Members In Depth Review of a new MS261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was somewhat interested in the 261, but after all this, am no longer. :deadhorse:

I'm opposite, I was interested in the 261, and even after all of this crap ............. I'm still interested in it, LOL. Of course, before I was just going to buy it without handleing it and send it to the saw modder to get worked over, but now I'm going to have to check the sideways balance and possibly make some adjustment.

Possibly Troll has started some new excuse to modd saws in a different way. MoDD the Sidways Balance with various weights and custom handlebars. Possibly there is an OIL that can fix this or lend some benefit, Gasoline/Gary you are in charge of that one, LOL.

Sam

I used to think that boobs were the only thing that went lop sided.

ST I'm gonna send you an MS261 Care Package this Christmas. I'll send it to Dunn Tire and they're put it on the computerized balancing machine and weight it properly so it feels more gyrosphereical.

:p :D

Jealouscy killed the cat Troll, don't let it kill you. That 261 sure has shown your true colors. Too funny, if you sold for the home team I could understand your bias. The cheerleading just as a cheerleader wearing that Husky dress with no vested interest or making a dollar is silly. Is good for giggles though and man people are surely giggling reading your posts about the 261, I know I am. Continue on ole feller, nothing more funnier than watching some ole coot make a fool out of himself, especially sideways, :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Tommy stop picking on the Troll!!!.................You are going to drive him to go out in the woods and actually cut wood .....

Tommy, I think we need to help our friend Troll come up with a name for the unit of measurement for sideways balance. What shall it be???? tilt/in? lean? what do you think?

Lateral Stability/Integrity???

I am still interested in getting one. I went at lunch today (with cash in pocket) to put a down payment, They where closed:mad:

I think a thorough review by Consumer Report is in order, they'll clear up all the smoke :monkey:

Side way balance ? Never came to mind on chainsaws, but off the subject that topic has come up before with guys in tactical units with "polymer frame" side arms such as Glocks, Sprinfield XD's etc where you have a metal slide/barrel mounted on light wt polymer frame, these guns tends to be "top heavy" & thus require more efforts to balance it "side ways" before taking head shots in tactical scenarios (hostage rescue etc).

Come on guys. Just give it up and discuss the topic at hand:bang:

Last edited:
Tommy stop picking on the Troll!!!.................You are going to drive him to go out in the woods and actually cut wood .....

I is not picking on Sawtroll. He is my bestest buddy. However looking at his complaints about the 261 I feel certain he must have fallen and bumped his noggin or something. I gots to get overthere to Norway before its too late for my friend. Someone gas up the Lisa Marie and send the limo over to pick me up, hurry, its a matter of what, ya dayummm right, sideways and standing up,LOLOL

I is not picking on Sawtroll. He is my bestest buddy. However looking at his complaints about the 261 I feel certain he must have fallen and bumped his noggin or something. I gots to get overthere to Norway before its too late for my friend. Someone gas up the Lisa Marie and send the limo over to pick me up, hurry, its a matter of what, ya dayummm right, sideways and standing up,LOLOL
Tommy,

It is a saw, plain and simple. Nothing to get too excited about, IMO, it has some of the fixes that most any idiot would have done to it. For the amount of years that Stihl continued to sell those clunky 260s, it's about time they improved something on them. The 260 was a good reason for me not to get a Stihl in that size range, but for now I have that range covered by the Husqvarnas I own.

No matter how you slice and dice it, the 261 is still about 1 lb. heavier than the 260 was.

I'm just not that impressed with the 261, and feel the 346xp is a better saw for the lesser amount of $$$s. I'm not brand loyal, I use a saw as a tool, and if the tool gets the job done more power to it. I'm sure that folks who buy 261s will get work done with them, and that is what matters. The rest of the arse hair splittin' is just childish.

Could it be that some guys take their chainsaws a WEE BIT TOO SERIOUSLY????? There was a comment early in this thread about WAXING CHAINSAWS. Please please tell me that this is not a common practice. I just have a hard time envisioning anyone I know ever waxing a chainsaw.

I'm not going to pick on the troll but I'd bet he thinks it adds too much weight.

Tommy,

It is a saw, plain and simple. Nothing to get too excited about, IMO, it has some of the fixes that most any idiot would have done to it. For the amount of years that Stihl continued to sell those clunky 260s, it's about time they improved something on them. The 260 was a good reason for me not to get a Stihl in that size range, but for now I have that range covered by the Husqvarnas I own.

No matter how you slice and dice it, the 261 is still about 1 lb. heavier than the 260 was.

I'm just not that impressed with the 261, and feel the 346xp is a better saw for the lesser amount of $$$s. I'm not brand loyal, I use a saw as a tool, and if the tool gets the job done more power to it. I'm sure that folks who buy 261s will get work done with them, and that is what matters. The rest of the arse hair splittin' is just childish.

Exactly, its just a saw. Those that like their 346's should keep them and not buy a 261, simple as that, hell they aren't anyway if truth really be known. Truth be known farther I could care less as well, I got my stable of buyers. All this yaking about weight and handling and blah blah blah from those that haven't even touch it yet is non-sense. Fun but still non-sense just the same. One thing is for certain and this can be taken to the bank. The 261 has alot of improvements over the older 260 and it will sell bigtime. It will outsell anything the rest come up with, be the 346 or its replacement on the way. Thats where my main interest is. I'm with the manufacturer's point of view, they make them for one purpose and one purpose only, to sell. Finally looking at all the improvements its fair to say the 261 does indeed have enough improvements over the 260 to warrant the extra 1 pound. Those that use the 260 will have no problem accepting the 261 as its replacement. Few on this board realize it but there are more 260's out in the hands of users than any other 50cc saw. Yes the little hot rods beat it up everywhere except where it counts most, at the sales counter, there the 260 won. All those 260 buyers will be happy with the 261 for sure. Stihl did a good job on it, no question about it. The naggin and yaking about it does not matter, it will still sell and sell well, the non-sense of nagging and yaking is good fun I will admit, some of what I've read has had me rolling here, some funny stuff going on for sure,:cheers::cheers:

Last edited:
Could it be that some guys take their chainsaws a WEE BIT TOO SERIOUSLY????? There was a comment early in this thread about WAXING CHAINSAWS. Please please tell me that this is not a common practice. I just have a hard time envisioning anyone I know ever waxing a chainsaw.

I'm not going to pick on the troll but I'd bet he thinks it adds too much weight.

Oh you are so wrong, SawTroll uses a lightweight synthetic wax with the right "balance" of ingredients and then it must be applied in a "balanced" fashion or it throws off the "balance" of the saw and therefore renders said saw utterly useless for anything other than a paper weight.

Thats just what I heard,

Sam

All I have to say, is that some of you guys need to get a life. So what if a guy likes to wax his chainsaw. Sounds silly to me too, but who cares? Really! And do you not think that Saw Troll is very aware that he's beating a dead horse? And you guys have fallen for it in how many threads now? You're too easy. So he thinks the 346 is the best handling saw. Maybe he's wrong, but I doubt it. I wonder how many times he sets and laughs at you guys getting all worked up over the same thing time and time again. So instead, we set here and fight amongst ourselve like a bunch of PMSing women, whining about this, and complaining about that. It's not even about chainsaws half of the time! If you don't have anything better to do that pick on someone, step away from the computer. Think about it guys. It really is pathetic.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back