Members In Depth Review of a new MS261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I called them. Stihl said no thanks, they will continue to put two rings on the piston for long engine life, not one ring for a short term power gain. They did ask me how long my oiler lasted on my 346, I said about 5 tanks, they laffed and then asked how long has your oiler lasted on your 026, I said 15 years, they replied there's ya sign,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Well, that oiler issue was a warranty case, that could happen to any saw, and there never has been proven that two rings last longer than one, even if it is plausilble.

What Stihl needs to learn is making truely well-handling saws, with snappy accelleration + "weight control" on strato saws.

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Well, that oiler issue was a warranty case, that could happen to any saw, and there never has been proven that two rings last longer than one, even if it is plausilble.

What Stihl needs to learn is making truely well-handling saws, with snappy accelleration + "weight control" on strato saws.

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

True. I have no idea why it stopped oiling, I haven't bothered to open it up and see. Yup, coulda happened to my 026 as well but well you know,haha
I'll get around to checking it out one of these days, its well worth fixing, I like that little saw.

Oh no lets not get into the two ring thing, I was only teasing though many would disagree with you on that but not me, I don't care one way or the other. See Sawtroll thats the thing, those that have 346's like me should not be fussing about the 261, the 346 is a fine saw, if ya like it keep it,:clap::clap:

Stihl doesn't need to do anything but what they've always done, it is not they that is playing second fiddle, they is playing lead all the way,:rockn::rockn:

And lots of B.S. For the rose garden!!!
It's been a good year for the roses!
Brad you have to be the KING of starting a simple, fantastic thread and having it go to hell in a handbasket!!!!!:cheers:

Mike

Ain't that the truth....I think in the last week he should win a vacation or something....

The way I see it, Brad tore up a new 261 on his dime.......... and then let us know the results, not bad in my book. If someone is not happy about how he performed the testing, simple solution is to go spend your own money on testing.

I think what really erks you is for all your hoop la about the 346 the 260 still kicked it in the gonads in sales. I have a 346 Pete and I like it. However I never made a fuss over it untill I actually used it. These naysayers about the 261, you included since a pound bugs you, haven't even touch it yet they are spouting off, too funny. Even more funny is your groaning about the weight yet have no intention what so ever to buy one anyway so whats your point? It can only be one thing, to point out to others not to buy it, shames on ya, using this board for that. Doesn't matter however, its still going to roll off the shelves.

Tommy, I'm no naysayer about the 261. Read my post in Brad's thread and you will see that I judge the 261 as high as the 346 with the 261 having a small edge in power and the 346 in weight. So don't point any fingers on me bashing the 261. It is a huge improvement over the 260 and seems to be a very nice saw. Not that I need another 50cc saw now but if I did, I would definately have a look on the 261, especially since Stihls are 60% of the Husky prices in Sweden.

You pound the payment for those Huskies and 2k toots the horn for Stihl so whats the problem. If you can't stand the heat get out the kitchen, don't call me about 2k, I kinda enjoy his posts smacking back and since he's on the home team more power to him,haha

Tommy, there are lightyears between me and 2k, so please don't even try to compare us. Ok, I might prefer Husky in general because I live in Sweden and Husky is a Swedish company, but other than that I have no personal benefits (like you have) from Husky selling chainsaws.
BUT, I can also say, and I really mean it:

- Before it was discontinued, the ms361 was the best 60cc saw on the market. If I would have bought a 60cc then, I would have bought a 361.
- For a small saw, I would probably opt for a ms200.
- Stihl makes superb OPE and they are probably the best for bars and chains. There I wish that Husky would have what Stihl has.

Now good luck in trying to get 2k's to make a similar statement on Husky or Dolmar or anything else but Stihl .. that guy has had too much Stihl brainwashing or too much alcohol or both.

Since you didn't answer the question, I guess you still think that regardless of what the others come up with, the 261 will outsell them all ? That is a very arrogant attitude which can hit back on you. I think Stihl could have made it better with the 441, 362 and 261. Normally when you put something new on the market, it should be lighter or have more power. The 362 has not got the reputation of the 361. In my book, the 361 is still the king. As I said, the 261 is a big step forward but the weight increase from the 260 is not a good thing. Time to get a 50cc saw back to the weight it had 10-20 years ago.
Time will tell but the 562 xp,and probably the 550xp also, seem to have extremely attractive specifications.

There are risks in all business. Stihl is heavily attacking the cordless market with the battery powered chainsaws.
You know Dolmar with their chainsaw knowledge and you know who is the owner of Dolmar ? There can be giant new competitors around the corner in Makita, Bosch, Hitatchi.. Stihl is doing high pressure washers where they must compete against companies like Kärcher... Forest equipment is becoming just a part of the product portfolio, just like at Husky.
Then you have the hundreds of Chinese knock-offs... IBM was also big once upon a time..

Another thing, you say the 260 outsold the 246 by a HUGE margin. I would like to see those number (per year). Sales 260 vs 346+2153+353+2152. We will see how HUGE the difference is given that Husky is the world largest manufacturer of chainsaws and the 50cc saws should be their top sellers.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
.... Tommy, there are lightyears between me and 2k, so please don't even try to compare us. ....

Very true, but you shouldn't really mention Tommy and 2K like they were doing the same thing either!
Tommy is a salesman, and represent Stihl, so there is no wonder that he is bragging about Stihls marketing and sales in the US. It doesn't matter to him that it is very different on other markets.

I agree with you on the MS361, and it is a pity that they were too slow to come out with anything else that was similar in basic design.
Also, I partly agree regarding bar and chain, but there sure are exceptions!

Very true, but you shouldn't really mention Tommy and 2K like they were doing the same thing either!
Tommy is a salesman, and represent Stihl, so there is no wonder that he is bragging about Stihls marketing and sales in the US. It doesn't matter to him that it is very different on other markets.

I know Tommie is a good guy. We just have fun teasing each other a little bit. I think we would have a good time over a couple of beers and a BBQ ;)

Latest posts

Back