Welding on the face of the ram??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What you got to do is drill a 1" hole in about 6 " deep in a piece then fill that with black powder. Then if someone is stealing your wood,.. come winter you will hear about it. Just don't make the mistake of bringing that particular piece home your self.
I worked with a guy at the Tannery in Hartland when I was younger. He was a dead beat and he and his brother would get drunk and go up " on the mountain" and steal a load of firewood this old fella was putting up out on his wood lot. They went had stolen about 3 Datsun pickup truck loads over the course of a month or so. The next time they went to the pile they found a mason jar on the pile . Inside there was a note explaining that they had stolen a loaded piece of wood and he wished them luck finding it. That was the end of stealing wood from that ole fella.

3/8" closed pipe nipples, cut in half, plug welded everywhere on the face, then angle iron cutoffs welded in corners.

She's grippy.

I'll add a story why I added so much to ram.

Bro and I were splitting some ugly pine, kept spooling, tractor gagging, hydraulic hoses dancing, BOOM.

Piece blew out and stacked itself 10ft away into the side of the stacked pile.

He looked at me, I looked at him, we looked at the piece, he reached down and put on safety glasses, we both bust out laughing.

After that I modified the ram so the harder the push, the more stuck it gets.

Sent from my s-off'ed m7 with cm11!

What you got to do is drill a 1" hole in about 6 " deep in a piece then fill that with black powder. Then if someone is stealing your wood,.. come winter you will hear about it. Just don't make the mistake of bringing that particular piece home your self.
I worked with a guy at the Tannery in Hartland when I was younger. He was a dead beat and he and his brother would get drunk and go up " on the mountain" and steal a load of firewood this old fella was putting up out on his wood lot. They went had stolen about 3 Datsun pickup truck loads over the course of a month or so. The next time they went to the pile they found a mason jar on the pile . Inside there was a note explaining that they had stolen a loaded piece of wood and he wished them luck finding it. That was the end of stealing wood from that ole fella.
Put your own note in the jar that reads "now there's 2 pieces of loaded wood in the pile"

I know one guy who somehow drilled a hole at the center of the stationary ram and threaded it to accept a short 1/2" bolt. Then he cut the head off the bolt with a hacksaw. The wedge, which moves with the piston, stops 1/4" short of the stub. Rather amazing how well that works.

Get some heavy 9/16 or 5/8's grade 8 nuts and weld them on the face. I would imagine the welding process does not help the hardness, but if you start off with some kinda pot metal crappy chinese nuts they not gonna get any better. I put maybe 20 on the face of my push plate and the logs I split go nowhere but forward. . .not up, not down, not right or left....just forward.

I welded my initials onto my converted Speeco plate. Works good. On my new 36" splitter I never welded anything because I want it to slide as needed to keep it splitting. I'm using a 4 way wedge on it and didn't want the twisting in a curly grained piece. I would rather the round be able to move where it wants to go.
View attachment 476566

I like the personalized touch! we know who that splitter belongs to!!! lol :)

Back