Your Favorite Winter Chainsaw Gloves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTYank

Peripatetic Sawyer
Reaction score
What're your favorites for chainsawing/firewooding?
Thanks to a few folks here, early this year I discovered "Atlas Fit" latex-palm gloves. Wear much longer than leather, excellent grip, just cold when it's down in the teens. Couple bucks/pair. Great for three-seasons in SW CT.
Then on a tip, I got a dozen "Atlas Therma" gloves, $3.50/pr by the dozen. Notably warmer.
Rooting around on the Internets, I found Memphis CN9690L Ninja Ice Nylon Large gloves. $7.46/pr & shipping. Once I got past the name, they are WARM. Really grippy, with latex palm. Friend tried them- wants some.
Got all sized "large" and fit is very similar. Obviously, if anything, the cold-weather ones should be a tad looser, and they are. Grip with all is excellent, much better than leather. Long-term testing has just started with the winter gloves.
When they get properly filthy, off they go to the washing machine.
Listening now for your faves.

I use atlas therma fit gloves and I like them have not had a long term test yet but so far so good used them last weekend its was around 20 and I was splittin wood with them and was never cold used them a couple weeks ago cuttin and it was around 25 to 30 my hands were statin to sweat going to have to pick up another pair for sure for backup I also have a pair in ansell knit insulated liners but I need a bigger size to use these with them but dont think I will need them has long as I am moving around but they do work used them in other gloves got them on clearance a menards end of season last year

My take on gloves is the cheaper the better. Where I work they have a barrel where guys throw their used gloves. Some get a little oil on them and toss them while others look like new, just broke in. I bring home about 30 pairs at a time and their cheap...free. Get one hole and toss and handling Hackberry will wear out any glove in a hurry. Some probably wouldn't like the thought of using a used glove but I don't eat in the woods ;) They are just the standard leather glove and do the job for me.

MVC-001S_7.JPG

My take on gloves is the cheaper the better. Where I work they have a barrel where guys throw their used gloves. Some get a little oil on them and toss them while others look like new, just broke in. I bring home about 30 pairs at a time and their cheap...free. Get one hole and toss and handling Hackberry will wear out any glove in a hurry. Some probably wouldn't like the thought of using a used glove but I don't eat in the woods ;) They are just the standard leather glove and do the job for me.

MVC-001S_7.JPG

I use the exact same thing. Buy em by the bundle and usually have plenty for awhile. Gloves wear out too quick to spend too much on them in my opinion anyway :D

Last edited:
I use the Atlas latex ones, do not have the thermal ones but I am going to try wearing a thin pair of wool liners under them and see how that works. Might be a little tight. I will be moving some wood this coming weekend so they will get a fair test.

I use Tillman welding gloves. Insulated, but dexterous, and expensive. They last a really long, long time. Kevlar stitched, two layers of leather, and a long cuff to prevent wrist damage.

I use Tillman welding gloves. Insulated, but dexterous, and expensive. They last a really long, long time. Kevlar stitched, two layers of leather, and a long cuff to prevent wrist damage.

What are you talking about? They don't last a long, long time. I'm only at 6 years on my welding gloves. :laugh: The stitching is still intact too - the leather has started to split in the fingers though. Best $10 you can buy for welding gloves IMO.

I use both leather gloves like the above and the latex palm models. The leather ones get a light chainoil coating on their first outing to get them a little bit better weather resistant. The latex versions I only found out last year about from this site. I like them also and find the antivibration effect equaly if not better than the leather version.

But it doesn't matter which version you use, one dump in water in cold weather and they are off my hands. It's always great to have spares!

Anything Atlas, I bought a pair of their "VinyLove" gloves. I use them when I snow blow by far the best gloves I've used in foul, cold wet weather I even use them at work in sub freezing weather, their nimble enough that I can use them with a framing gun. Be warned if its not that cold out your hands are gonna sweat.

Winter gloves??
My first choice is a dry pair with no holes...
Second choice is a dry pair with a small hole or two...
My third choice is dry anything...
And I take all three types with me when I go cuttin' in winter...

I don't use insulated gloves... man, I really hate insulated gloves... almost as much as wet gloves.

Got some insulated Ninjas last year for Christmas. I really like them - nice & comfy & grippy too. Only issue I have with them is if you're out there for a while, and they get all damp & sweaty like, the insulation layer kinda wants to pull out with your fingers when you take them off. I also use cheap white ones with a layer of blue rubbery stuff on the business side - $20 for a bundle of 10 pairs. Usually warm enough but not as warm as the Ninjas.

Winter gloves??
My first choice is a dry pair with no holes...
Second choice is a dry pair with a small hole or two...
My third choice is dry anything...
And I take all three types with me when I go cuttin' in winter...

I don't use insulated gloves... man, I really hate insulated gloves... almost as much as wet gloves.

duct tape works wonders on all them finger holes spidey!! lol

duct tape works wonders on all them finger holes spidey!! lol

Yes... yes it does‼
A roll of duct tape should be standard equipment in any workin' man's arsenal... right next to the roll of toilet paper‼
Heck, with a roll of duct tape and a roll of toilet paper a guy can accomplish near anything... the pair can even replace a first-aid kit‼
I can't begin to tell you how many injuries I've patched-up using those two items L-O-L‼

I used to really like the wells lamont 5130, but the last couple pairs have disappointed. They seem to be using thinner or inferior suede. I've used the latex coated in insulated and non, but the latex does not play well with petrols.

Yes... yes it does‼
A roll of duct tape should be standard equipment in any workin' man's arsenal... right next to the roll of toilet paper‼
Heck, with a roll of duct tape and a roll of toilet paper a guy can accomplish near anything... the pair can even replace a first-aid kit‼
I can't begin to tell you how many injuries I've patched-up using those two items L-O-L‼

Just don't get the 2 mixed up, you'll end up with a mega case of pucker factor. Some ducts should never be taped shut.

Back