Members In Depth Review of a new MS261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This review was emailed to me by one of the guys that had me pick them up a MS261. This saw is still bone stock. All of the text and pictures are his. He was having trouble posting the pics, so I'm posting this for him. I think you'll find his review one of the best ever. I know I enjoyed reading it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Laying the ground work of my experience. First saw in my life was a new 076. Great saw. Didn't know any better that they made lighter saws. Just went with it, cleared 5 acres for a new home armed with a backhoe and never had a problem. Reckless as hell, but Angels were watching over me.

For just being a firewood guy for years in Ohio for self use I've dropped trees from 5' diameter Beeches on down, cut allot of trees, traded down to a 066 Mag, got on the AS site and two years later have saws NIBs and total about a dozen just for fun. In Savannah it is way more warm than cold so only use maybe a cord a year, inside the fireplace and outside in the chiminea. However I cut for free at the Country Club that a friend of mine runs get to work up 48-56" Oaks. Make the more difficult drops for them between the water lines but for the most part everything is already laying on the ground ready for fun!

All that to say I sort of know a little about how to run a chainsaw but nothing about the craft that you have perfected in re-building and porting. Your threads and others have helped me fairly understand the internals and how a chainsaw works. Thank you.

The MS 261.

Let's start on the outside of the saw. And while we are at it I'll use my +1, -1, on points that stand out, at least to me. There are degrees of points I will admit, and in this saw there are many more degrees of positive points than negative, that's for sure. I'll talk as though you are sitting right here with me so pardon the loose format.

The 261 has a larger presence than the 260. (I just sold my 026 Pro and 026 but the 260 designation includes those in my thoughts)

The 261 has a positive bar up attitude over the previous 260 which helps from snagging things close to the ground and keep the bar out of the dirt in uneven terrain.

The 261 sits the best. Good flat base. (Let's use my only 50cc saws throughout this report: The Snellerized 350, and the Dolmar 5105) To correct the 350 from wanting to roll over I customized a larger dog that helps allot. The Dolly sits good.

Elasto Start included! Along with the Decompression Valve it makes for a very smooth start. Not that you need either on a 50cc saw but it just feels smoother and smoother often exudes a more quality product.

Controls. WOW! What a big difference. Almost a soft touch to the indents of each position. Not the "snap" of the plastic 260 notching into place. And the same pressure used in each movement. Very good.

Stainless Steel Muffler. Looks very cool on the saw. Dolmar has this on their new 5105s. No more rusting mufflers. However steel is harder and will need to be tapped for an extra port, as you experienced.

Bar Nuts. I use fiber washers so that the nuts don't scratch my paint on the chain covers of other saws. This is revolutionary to the industry and a good idea. No more lost nuts and they seem to seat better than the previous set up. You will see more of this.

Bar Cover. I like pre-drilled holes for an additional outside spike to protect the cover. The holes are pre-drilled on the inside however they didn't drill all the way through. Cleaner look but more work to add an extra spike. This saw, in my opinion deserves the chain roller and double spikes that the 361,440,460 already have on. Hope they offer that later.

Fuel tank. The plastic looks to be made out of different materials so that hopefully it won't turn to that aged pale yellow that most Stihls do. This just may look new after years of ownership. That always bugged me but was a way to somewhat tell the age of a used saw.

Flippy Caps. I've never had a problem with them, and do like them.

Hood. Fit is perfect. However for me the three locks that hold it to the chassis are very stiff. And I don't see where they will become easier over time to operate. Stihl should have issued a Flat Driver to open them with that was wider tipped than the Scrench driver. One slip and the Hood could take a nasty scratch. I'm taking the hood to Sears and see if they have a wide Flat Driver that is just a 1/16 within the edge of the lock with a handle that just clears the Hood itself. This should reduce the pressure need to open the lock and reduce the chance of slippage. I might also "rough up" the flat sides of the Driver for more bite against the lock. I'm nit picking here but that's me at times.

Alright, lets take a tour inside this really neat chainsaw.

The air box is well thought out. The auto style air filter is premium and the seal is perfected against the fines (can't wait for our Aussie friends to try it out with their hard, dry wood) by going from a firm plastic material to a softer rubber feel on the seal to make the connection. Excellent thought and execution.

Winter/Summer Shutter. Great spot, easy operation, can't be lost. One thought concerning winter operation however is that the air filter may experience more dust and debris because the engine heat being allowed to pass through will also carry some additional dust possibly.

Spring AV Mounts. Of course.

Moving onto the two tanks of fuel ran through her. And my observations. Remember all three saws were used. My cousin, a mechanical pricing engineer was present and was part operator so that I could watch. Sometimes watching is more important than doing. Nothing scientific, just a loosely run play time.

The sound of a Strato is very different. The four stroking is hard to hear, if any. The engine with the H CCW all the way was at 13,100. Never tried to bring it any taller in the Rs because of breaking in so there is more to be had in stock form.

The trigger response was the slowest of the three. My MS361 suffered from this until I added another exhaust port. I'm sure that will cure this minor delay. Unless a person had other snappier saws to compare to I doubt they would notice at all because once it picks up it leaps toward the top end.

The 261 is wearing a 18" .325 RSC bar/chain. The balance is perfect. 16" felt too short and power left behind and 20" is getting into my larger saw territory and also adds weight and slows handling some so 18" it is...for now.

The plug is burning right where I like to see them. Charcoal on the intake side, light tan on the exhaust side. For what it's worth I use Stihl Ultra with 1/2 ounce of Klotz R50 Super Techniplate (for it's 525 flash point) mixed with Marine grade non-ethanol, yellow in color, 89 octane fuel. StaBil just because. Final mix is 42:1. The fuel is strained twice to remove any dirt. This gives me an error margin in case the amount of fuel is off a bit.

The 261 is feels more powerful than a 260, no question. With the exhaust porting of my 026 Pro, (that I thought ran outstanding) the 261 still feels more powerful. I don't have it any longer to run side by side but I'm sure the 261 would pull away.

Torque. This saw makes great torque. As it is being leaned on a bit the rpms will drop into a 9500-9800 range and just stop dropping. Like magic or something and just hang there through the cut. With the same agressive lean on the other two they will continue to drop until you level off the lean. I like this torque.

(The wood we used was hard Maple. 19" in diameter. Too large in a way for these saws and cc but it's all I find around my Dad's home area. Really hard stuff.

Here is an interesting item. Stihl gives you more cut for the money spent in bar/chain. Measured from the spikes the 261 18" give you 17"s of cutting bar. The 5105 18" gives you 15.5" of cutting bar. The 350 16", not 18", gives you 14", which should translate with an 18" bar into 16" of cutting bar. Point for Stihl.

The Dolly was the only one wearing the 3/8ths chain. RSC.

Last edited:
We both ran the Snellerized 350 and both stood up with a grin on our faces like a dog in Georgia passing a peach seed! To keep it short, the 350 just flies. RPMs at 13,000, I need this saw to stick around awhile. What a saw! This is my "346XP". Or close to one. Set that aside, it really isn't in this competition but to show up and share what a talented Porter can do with a dremel!

The Dolmar 5105. This saw I have always liked in the 50cc class. It feels balanced to me, muscley, of good German Quality, and the sound. Even my friends who own the Stihl shop smiled when they heard it fire up. Like a little V-8 rumbling. Sure it don't handle like the 350, but I just like it. This is the bad boy of the bunch. Jumps a bit in the wood (I'm going to try some Stihl RM chain instead of the RSC, that should smooth it out a touch), and with the fuel turned up pulls very well. This saw has about 6 tanks through it. This saw reminds me of the rear engine Porsches I used to race. Attitude all the way. You need to be paying attention at all times. RPMs at 14,000. Four stroking perfectly.

The MS 261. This saw is amazing. The Belle of the Ball at my insignificant event yesterday. By far the most refined chainsaw I own. From starting, to bar buried cuts, to just sitting happily idling, she is fine just to be doing whatever you ask. Anti Vibs are the best. Smooth Smooth Smooth is all I can say. The smoothness makes it feel not as fast, and here is where the watching comes in, it is deceiving. She is behind the 350 as she should be, not real bad, but behind. But ahead of the Dolly. Again not by much but ahead. But it is how she does it. Smooth. And her best note is when she is at 9800 in a bar buried cut, the sound isn't bad stock. I like it.

Pulled the 261's muffler this morning, perfect. Oil on the piston, machining marks perfect, I feel better just knowing things are going well.

Plus for the exhaust gasket with it's four tabs that hold it against the head for re-installing. Makes it allot easier! Great idea!

The trigger response needs to be just a split second quicker I could live with this saw stock. Like the Dolly. Works for me. The trigger may get better with time. I'm very good at carb tuning and Brad is right, just a little off of the high of the L is perfect. Any more than that just isn't right. Unlike my other saws that like just a bit of fat on the bottom end.

Nothing timed, just pure fun yesterday.

Summing this expereince up. The Snelled 350 is the fastest and most fun saw in the 50cc class I own. Period.
The Dolly is my step-child, the 911 of the bunch. Gives you a few reasons not to own him but when it comes right down to it you smile when he starts. The MS 261. This is a "If I could only own one 50cc saw this would be it, saw." She does everything super well. Looks the best. Uses the least fuel, not that it is important, and probably gives me the least amount of carcinogens to breathe. I like this one enough to buy one NIB to stick in my suit closet along with the 440s and the 361s. And here is a revelation that just came in:

The MS 261 is either priced too low or the 260 is priced too high. The later is more like it. The MS261 is that much better than the 260 Pro. Even I can see that!

So, in closing the MS261 sure has made a great debut IMO. Everyone has their preferences for sure. But this is the saw that a person could suggest without any reservations to the question "What saw should I buy in the 50cc size?"

One quick story leaving you today, when I began cutting the large round in half lengthwise with the MS261 the going was pretty tough. When the bar hit just buried and over 20" to go or so, I said enough of this, this is a new saw! Where is that Dolmar? Fired him up and finished the cut. Seems like in really tough conditions I'll grab the Muscle Head Dolmar, for everything else more normal give me the Belle of the Ball! The 261!

Thanks for listening.

Here are some pictures.

1098287734_ZmY2x-M.jpg

1098288046_YHfm7-M.jpg

1098287969_LSuBf-M.jpg

1098287896_yWSgb-M.jpg

1098287781_NZBci-M.jpg

1098287838_kLX3r-M.jpg

1098288107_FgCoj-M.jpg

1098288157_CywcR-M.jpg

His only minor complaint was about the throttle response of the 261. Here's what I told him.

I can help the throttle response on your 261. You need to lean the L out, nearly as much as you can and it still idle correctly. This will significantly help it. The rest of the fix is in advancing the ignition timing. This is done by removing the flywheel, and using a tiny square file and filing off 1/2 of the key, allowing the flywheel to spin CCW 1/2 of the key width. This will give you about 10° of additional timing advance. It will also give you about an additional 800-1000 RPMs. Tuning may be required. Thread a long drywall screw into the aluminum cap, and it will pull right out. Simply grind the ridge off of it and it will no longer be limited.

That picture tells more about the saws than a thousend words, literally! :D

Indeed. But we all need those thousand words quoted over and over and over again to respond with yet 1024 more "me too's" and "I agree's".

And is it just me, or is someone not giving himself quite enuff credit lately?

Geezus. Next thing ya know, everyone will be complaining about how slow the server is.

:popcorn:

Poge

Last edited:
Indeed. But we all need those thousand words quoted over and over and over again to respond with yet 1024 more "me too's" and "I agree's".

And is it just me, or is someone not giving himself quite enuff credit lately?

Geezus. Next thing ya know, everyone one will be complaining about how slow the server is.

:popcorn:

Poge

Whatever you meant by that, Brad is the one that deserve the credit! :rockn::rockn:

More from the saw owner.

There are two more parts to my report for you.

Cleanliness. The cleanest chainsaw behind the chain cover is the Dolmar, I suspect this has something to do with their slick galvanized type steel they use. The next is the MS261. (not sure what just happened to my type font, bumped something on the laptop, sorry) Almost as clean after cutting and the worst is the 350. Full of dirt for even less cutting. All those crannies I guess. This point may not be important to most but to me who waxes his saws it is.

And the most (font is back! ??) important cosmetic feature of the MS261 is the exhaust!! All the 026s and the MS260s always had that exhaust blowing into the chasis or case by the chain, into the areas that are difficult to clean, and the staining always remained behind. Not the MS261! This is a biggie for me! No more new/used saw looking like it has been neglected. So thankful for that.

Im not really bias, I like what works! Ive owned more huskys than stihls, and like them both, but it sounds like my wait may have payed off. Im waiting on them to arrive here to check them out.....then Ill probably give a review.:D

I tried to buy one today....The guy said "they don't make the 261 anymore" so I explained to him it is a New model, he went and checked his computer then came back with the $519 price for a 16"......I Have $500+ in my pocket that I was going to buy the 346xp..................Now I'm thinkin I may get a tad more saw with the 261. Thanks to all who have taken the time to show the performance of this saw & others so a guy like me can "TRY" to make a decision on which one to buy..................Thanks (really)

Latest posts

Back