Cuttin' gloves. A limited comparo.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really liked my old pair of OD Nomex flying gloves.
Thorn resistant with the Nomex back and no bunching of the palm like rigger or roping gloves and the lovely, supple sheepskin palm wore sort of ok while looking really ratty but it was the finger stitching that gave out on mine and no, the dominant index finger hadn't been hacked. ;)

I have a pair of near new double layer Nomex Simpson Talon grip gauntlets left over from a previous life, but I couldn't do it to them :D

Just a succession of rigging gloves ATM, until I buy something better.

Those flying gloves are pretty awesome. . . Makes a really good hunting glove too. But they want a king's share for the old military surplus ones!!! :jawdrop:

Since a couple pieces of ductape will have those leather gloves going for at least a couple more months. :hmm3grin2orange:

As far as the nitrile gloves go........ i haven't tried Metal's exact gloves, but nitriles usually leave my hands smelling like that girl i shoulda stayed away from when i was 19 (but didn't know better). :bang:

You are correct sir. . . They leave you with quite a case of "stink-finger", especially in warmer weather. Nothing a good hand washing doesn't cure though. ;)

I still like them.

I had a pair like those Dolmar gloves that I wore when climbing all the time. Wore them out in just a few months and I miss them. I've been wearing a nice pair of deerskin gloves since then and they work pretty good, but are a little bulkier and so knots are a little harder to work with.

If the work is dirty or wet I wear the Atlas gloves, I don't like getting leather gloves wet.

I throw the atlas gloves in the wash and they come out clean and softer than new.

Mr. HE:cool:

Those flying gloves are pretty awesome. . . Makes a really good hunting glove too. But they want a king's share for the old military surplus ones!!! :jawdrop:

[snip]

That's the main reason I originally acquired mine :D
I justified it with a "I'm flying and racing too" but they were bloody brilliant in the bush hanging onto a rifle. The funny thing is they only cost about the same as 'Mechanix' and that style of glove here if you can't acquire them any other way.
Some of the modern mil style gloves like CQC aren't much dearer and look like they could be really good, but the stuff like Wiley X is $$ :jawdrop:

I have renamed the Chilly Grip gloves. They are now Stinky Grip gloves. I left them in the solar dryer (on the dashboard) but we didn't have enough solar for them to dry quickly. Wearing them today helped to quell my lunchtime appetite.

The Stinky Grips stay dry for about 10 minutes, then are soaked. They do keep a bit of warmth in them when wet. Perhaps I will find mushrooms growing in the as I left them in the solar dryer again and the weather forecast is not calling for sunny days anytime soon.

That's the main reason I originally acquired mine :D
I justified it with a "I'm flying and racing too" but they were bloody brilliant in the bush hanging onto a rifle. The funny thing is they only cost about the same as 'Mechanix' and that style of glove here if you can't acquire them any other way.
Some of the modern mil style gloves like CQC aren't much dearer and look like they could be really good, but the stuff like Wiley X is $$ :jawdrop:

PM me the price for a couple pair of them. . . And I'll compare it to here.

Even with a discount (my buddy manages a surplus store) they are very pricey. . . $40.00 a pair rings a bell.

Latest posts

Back