Welding on the face of the ram??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blkcloud

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I see all different kinds of designs on the " ram face" of wood splitters . Some people weld a X some have spots of weld and others weld on what appears to be 1/2 nuts.. All to keep the wood from slipping when splitting.. I'm building a new ram and wondering what you have found to be the best thing to do as far as what to weld on. Thanks

I welded my initials onto my converted Speeco plate. Works good. On my new 36" splitter I never welded anything because I want it to slide as needed to keep it splitting. I'm using a 4 way wedge on it and didn't want the twisting in a curly grained piece. I would rather the round be able to move where it wants to go.
IMG-20130904-00497.jpg

I don't really have a good shot, but mine are just a bunch of big tack welds...works good but still lets the rounds move somewhat, they don't really dig into the wood unless its real hard to split stuff, then it leaves the dents in the end of the splits...
100_1804.JPG 100_1802.JPG

1/2" rebar. I cut three pieces and had them welded into an X, there is no slipping.

I use to work for a guy that welded lug nuts on the ram face (taper towards the wood). Wood didn't slip and the splitter didn't care, just pushed everything through even if you put an angles piece against the pusher.

No I haven't but I know the what your saying. The splitter gets all the nasties... Everything splits.

I don't really have a good shot, but mine are just a bunch of big tack welds...works good but still lets the rounds move somewhat, they don't really dig into the wood unless its real hard to split stuff, then it leaves the dents in the end of the splits...
View attachment 476582 View attachment 476583
You seriously put up some good pictures when you aren't trolling this place. ;)

That's a pretty slick unit. Does it make coffee and play music as well?

I welded my initials onto my converted Speeco plate. Works good. On my new 36" splitter I never welded anything because I want it to slide as needed to keep it splitting. I'm using a 4 way wedge on it and didn't want the twisting in a curly grained piece. I would rather the round be able to move where it wants to go.
View attachment 476566
I like this idea. Especially if you are splitting in an area where your neighbors might "borrow" some splits. "Where did you get this wood from, the stuff that has DF stamped into it?" Neighbor: "Uhhhhh..."

I like this idea. Especially if you are splitting in an area where your neighbors might "borrow" some splits. "Where did you get this wood from, the stuff that has DF stamped into it?" Neighbor: "Uhhhhh..."
I just carve my name on every split...it take a little extra time, but worth it...not a single piece stolen yet:pingpong:

You seriously put up some good pictures when you aren't trolling this place. ;)

That's a pretty slick unit. Does it make coffee and play music as well?
Trolling
verb (used with object)
to sing or utter in a full, rolling voice.
to sing in the manner of a round or catch.
to fish for or in with a moving line, working the line up or down with a rod, as in fishing for pike, or trailing the line behind a slow-moving boat.
to move (the line or bait) in doing this.
to cause to turn round and round; roll.
Obsolete. to hand around, as a bowl of liquor at table

there was a couple other definitions too but I don't think they apply, something about posting provoking, or inappropriate comments, for the purpose of upsetting other users...and that surly aint my intentions:pingpong:

and to answer your question...no it don't make coffee, cause coffee is nasty, and no music...momma said music is the devil!

Latest posts

Back