Your Favorite Winter Chainsaw Gloves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see those at Harbor Freight 5 pairs for $6, so I'd say you paid a bit much at $6 a single pair. They're definitely worth a buck twenty-five tho...:D

The closest Harbor Freight to my house is 3 hours one-way,, thankfully!!

I got mine like the ones in the pic at a local hardware store. Lasted one day before wearing though, and a little longer with some duct tape. But I will never buy them again I dont care if I found them for .50 a pair.

I really like my Atlas gloves!!

On the recommendation of CTYank, I purchased a pair of Memphis CN9690L Ninja Ice Nylon Large gloves. These gloves are nice for the price @ $7-$8 a pair. Haven't had a chance to use them in the cold but they seem to have a good bit of insulation. They are real comfortable and appear to be quite durable...I guess time will tell.

I haven't worn mine yet for working up wood- got a dozen Atlas Thermal, and it's not been cold enough to need warmer. I have used the "Ice" gloves running a snowblower. They are very well suited to that, grippy, with lots of snow blowing about.

There is nothing I do outside in the cold weather that requires the use of all fingers so my favorite are three finger leather mittens worn over mechanics gloves or those brown jersey ones. Three finger mittens keep your hands warmer and still let you do what needs to be done. I get good quality leather mittens and redo them into three fingers. While on the fire department I tried to find three finger fireman's gloves with no luck. I did redo some gloves into mittens for demonstration purposes, it is a lot easier to make mittens into thee fingers!
I seldom buy insulated leather gloves, just get the next size larger and wear jersey gloves inside them. When they get wet separate them for drying.
If they weren't so proud of these.....http://www.backcountry.com/hestra-h...B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&avad=68141_c5c953bd

Last edited:
I'm good with the Atlas thermals down to about 15°; I've got one bad paw thanks to trying to "catch" a 4x8 sheet of steel at work years ago, so I feel the cold in that hand more than the average guy.

BTW, I can make a set of Atlas (uninsulated) say "uncle" in a night at work, handling sharp steel all night. I'd go through a half dozen pairs of the cheap leather gloves like Kevin pictured on the first page in that same amount of time.

If I gotta be out working below 15°, I'll be wearing a pair of cotton "farmer" gloves under a pair of leather ones, with a heat pack in my right hand (the bad one). Snowmobiling or ice fishing, it's the high tech stuff, but they don't last working.

Some insulation heats from the friction it creates. Ever walk out to bust the ice on the spring for cattle with an axe wearing your Mickey Mouse boots? All that friction makes heat.

I like the Kinco Pigskins or Deerskin with patch palm and a pair of the cheap yellow cotton blend gloves inside.
How much do you pay your photographer to follow you around the woods? :D

I work outside in construction and have LARGE hands. Take a look at these I have been using and so far like.
They are waterproof http://www.harborfreight.com/cold-weather-work-gloves-x-large-96612.html
For $10 at Harbor Freight I expect cheap power tools, cheap jacks, perhaps a small engine after 25% off and monthly deal, followed by that lovely Chinese plastic smell. Those things warm enough?

I got a pair of these last week and all I can say is nice things about them. For the price they can't be beat.

I've been using the ironclad cold condition for years also ringers both are good and last a while ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389548181.906573.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1389548199.635764.jpg those are for the colder days , on nicer days I love atlas gloves

Sent from My Etch-A-Sketch

I bought some of the Atlas thermals. I really like them, but if it's below 20 the cold on your fingers kinda sneaks up on you and then it's painful.

I haven't worn mine yet for working up wood- got a dozen Atlas Thermal, and it's not been cold enough to need warmer. I have used the "Ice" gloves running a snowblower. They are very well suited to that, grippy, with lots of snow blowing about.
I'm going to give the Atlas thermals a try. I have been using the standard Atlas fit gloves but as others have said, your hands get cold quick in these.

Good call CT Yank. I got a pair of the Atlas Thermals and I love 'em. I use those style gloves in the cut proof type under the hood and never get cut knuckles. Now the Atlas Therms, they are awesome, but you gotta keep moving. No problem convincing oneself to do that as it is a high of 4 degrees F.

I've found, in my limited experience with them, that when the temps get down below the mid-teens F, and you're working, the palms absorb moisture after an hour or two. Then I swap 'em for the spare pair I brought along.
For the price, WTH!

Holy cow...just went out wearing my old standby Kinco winter gloves...12 minutes of steady splitting with an ax and stacking firewood and my fingers are numb!

Of course I then looked at the thermometer which wasn't quite upto 20º in the sun, and the 'net says the nearby airport is 12º.

Almost makes me want to go find a pair of Jersey gloves to wear under them! Fortunately I don't have to work for long like that -- just when paying work and weather allows splitting wood makes for a nice "coffee break" from the home office!

I decided a few years back that two pairs of gloves works best, thus providing two layers. The inside layer is a lining glove, completely separate from the outer glove. These are available about anywhere and are really inexpensive.

For the outer glove, I go with Stihl's heavy duty work gloves, Ex Large in my case (7010 884 1112). I buy these a size up so that the inside glove has room. Goat leather seems to give them longer life. The combination of the two seems to work very well. And, of course, Stihl has their name and colors on them.

But, don't tell anyone about the second glove lining that I add underneath for more warmth. There is an added advantage to having that inside second layer. Sometimes I can remove the outer glove and then pick up or manipulate a small object rather quickly that would otherwise be impossible with the outer glove in place. While doing so, I still have some protection from the biting cold.

I ordered 6 pair of the Atlas Thermal for about $3.50 a pair and I gave a couple of pair away to my son and BIL. I ordered the large and they're a little tight so will order some XL. Those CAT gloves look a lot like the Atlas, but $12 for the CAT logo:dizzy::dizzy:.
I remember that my Grandmother used to wear white cotton work gloves that had two thumbs so when they wore out, she could switch hands and wear out the other side. Seemed like a good idea, but looked weird with the thumb on the back of her hand.

I like White Ox gloves, they can be picked up in bulk from Madsen's in Centralia Washington, they're spendy but I really like them and they hold up decent

Back