Standards for pipe thread sealant for hydraulic wood splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol. A hydraulics guy told me once there are two types of hydraulic systems. The ones that leak and the ones that don't leak yet...
Three types, the third type, is the one that don't ever leak until you park your truck to work on an expensive paver driveway in a snobbish neighborhood and all of a sudden it leaks gallons!

I deal with a fair amount of stainless fittings and no matter what you do, teflon tape is the only thing that stops the drips.
Just about all the outdoor fittings we use are stainless, any tape would void the mfg warranty, only liquid sealants made for hydraulic systems can be used. Leaks are 100% unacceptable and will stop operations immediately. We actually don't use much of any pipe thread for this reason, unfortunately we can't control what a mfg chooses to use in a hydro power pack. Without their consent we can't change anything for liability reasons.
I'm not saying you're wrong by any means, sure tape works. get a little piece of it stuck in valve that controls something with people on it, and someone gets hurt it's a totally different ball game.

Just about all the outdoor fittings we use are stainless, any tape would void the mfg warranty, only liquid sealants made for hydraulic systems can be used. Leaks are 100% unacceptable and will stop operations immediately. We actually don't use much of any pipe thread for this reason, unfortunately we can't control what a mfg chooses to use in a hydro power pack. Without their consent we can't change anything for liability reasons.
I'm not saying you're wrong by any means, sure tape works. get a little piece of it stuck in valve that controls something with people on it, and someone gets hurt it's a totally different ball game.
U.S Coast Guard inspects our ****, and they will shut you down at the drop of a hat over any leaks from a combustible liquid. If I hafta tape a few fittings here and there to keep us running, so be it.

Ditto on what SAMHOP said on post #37. Some valve bodies are made with straight tread (NPS) and use a fitting with an o-ring and nut to seal.
Example: https://www.worldwidefittings.com/en/90-straight-thread-elbow/
This fitting allows your to align the fitting in any rotation and seal it in that position.

Putting in an NPT fitting sometimes works but can often crack the casting.

Did some work with stainless fittings on medical drug production equipment, and was taught to always use tape and dope together. The tape must never go nearer than the first 2 threads of the male fitting to make sure it never got into the piping. If you took a joint apart you had to be sure all old tape was removed before re-assembling the joint, with new tape and dope.

Also, some valves used flared or sleeved metal lines directly connected, think of the brake lines on your truck or car.

Did you look carefully into the threaded hole and notice if the threads were straight or tapered? And was there any seat area machined around the hole?

If it leaks again, please post a clear photo of directly into the hole with the fitting removed.

Back