Members In Depth Review of a new MS261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing is for certain and this can be taken to the bank. The 261 has alot of improvements over the older 260 and it will sell bigtime.
I agree it will sell, just like the 260 sold. There will most likely always be Stihl loyalist, and good for that as it keeps you in business.
Finally looking at all the improvements its fair to say the 261 does indeed have enough improvements over the 260 to warrant the extra 1 pound.
Maybe so, but I know one things for certain. I was using a Husqvarna 350 last week, and for some reason I couldn't get it started and flooded it...so I went and got the 359 out of the shed. This saw is about 2-3 lbs. heavier than the 350. At the end of the day, for the work I was doing, I noticed it on my back big time. I'm sure if I was using it every day I would be used to it, but those 2 lbs. made a big different in the soreness of my back.
Those that use the 260 will have no problem accepting the 261 as its replacement. Few on this board realize it but there are more 260's out in the hands of users than any other 50cc saw. Yes the little hot rods beat it up everywhere except where it counts most, at the sales counter, there the 260 won.
I think that's a fair assessment, that the 260 wins at the counter. But I don't use my saws at the counter, and in fact, most of them were bought used. I don't have a 346xp, but if I was going to buy a new saw that would most likely be the one I would buy. Am I a Husqvarna loyalist? I wouldn't say that, but I do like the way they perform. Heck, I just bought an Echo 3450 off craigslist. Most people would cringe at that saw, but I'm converting it to 1/4" pitch and will use it with a 12" dime tip carving bar.
All those 260 buyers will be happy with the 261 for sure. Stihl did a good job on it, no question about it.
I agree, it looks like they did a good job, but I still have one question.

Why is it that it took them so long to correct many of the problems with the 260? Most of these fixes were long overdue. Stihl could have easily fixed many of them years ago, but chose not to and wait. As it was the 260 was the smallest of the Pro saws, so it's no wonder that it sold well. The saw that confuses me more is the ms200 rear handle. It seems overpriced for what it is, but I'm not sure what the advantage is for Stihl to keep the price high and only sell a few of them. That said I've had my eyes open for a used ms200 rear handle, maybe I'll find one someday at a reasonable price. $600 new is too much.

I have a 346NE and a 2153 so there!!!

I'm out of the saw hobby and into this hobby. Tant she a beauty, we doggie. Make sure you show that to your girlie friend and tell her the song she requested is being composed,hahahaha

attachment.php

All I have to say, is that some of you guys need to get a life. So what if a guy likes to wax his chainsaw. Sounds silly to me too, but who cares? Really! And do you not think that Saw Troll is very aware that he's beating a dead horse? And you guys have fallen for it in how many threads now? You're too easy. So he thinks the 346 is the best handling saw. Maybe he's wrong, but I doubt it. I wonder how many times he sets and laughs at you guys getting all worked up over the same thing time and time again. So instead, we set here and fight amongst ourselve like a bunch of PMSing women, whining about this, and complaining about that. It's not even about chainsaws half of the time! If you don't have anything better to do that pick on someone, step away from the computer. Think about it guys. It really is pathetic.

Shames on you , your calling my dearest buddy Sawtroll a pot stirrer in that post, how dares ya, wait a minute, it is good entertainment, cheers for Sawtroll I say, if he's laffing good, I know I am,:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sorry, Sir. I will tone down the 346 preaching and I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused :cheers:

Hey, lets keep it casual here mang. Sir is what I call my grandpa. I'm only 30. We're all brothers here anyways, brothers of the chainsaw. :clap: You can tell that by the way we all fight.

Though I was only trying to get a little humor out of you, you no doubt took it the wrong way. But lets not kid ourselves here, you're the 346's #1 fan, just as I am with the 361. We both love our babies and don't want anyone badmouthing them while we're around, right? But if a Husqvarna saw comes along that gives it a challenge, or even a beatdown, I will be trying that saw out for size. Just as I know the 346 is a great saw, I know now that it's got some competition. You should give her a spin if/when you get a chance. I know I can't wait to. :cheers:

Just had to have that D28 eh?:D Looks good, show us some tunes.:rockn:

I debated and debated. I thought dayummm why does that thing cost so much. I hads to find out. It sounds sweeeeeeeeeeet. Worth every penny I charged on my AM card. I'll probably learn how to play it before I ever get it paid for,hehe

I debated and debated. I thought dayummm why does that thing cost so much. I hads to find out. It sounds sweeeeeeeeeeet. Worth every penny I charged on my AM card. I'll probably learn how to play it before I ever get it paid for,hehe

I need to get up pics of my dad's Martin. I a not sure what the model number or anything is, but I think it was built in '69 or'79, one of the two. It is awesome though.

Hey, lets keep it casual here mang. Sir is what I call my grandpa. I'm only 30. We're all brothers here anyways, brothers of the chainsaw. :clap: You can tell that by the way we all fight.

Though I was only trying to get a little humor out of you, you no doubt took it the wrong way. But lets not kid ourselves here, you're the 346's #1 fan, just as I am with the 361. We both love our babies and don't want anyone badmouthing them while we're around, right? But if a Husqvarna saw comes along that gives it a challenge, or even a beatdown, I will be trying that saw out for size. Just as I know the 346 is a great saw, I know now that it's got some competition. You should give her a spin if/when you get a chance. I know I can't wait to. :cheers:

Was trying a little humor of my own. :D I will give this new saw a test drive
when I can. It's all good!
:cheers:

You're alright too, man!

Yeah they're 'yucky'. Have only cut 12 cords in the last 4 weeks...

Better get ya a 346 :hmm3grin2orange:
:cheers:

I think I'm gonna hold out to try the 261 out first. I'll buy the one that feels best in my hands. The minimal power difference in either one makes to difference to me.

I wish you would get you a 361, and drop that 357 though for real. :hmm3grin2orange:

I punished the 361 a couple days ago. Cut about 35 Locust and Cheery trees that were mostly in the 25-30" range, then had to buck em in half to be pushed up by the skidsteer. I love this saw, and it's stock. :cheers:

I think I'm gonna hold out to try the 261 out first. I'll buy the one that feels best in my hands. The minimal power difference in either one makes to difference to me.

I wish you would get you a 361, and drop that 357 though for real. :hmm3grin2orange:

I punished the 361 a couple days ago. Cut about 35 Locust and Cheery trees that were mostly in the 25-30" range, then had to buck em in half to be pushed up by the skidsteer. I love this saw, and it's stock. :cheers:

I tell ya, the 361 is one Stihl I would like to have. Only reason I got the 357 is it was a good deal, used, but like new, is a good saw though. I'll be looking for one. :cheers:

The 261 has alot of improvements over the older 260 and it will sell bigtime. It will outsell anything the rest come up with.... Thats where my main interest is. I'm with the manufacturer's point of view, they make them for one purpose and one purpose only, to sell..... The naggin and yaking about it (handling, weight etc.) does not matter, it will still sell and sell well.:cheers:

Thanks for putting it all clear for us Tommie what your intentions are with AS and what are Stihl's intentions with their business... If the 261 would have been another 2 lbs heavier, you would still have praised it in every 50cc thread. "It will outsell everything, regardless what they come up with.." Isn't that statement a little naive? For example if Husky's new 60cc specs ARE true (MS362 power at MS261 weight), don't you think that would bring some sales? I know it will not stop you from bashing it here on AS since it would affect your own sales.

I know AS is part of how you make your living, but it is funny how you and 2k now describes the 260 is now "older" and "outdated" and "inferior to the 261". Two weeks ago it was the best 50cc on the market that everyone should buy!
Except for the captured bar nuts and the flimsy flippy caps, Husky users have had the other features of the 261 for 20 years now.

Question: If a 15 yr old comes into your shop and says: I wan't the biggest chainsaw you have to cut my old man into small pieces. -Would you sell him a 880? I'm sure Stihl would send you a big diploma afterwards ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for putting it all clear for us Tommie what your intentions are with AS and what are Stihl's intentions with their business... If the 261 would have been another 2 lbs heavier, you would still have praised it in every 50cc thread. "It will outsell everything, regardless what they come up with.." Isn't that statement a little naive? For example if Husky's new 60cc specs ARE true (MS362 power at MS261 weight), don't you think that would bring some sales? I know it will not stop you from bashing it here on AS since it would affect your own sales.

I know AS is part of how you make your living, but it is funny how you and 2k now describes the 260 is now "older" and "outdated" and "inferior to the 261". Two weeks ago it was the best 50cc on the market that everyone should buy!
Except for the captured bar nuts and the flimsy flippy caps, Husky users have had the other features of the 261 for 20 years now.

Question: If a 15 yr old comes into your shop and says: I wan't the biggest chainsaw you have to cut my old man into small pieces. -Would you sell him a 880? I'm sure Stihl would send you a big diploma afterwards ;)

Pete its obvious your two cards short of a full deck. What I said was fact. Since when do manufacturers build saws to give away, they don't, they are for sale. Has Husqvarna ever said here Pete we built this saw just to give to you, I didn't think so.

Far as sales go no I wouldn't sell a 15 year old a 880 or cut up his pappy. I've turned down many many sales toward those I know don't need a saw at all. I doubt I would sell you one either, I'd have to make you fill out a form of something first, LOLOL

I think what really erks you is for all your hoop la about the 346 the 260 still kicked it in the gonads in sales. I have a 346 Pete and I like it. However I never made a fuss over it untill I actually used it. These naysayers about the 261, you included since a pound bugs you, haven't even touch it yet they are spouting off, too funny. Even more funny is your groaning about the weight yet have no intention what so ever to buy one anyway so whats your point? It can only be one thing, to point out to others not to buy it, shames on ya, using this board for that. Doesn't matter however, its still going to roll off the shelves.

Far as me praising the 261, since when, hell I was the one that said I couldn't see where it was all that fast, you drunk or something. I have said it has many improvements over the 260 and it does, since when does stating fact become praise Pete. Now it is obvious you have a tuff time accpeting facts but thats your problem, not mine.

Lastly but not least neither Stihl nor me need this site to sell products. I got a list I keep that contains over 4000 names of people I've sold product to. Of that number only 3 or 4 that I can think of off hand know of this site. The rest have never mentioned it to me meaning they probably never heard of it. If you look Pete I started messing around on this site in 04. I've been dealing in Stihl since the early 90's so do the math.

Finally and foremost Pete, 2k is not my son, I'm not his daddy. He has bought alot of Stihl off me and I treat him right. What he says on this site is of his own free will just like you as a matter of fact. You pound the payment for those Huskies and 2k toots the horn for Stihl so whats the problem. If you can't stand the heat get out the kitchen, don't call me about 2k, I kinda enjoy his posts smacking back and since he's on the home team more power to him,haha

Maybe you should have mentioned it to Stihl, so they could get some pointers on how a well designed 50cc saw should be? :laugh::laugh::cheers:

I called them. Stihl said no thanks, they will continue to put two rings on the piston for long engine life, not one ring for a short term power gain. They did ask me how long my oiler lasted on my 346, I said about 5 tanks, they laffed and then asked how long has your oiler lasted on your 026, I said 15 years, they replied there's ya sign,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Ewww…. Yuck! Way more info than any of us needed to know but not unexpected. Say where is your little toady today??

Cent your getting pitiful man, thinking stuff like that, wait a minute, I have heard tree hacks for the most part are azzhole buddies, working long hours out "deep" in the woods together, makes sense now, :D:D:D:D:D

I got no idea where 2k is, why you wanna know where he is, he sure as hell isn't going down in the woods with you,LOLOL

Latest posts

Back