet metal floor and divider to separate the compartments . The notches cut along
the top rail allows my SXL AO to sit on top for fueling and oiling .
That's what I used before I made my wooden tote. It worked great when I had one saw but with three (now 4) I needed more room for the different chains and small parts. It's visible in the background in the photo I just posted... it holds my back up inventory of chains, wedges, etc.

I like the cheap rubber truck floor mats to set saws on the floor behind the seat, they catch and hold the oil/saw dust until it gets hosed off. Combi can with a extra chain, 2 wedges, 2 files and scrench. in the pocket on the back of the seat i keep a hammer, stump vise, bug repellant, a clean rag or three and a screwdriver set. If room is needed the saw/mat/combi can be removed in one trip to make room for three more azzes to sit.

We used 4 gallon buckets for years to carry all our saw stuff...but they're a pain because the lids suck, the handles like to bend/break off, and they like to slide/tip over...

I ended up with a little Cabela's fabric style bag with a main zippered area, zippered pockets on all sides. I don't keep my oil/gas in there. I have separate containers for that. But I have everything else on your list in there as well as a first aid kit, ear plugs, and one of those 1 gallon containers of mix oil. Never know when you're going to run out of mix. I've had to use this when another guy's fuel wasn't good so he ended up using mine.

I keep my scrench and a round file on my belt, the bag with all the stuff generally stays in my truck. Gas and oil I put away from the falling area, but closer than the truck usually.

I like the echo hard cases. I have one for all my smaller saws. Holds everything I need except gas and bar oil (unless you buy it by the quart bottle.) My gas and oil get lugged around in an old apple crate.
47bba036b2d144aa82f6af24c6644ee0.jpg

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

Got the duffel bag located, just have to go buy it. Received the gas can I'm going to use yesterday, basically a much tougher milk jug. Need to grab a quart of motor oil, that'll be both motor oil for the saw and bar oil. I only buy motor oil by the 5 quart jug, and I'm not adding that to the kit, so will grab a quart for the kit. Couple other little bits and bobs and it'll be together.

No extra saw for this kit, but an extra bar and a couple extra chains, yes.

When I'm actually expecting to cut wood, yes an extra saw or two. That's not what this kit is meant for.

I have a cabin saw at my place in the North woods. An "extra bar" solves the question of what to do if you get pinched as do a couple wedges. I have the additional limitation of being vulnerable to break in and theft so the cost of the whole package has to be under $100. This saw is a low hour used Poulan 2550 with new fuel lines and carb kit. It has never seen anything but premix engineered fuel and is stored bone dry with the bar oil drained and a couple drops of 2 stroke in the cylinder "fogged" for rust protection. Has basically all the stuff described above plus a pair of anti vibe gloves, ear plug, and a can of pre-mix fuel stored upright along side it along with a pair of chaps. It's not a grab and go its a set and forget.

1-gal metal Coleman cans make good gas cans and keep the fuel fresh without vapors coming out a vented cap. For bar oil a large plastic dish detergent bottle works well, or small spouted laundry detergent bottle (bigger ones work for fuel too).

A spare spark plug should go along in addition to 1-2 chains and bar nuts. A length of recoil rope. Peanut butter jars work to put chains in. Fuel/impulse/oil lines and filters for those w/a spare air filter, these don't take up much space (these I consider optional but handy). Besides the air filter these should fit in another peanut butter jar. If saw has an oil line under clutch one of those too.

Minimum tools are: 1) screnches, one with a screwdriver the other with a T-27 torx tip, 2) a small screwdriver for Hi/Lo screws, a phillips if the saw has those, 3) a few small combo wrenches, 1/4" drive sockets w/an extension and breaker bar or rachet , just what you need in that particular saw (8mm 10mm etc) ( I also have a small 1/4" set about the size of two ciggy packs either/or), 4) a tool to clean out the bar groove, I make my own, 4) small paint or parts brush to clean off sawdust grunge, 5) a few pieces of sandpaper and a scotchbrite, 6) needle nose, hemostats (for fuel oil lines in tanks) and channel lock pliers, 7) a few rags, roll of paper towel (TP substitute), 8) bar scabbard (on saw), 9) Duct and electrical tape, 10) one or two jumper wires and some mechanics wire, 11) a few small tubes of super glue (handy for small cuts too), 12) an optional group would be some clean braided nylon rope for piston stop, flywheel tool/puller, and larger wrenches to fit clutch and flywheel (screnches might work for these)

I can fit the above in a 5-gal pickle bucket with well fitting lid easy

I won't go into wedges/chains/ropes/axes, safety equip, medical kit etc........

Back