Standards for pipe thread sealant for hydraulic wood splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

efiles123

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I’m currently using a Northstar 30 ton splitter that has a hydraulic fluid leak at one of the pipe fittings located under the control lever. Im looking forward to fixing the leak with some pipe thread sealant I already have but after reading the label I’m unsure if it’s suitable for this type of use. It’s rated only up to 125 degrees Fahrenheit and 125 psi. Attached are a couple pics of the sealant.

Attachments

• IMG_2569.jpeg
    IMG_2569.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2568.jpeg
    IMG_2568.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Lots of log splitter get hotter than 125°F.

Is this the suction, or the return side?
I'm not sure which side now that I think about it. The fitting is located under the control lever and is 90 degree and points toward you if you were operating.

I'll have to check tomorrow morning. That's much more pressure than this paste is rated. How much pressure on the other side?

As a pipefitter by trade we are taught to use tape and dope together on all threaded pipe joints. We use Blue Monster brand tape and dope rated -50 to 400 degrees F and up to 10,000 PSI
I don't disagree with you but in reality it isn't necessary most of the time. One or the other should suffice, especially when dealing with a factory cut thread. The bigger question I'd be asking is, why is it leaking in the first place.

Here’s a pic of the elbow that’s leaking if that helps. Thinking I’ll go with something more industrial than what I have. Hopefully the auto parts store has the loctite or something similar.

Attachments

• IMG_2570.jpeg
    IMG_2570.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
That's the suction side. No pressure there. We use Talon brand pipe dope with ptfe for hydraulic, lube oil, fuel, raw water and coolant plumbing at work with good results. The exception to the rule is some of the stainless fittings we use are tough to seal and we use a couple wraps of high quality ( heavy duty yellow stuff) teflon tape on those.

Here’s a pic of the elbow that’s leaking if that helps. Thinking I’ll go with something more industrial than what I have. Hopefully the auto parts store has the loctite or something similar.
That appears to be a return line, so low pressure. If it's not too difficult to remove the fitting and all I had on hand was the Rectorseal, I'd go ahead and give it a try. Loctite 567 is wonderful stuff, and wonderfully expensive. Just looked and the 12oz can I have here runs about $100. Even a small tube is close to $30.

I had a leak similar to yours and the guys at a hydraulic supply house told me to use pipe thread. Take a length of it and twist it at both ends until it becomes like a piece of string. Then wrap that down and around into the grooves of the male piece. I did it and it worked for me.

Here’s what the auto parts store had for me. Apparently it worked for the employee’s splitter. Hopefully it’ll be a straight forward job. Just gotta be careful not to let any dirt fall in. Already did some cleaning to prep. Thanks for all the responses!!

Attachments

• IMG_2571.jpeg
    IMG_2571.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Anyone have any tips or advice for the job? Will hydraulic fluid come spilling out when I disconnect the hose? Any tricks to help-maybe tilt the splitter to one side? Have a milk jug I cut the top to catch fluid..hopefully not much comes pouring out!

Latest posts

Back