Cuttin' gloves. A limited comparo.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dingeryote

Blueberry Baron
Reaction score
Last summer I ordered some "Schtuff" from Cuttin' Scott, and it got down to widgets, so I had him toss some Dolmar gloves in the box in order to make the order worth his time to ship.

I normally use plain old leather work gloves for everything around the farm and for cutting.
They get trashed rather quickly, and we go through a dozen or so pairs each annually. Some of the better Wells Lamont gloves are what I normally snag when they are on sale at TSC. Coat 'em with Hydro fluid a time or two and they aren't bad.

The Dolmar cutting gloves are the new school design, with some sorta synthetic material stitched onto the contact points of the palm, with a stretchy back and a velcro wrist closure. Kinda like those newfangled Mechanics gloves, but with something thicker than a greasy fart for protecting the palms. No "Bunching" or binding was noticed from the material on the palms, and gripping the saw or hand tools wasn't wierd or too different. I actually got used to them in short order, which is odd cuz I'm one of those persnikity types that hates even little changes in things that are framilliar.

Long story short I alternately used the Dolmar Gloves and a pair of the usual Leather gloves since about August for just cutting, splitting, and stacking just to see which would die first. Keeping track was easy. I just threw the last pair used in the helmet when done for the day.;)

I figured the Dolmar gloves would die a horrible death with the stitching on the palm pads giving out and those contact pads flapping around driving me nuts.

Nope.

attachment.php

The new school Dolmar "Power ranger" gloves win at least until it gets cold.

One caveat though. Leather is 100% better when cutting in brambles and greenbrier. The nice stretchy material on the Dolmar Gloves allows those little hair thorns, and the cats claw thorns right through to rip your skin or get embedded.

I havn't tried the Husky or Stihl gloves that are similar to the Dolmar gloves, but would assume they are similar.

Cuttin' Scott hooked me up with the Dolly gloves for like 18 bucks on sale I think it was, can't remember exactly, but they are worth the price of two pairs of Good leather Pairs at least.;)

If you're lookin for paw protection, and have Scot on the blower, snag a pair.
They are worth the Bux!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I have used Mechanix Wear gloves to cut with since the early '90s, from back when they were an AXO product. Good stuff...

I have used Mechanix Wear gloves to cut with since the early '90s, from back when they were an AXO product. Good stuff...

zed,

The Dolly gloves reminded me of the Old Fox "Pawtectors" but instead of Suede stitched into the wear points, it's some sort of "Turtle skin" stuff.

Agreed on AXO!! I owe one kneecap to them.:D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Do they make them in XXL? I have a terrible time getting gloves. I have some Husqvarna leather palm gloves that almost fit. I usually wind up with the web by the thumb splitting out before anything else. And my fingers are always crammed in.

I ride motorcycle too. I have found XXL riding gloves.

But not work gloves...

I even emailed a couple glove companies. I got the basic reply that they get requests for extra-small, not 2xl.

Do they make them in XXL? I have a terrible time getting gloves. I have some Husqvarna leather palm gloves that almost fit. I usually wind up with the web by the thumb splitting out before anything else. And my fingers are always crammed in.

But not work gloves...

I even emailed a couple glove companies. I got the basic reply that they get requests for extra-small, not 2xl.

You know what they say about guys with big hands. . . They have a hell of a time picking their nose. :laugh:

I have tried a couple of the "cutting" gloves but always end up going back to leather because of the thorn issue. Those gloves did seem to hold up much better than the ones I tried.

I like the Stihl Homescaper leather gloves. They are really durable and actually cheaper than the comparable Stanley brand gloves at TSC. I used one pair last year doing 20 FULL cords of firewood. The leather doesnt go to hell when it gets wet like some leathers.

While running the saw, sometimes I'll pick up my CLC Tradesman gloves. They appear similar to the Dolmar gloves. They're not very durable for handling wood, but are very comfortable and have the Velcro wrist strap which I like while cutting to keep the chips out.

But not work gloves...

Give cuttin' scott a holler and see if he has 'em. If not, Maybe Spike 60 does as he's another Dolly dealer/sponsor here.

Who knows, ya might get lucky!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

But not work gloves...

Yes they do!

Monkeypetting and I got a pair each at the same time and his were XXL.
They have been great so far.
I normally hate gloves (especially on my right hand, must have been a gunfighter in a previous life) but these are really comfortable and have excellent gripping ability. You can almost forget that you have them on.
So far they are holding up real well. Tougher than a hogs rooter.

Mike

I've been using these. . . I really like them. Gloves

I got a pair of those somewhere. They creeped me out with the whole "Sticky" feeling thing... but then I'm kinda wierd about some things LOL!!

OK...maybe a whole lotta wierd on some things, but it's what I got.:D

How do they hold up on the woodpile?
I never thought about using them for splitting and stacking.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

The Atlas gloves are really nice. I wear the Atlas 'Grip' gloves and just got 144 pair in the mail last month.

Well that aught'a last ya a day or two. :jawdrop:

You should try the Nitrile Touch ones. . . Much thinner than the regular Atlas, but still tougher than boot leather.

I got a pair of those somewhere. They creeped me out with the whole "Sticky" feeling thing... but then I'm kinda wierd about some things LOL!!

OK...maybe a whole lotta wierd on some things, but it's what I got.:D

How do they hold up on the woodpile?
I never thought about using them for splitting and stacking.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Yote,

They last for a long time, and you have pretty dang good protection, a butt-load of dexterity, and it takes me quite a while to wear out a pair sawing and digging in the wood pile.

Haven't tested them in the cold. . . Yet. Winter's coming in the Northern Rockies, so I'm sure I'll get a chance.

In really cold temps, when it's 0F or -20F, I like White Ox gloves. . . Triple layers of warm goodness there. http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=13005&productid=13005&channelid=FROOG

Last edited:
I really liked my old pair of OD Nomex flying gloves.
Thorn resistant with the Nomex back and no bunching of the palm like rigger or roping gloves and the lovely, supple sheepskin palm wore sort of ok while looking really ratty but it was the finger stitching that gave out on mine and no, the dominant index finger hadn't been hacked. ;)

I have a pair of near new double layer Nomex Simpson Talon grip gauntlets left over from a previous life, but I couldn't do it to them :D

Just a succession of rigging gloves ATM, until I buy something better.

With All Due Respect...... The Contest Shouldn't Be Considered Over,

Since a couple pieces of ductape will have those leather gloves going for at least a couple more months. :hmm3grin2orange:

As far as the nitrile gloves go........ i haven't tried Metal's exact gloves, but nitriles usually leave my hands smelling like that girl i shoulda stayed away from when i was 19 (but didn't know better). :bang:

Cuttin' Scott hooked me up with the Dolly gloves for like 18 bucks on sale I think it was, can't remember exactly, but they are worth the price of two pairs of Good leather Pairs at least.

careful, you bought gloves with no dealer support......try a 7900 and you will throw your 372 down too!!!!!!!!:cheers::cheers:

Back