splitter stuck in up position

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spotking

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My first post. Have a northstar 3000 splitter--the ( 1/2 inch steel) release pin got bent --was splitting some 35 inch hickory-- I can barely get to it with a hammer to try to bend it back to straight-- does adding heat with a torch help-- stupid question probably -- any suggestions? I read this site alot --have a 026 and a 290-- just get wood for fun to relax and to give away--WAY better than golf or EXERCISE!! I'm 64 still work full time --do this stuff when I get off work. Thanks

Spotking, welcome to the madness. Is there a way to take the pin completely out? I have a DHT 27 ton that has a spring with a clip on it which could be similar to yours. Remove the clip/cotter key or whatever yours has to allow it to move through the spring and try to fanagle the pin out of the mount. You might need a punch and a bfh to get it out of there. Once removed you might be able to straighten it or replace it with a hardened tractor pin or whatever you prefer.

Welcome spotking. I would avoid heat if possible. It does no harm to the pin you will be replacing but can damage the beams around that pin. Is it in a spot where you can cut it so that it doesn't need to follow the bent shape to be removed?

Welcome to A.S. !

Assume that the pin looks something like this ?
Screen shot 2015-08-03 at 5.02.21 PM.png

Since it is bent, you might want to replace the pin anyway. Maybe you can cut it into sections to remove, using a Dremel cut off wheel, metal cutting blade in a reciprocating saw (Sawzall), etc?

Philbert

First, thanks for the replies--the picture is accurate-- the splitter is not at my house but at a friends property where I go to cut and split-- I will go out in a day or two and study it with these suggestions in mind-- I have access to tools--to cut if I can get power to them. THANKS!!! Will update. ( Also I meant 30 ton splitter not 3000)

First, thanks for the replies--the picture is accurate-- the splitter is not at my house but at a friends property where I go to cut and split-- I will go out in a day or two and study it with these suggestions in mind-- I have access to tools--to cut if I can get power to them. THANKS!!! Will update. ( Also I meant 30 ton splitter not 3000)
I went out today and with a hammer and pliers bent it back straight enough to get it loose. Will go ahead and replace the pin although I rarely use it in the upright position. Nice to have a place to ask questions. Thanks for the help.

Back