Bar Oil Containers - diff fluid bottle alternatives??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

computeruser

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So, anyone have a suggestion for a bar oil container that is similar in size/shape to a differential fluid bottle or MSR fuel canister or TruFuel canister, but holds up better in actual use than a diff fluid bottle?

I've been using diff fluid bottles for a few years because the pour tops are really great for spill-free filling and they fit in the pack I take to the woods, but I keep losing the caps or having the tops pop off the threads on the bottle. And now that I no longer own a Jeep, I no longer have reason to go through five or ten diff bottles per year, so I'm looking for other options short of buying diff lube I don't need, just to get the bottles.

Anyone know of a better bottle option, similar in design/concept and more durable?

I can't remember who, but someone here mentioned using a dishwashing liquid bottle. It has worked great for me so far and I don't waste any oil. by the time I wear this one out maybe I'll have a new dishwashing liquid bottle to use.

I just use an old one quart power steering fluid container. It lives in my tool bag when i go out, and contains more than enough oil to fill my truck and or trailer.

when I bought my top handle, the dealer talked me into buying a can of the premix stihl fuel. (I'm a sucker but dude was really nice). anyway, it comes in a metal container and that container has become the new b/c oil bottle. opening is small enough to make refilling easy.

Lots of food, shampoo, etc., bottles that could be used. There are also a wide variety of bicycle water bottles that could be used: different sizes, different caps, etc. Basic ones are pretty inexpensive. Some even come with their own carrying cages!

Screen shot 2015-12-13 at 9.42.12 PM.png

Philbert

1 Liter Shell engine oil container, plastic, has a nice top shape for pouring, quite sturdy.
Have no pictures on my tablet, will post some when on my PC.

Edit: Here is a picture of the Shell container I use for fuel!
http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...00-ps-6400-ps-7900.267359/page-2#post-5069535
I do it the same. You can get these small pint size containers for free at every gas-/ car repair station. They usually have them in a special garbage can where you can pick out the size and form you like. They are all HDPE, so you can also use them for gas/mix/etc. if you want. They often even have 4 or 5 litre/~ 1 gallon containers thrown into the trash which make excelent spare jugs if you need them. And the "better" brands even have some real nice tricked out jug designs with air holes etc.

Should you choose to pay for it, these folks have about anything you could imagine.
There have been many times when I went to the grocery store looking for a container. Buying the shampoo, pancake syrup, or other food product., was just a distraction. Usually still cheaper than buying an empty container! In our neighborhood, the recycling bins are left out front on collection day; just sayin' . . . .

Philbert

I'm not too excited about the issue, I just pour out of the gallon jug into the saw...but I have gotten some bottles from here...a chem resistant spray bottle for Hagen brew, and some little squirt bottles for fish oil when I trap,but surprising how much a new empty bottle costs sometimes

On a related issue . . .

Some of you will be shocked to learn that bar oil sometimes leaks from a saw!!! I address this 2 ways:

1. I place oil absorbent pads under the saws on a shelf, in their case, etc. Work much better than newspapers, etc.
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/chain-saw-diapers-keep-your-cases-cleaner.73699/

2: I now drain the bar oil out of saws that I don't expect to use for a while, instead of soaking it up and throwing it out. Easiest way for me to do this is to use those disposable, paper funnels from the gas stations, turn the saw over, and drain it back into the 1 gallon container for re-use. I suppose you could use a separate container if you wanted to keep it separate from your 'new' bar and chain oil. Don't have to get every drop out, just the bulk of it.

Philbert

We can all learn from our ancestors.
il_fullxfull.500534348_sbsf.jpg

I've never had any issues with pouring from a bar oil jug. The bottom side (about 1/3) of the foil get cut following the mouth of the circular opening them folded down and into the jug then. Small slit in the top for air to enter back into the jug. You'll thank me later. :cool: ;)

Back