Wood splitter in horizontal position

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyboy553

Oakaholic
Reaction score
I always thought it would be nice to have a splitter that went vertical for splitting those large pieces. After helping someone who has one, I discovered I really didn't want one after all. Very hard to get the piece situated on the splitter, plus always working in a bent over, very uncomfortable position.
So, I built and attached a hydraulic hoist to my old 35 ton homemade splitter. In my mind, this is far easier to use. Just roll the piece on to the hoist and lift it up! Plus, when not used as a hoist, I position it to hold multiple pieces so I don't have to leave the operator position as often.
My question is, for you that have one of those convertibles, do you like that option? And do you use it very often? Have you had to make any adaptations to it to use it?

Last edited:
I always thought it would be nice to have a splitter that went horizontal for splitting those large pieces. After helping someone who has one, I discovered I really didn't want one after all. Very hard to get the piece situated on the splitter, plus always working in a bent over, very uncomfortable position.
So, I built and attached a hydraulic hoist to my old 35 ton homemade splitter. In my mind, this is far easier to use. Just roll the piece on to the hoist and lift it up! Plus, when not used as a hoist, I position it to hold multiple pieces so I don't have to leave the operator position as often.
My question is, for you that have one of those convertibles, do you like that option? And do you use it very often? Have you had to make any adaptations to it to use it?

I think your first sentence needs the word vertical in place of horizontal....

Given that I load all my wood into my truck before getting to a splitter, I opted for the horizontal ONLY style. If I can't lift it on the truck, then it gets noodled.

The benefits are the wedge is fixed, making it more robust for 4-way and the wood is pushed away after splitting.

Like you, I found it annoying working in vertical mode - slightly harder to maneuver, and more wear & tear on the body.

In summer I bring everything home..

I think your first sentence needs the word vertical in place of horizontal....

Given that I load all my wood into my truck before getting to a splitter, I opted for the horizontal ONLY style. If I can't lift it on the truck, then it gets noodled.

The benefits are the wedge is fixed, making it more robust for 4-way and the wood is pushed away after splitting.

Like you, I found it annoying working in vertical mode - slightly harder to maneuver, and more wear & tear on the body.

but in the winter I take the splitter to the woods and stockpile split wood there, retrieving it when it's just too hot to cut.
I have a 4 way option on my splitter also, but am going to adapt that this summer. Am going to make the 4 way hydraulic so I can adjust to fit the log.
Then I will have the ultimate splitter! lol And will take some pics of it.

I also use horizontal only, as i don't like to work down on the ground.
I have a large work table on mine that's very nice!

My splitter swings to vertical, but I cant remember the last time I swung it down for anything.Far faster to noodle a big chunk then wrestle the big round on the ground, not to mention really agravating on the back. Waste of time and money, the next one will be horizontal only.

Ya'll are just a bunch of big ol' sissies! Wear and tear. Ain't never heard such garbage. :msp_biggrin: For me, it's easier to work in vert mode. I guess 'cause I'm so dang tall. Like everything else, it's built to suit a 5'9" operator. My back can't hang being in the "half bent" position. I know, big ol' sissy. Dang hypocrite. I've tried 'em both and I can split twice as much in vertical mode. Now all I need to do is swap sides with the control valve then I'd really be in business, lol.

Steve

I agree. My splitter does Vert, and Horz. The only time I use the Vert is when it's a very large (and heavy ) log. And then I just use it to split the large log in half so I can split it the rest in the Horz position.

It just hurts my back to much to split in the Vert position for more than a few logs.

Maybe one day I'll get a Hyd lift type of splitter.

Ya'll are just a bunch of big ol' sissies! Wear and tear. Ain't never heard such garbage. :msp_biggrin: For me, it's easier to work in vert mode. I guess 'cause I'm so dang tall. Like everything else, it's built to suit a 5'9" operator. My back can't hang being in the "half bent" position. I know, big ol' sissy. Dang hypocrite. I've tried 'em both and I can split twice as much in vertical mode. Now all I need to do is swap sides with the control valve then I'd really be in business, lol.

Steve
I tried to run horizontally, but now I've gone back to vertical and noodle fewer rounds. Safety is a factor also. The vertical position just feels safer for me, and I've heard too many horror stories about guys getting their hand (usually the left) caught between the log and the toe plate during a split.

Yes, it's a bit slower, but I don't mind that. It seem's like I have more control of the split log size also. And, I have far fewer jam ups with crotch wood because I can analyze the log better before starting the split.

To each his own.

Horizontal is the way to go!

Yep, I agree that horizontal is the way to go! Add in a log lift which the OP mentioned. Vertical is good if you don't mind working on your knees.

Also, with the wedge stationary the wood is pushed away from the splitter.

Now...I'm trying to get the motivation to go outside and do some cutting. Currently it's around 1 out there.

most vertical/horizontal log splitters don't have a hydraulic lift.
which to me is mandatory when using horizontal mode.

most of my splitting is with wood 2-4ft diameter or way too heavy to lift without a lift. vertical makes way more sense than horizontal for large wood without a lift.

if I had a hydraulic lift ... horizontal mode would probably be used more.
currently almost never use horizontal mode on my Speeco 35 ton.
which IMHO is one of the best dual mode splitters available.

big rounds has to be noodled down to manageable size even for vertical.
other wise too much time/energy is wasted wrestling round into place.

for total effort spent splitting BIG rounds ... it'd be hard to beat a 35 ton Speeco in vertical mode. for smaller rounds, horizontal might be better.

for safety it's hard to beat a splitter in vertical mode. with the exception of the bad idea of using a 4 way in vertical mode. when log splits it flys sideways away from operator.
if one follows the NEVER place hand on top of log! only on the sides!
splitter wedge cannot get near your fingers.

that said... I'd still like to get a Timberwolf TW-5 class splitter someday.
unfortunately all the used TW-5 comes up for sale out east.
almost never close to me in Tulsa.

Last edited:
I tried to run horizontally, but now I've gone back to vertical and noodle fewer rounds. Safety is a factor also. The vertical position just feels safer for me, and I've heard too many horror stories about guys getting their hand (usually the left) caught between the log and the toe plate during a split.

Yes, it's a bit slower, but I don't mind that. It seem's like I have more control of the split log size also. And, I have far fewer jam ups with crotch wood because I can analyze the log better before starting the split.

To each his own.

There's obviously no right or wrong way to use the splitter as far as position goes. The end result is the same. When I tried horizontal mode, I was always on the wrong side, 'cause the piece that hit the ground was always opposite of me. :msp_smile: I wore myself out stumbling around from side to side. I've stayed vertical ever since.
Yes, to each his own.

Steve

My horizontal log splitter works off tractor hydrolics and hooks up to the 3 point hitch. I can adjust the working height and when it comes to the large pieces, I lower the splitter to the ground and roll the large logs on it. Only problem with the set up is that it takes 2 people to operate. One to work the logs and one to operate the hydrolics. Thus; the hydrolic operator has to be keenly alert that his partner is always clear of danger before activating the ram.

you need to mount separate hydraulic valves.... two persons with a loud engine going... sounds like a recipe for disaster as in smashed body parts.

My horizontal log splitter works off tractor hydrolics and hooks up to the 3 point hitch. I can adjust the working height and when it comes to the large pieces, I lower the splitter to the ground and roll the large logs on it. Only problem with the set up is that it takes 2 people to operate. One to work the logs and one to operate the hydrolics. Thus; the hydrolic operator has to be keenly alert that his partner is always clear of danger before activating the ram.

horizontal only

My splitter will convert and after 2 years of wrestling them around in vertical.
i wont be doing it any more,way easier to noodle then split

62944_1523054951123_1077085736_1504253_6646563_n.jpg

I love my horizontal only splitter with the boom on it, You only gotta get the log within a 3-4 feet of the splitter swing the boom over hook up the tongs lift it up on the splitter. Plus it pushes the wood away from you so you dont end up breaking your toes.

There's obviously no right or wrong way to use the splitter as far as position goes. The end result is the same. When I tried horizontal mode, I was always on the wrong side, 'cause the piece that hit the ground was always opposite of me. :msp_smile: I wore myself out stumbling around from side to side. I've stayed vertical ever since.
Yes, to each his own.

Steve
+1. And, all of these guys splitting horizontally will wonder why they did it after they trap their hand just once between the log and the toe plate or the log and the moving ram. :tongue2:

It's a lot easier to do that when splitting horizontally.

Back