Standards for pipe thread sealant for hydraulic wood splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone have any tips or advice for the job? Will hydraulic fluid come spilling out when I disconnect the hose? Any tricks to help-maybe tilt the splitter to one side? Have a milk jug I cut the top to catch fluid..hopefully not much comes pouring out!
You'll have some fluid that is in the cylinder and line that'll come out. Remember to have the splitting ram retracted into the cylinder (less fluid will be in it) when you disconnect the valve. Something to catch the fluid with is a good idea. Check your fluid level when you're done and if you need to add more it's best to add the same type of fluid that's already in it. At least that's what I've been told by people who have a lot of experience with hydraulics.

Not an answer for the question he just asked.
The question he asked was......
I’m currently using a Northstar 30 ton splitter that has a hydraulic fluid leak at one of the pipe fittings located under the control lever. Im looking forward to fixing the leak with some pipe thread sealant I already have but after reading the label I’m unsure if it’s suitable for this type of use. It’s rated only up to 125 degrees Fahrenheit and 125 psi. Attached are a couple pics of the sealant.
He was asking about sealant for a pipe fitting and teflon tape it what has been used for decades. It has been very successful for millions. Your mileage may vary

That was his original question yes. But in the thread he actually bought something to use to fix the leak (solution to original question). He then proceeded to ask a couple of other questions about actually doing the repair. Did you actually bother to read the posts in the thread or just see the original question and respond?

That was his original question yes. But in the thread he actually bought something to use to fix the leak (solution to original question). He then proceeded to ask a couple of other questions about actually doing the repair. Did you actually bother to read the posts in the thread or just see the original question and respond?
Look if you want to argue please find a fence post.

Nope, no desire to argue. Just didn't appreciate your response "just use Teflon tape that's used a million times every day" to the person who posted the thread. It was a smarta** comment. Have a great night.
Your opinion is duly noted and filed in the correct receptacle. The rest of the country will go on just like always using teflon tape with great success.

You have a Blessed Sunday

Anyone have any tips or advice for the job? Will hydraulic fluid come spilling out when I disconnect the hose? Any tricks to help-maybe tilt the splitter to one side? Have a milk jug I cut the top to catch fluid..hopefully not much comes pouring out!
With your machine off, push on the leavers, this will relieve the pressure. Hydraulic fittings shouldn't need Teflon, but pipe threads do. If it's a NPT it will be a tapered thread.

Just use teflon tape like is used millions of times every day.
Somehow you seem to stir up the most passionate of the interneters with your comments lol.

I use teflon tape almost exclusively for everything from plumbing in the house to 4,000psi lines on my mini-excavator and everything in between. I have the fancy loctite and blue monster along with the industrial grades of tape and almost always grab a roll of white teflon that I buy in 100 packs on spamazon. Rarely have leaks when things are clean and assembled properly.

I’d smear that stuff you posted in the OP on and tighten that fitting in there and not look back.

It's a steel fitting that looks like brass.
Do a thorough job cleaning both male and female threads, carefully inspect, make certain there's not a crack in the body casting. dress any burrs if needed. add a turn if you can.
It's kinda, gotta be a boo boo for the suction side to leak. With the location probably just not tight enough from the factory?
If you have a pipe tap in that size run it in and out a time or two. ditto a die on the elbow threads. Leaks are sneaky COULD be something else nearby, hose end?

Here’s a pic of the elbow that’s leaking if that helps. Thinking I’ll go with something more industrial than what I have. Hopefully the auto parts store has the loctite or something similar.
Photos can be deceiving, but it looks like the top of the elbow is out of line with the line of the casting. This indicates the elbow is cross threaded. That is probably your problem, however catfish's lactate may seal it as is anyway. Being a low pressure fitting, it should not be hard to seal. Most iron pipe fittings now are cheepchineecrap, and the threads are often miscut.

As a pipefitter by trade we are taught to use tape and dope together on all threaded pipe joints. We use Blue Monster brand tape and dope rated -50 to 400 degrees F and up to 10,000 PSI
That's what I always did, when an Aerial lift tech came out here to fix a leak that was warrantied on my new bucket truck on the low pressure side of the reservoir he didn't, and I asked him about this, and he said you are not supposed to, well it leaked!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's hard to find capable people.

Got the job done earlier today! All went good! Anyone know how long I should wait before running the splitter? The package says 72 hours to fully cure. Maybe I’ll wait to be safe.

teflo n tape is not a good idea on hydros.
on your leek are u sure the thread types are the same. i have seen o-ring on valves with nftp or npt. look at the valve and see if theres a seet cut round where that fitting is leaking.

Got the job done earlier today! All went good! Anyone know how long I should wait before running the splitter? The package says 72 hours to fully cure. Maybe I’ll wait to be safe.
The job isn't done til it's run for a couple hours without leaking.......... ;)
:chainsaw:
It's the way of the world, a more accurate description; "I have completed the first attempt to fix the problem."

Back