Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like it a lot Nate!! That saw has "Don't F--- With Me" written all over it. :D Hope ya get the bugs shook out of it and becomes a great runner. Best part then will be you don't need to worry about getting a scratch on it, and can really use it, like it should be used. Its gonna be hard to impress the "girls" with a saw like that, but a real saw guy will know what lies inside!

:cheers:
Gregg,

I like it a lot Nate!! That saw has "Don't F--- With Me" written all over it. :D Hope ya get the bugs shook out of it and becomes a great runner. Best part then will be you don't need to worry about getting a scratch on it, and can really use it, like it should be used. Its gonna be hard to impress the "girls" with a saw like that, but a real saw guy will know what lies inside!

:cheers:
Gregg,

Hahah, thanks Gregg, I think with the new seals it'll be good to go for a while at least. And your right it does have a certain, "I mean business" look to it! Plus no girls to impress here, got the one I want at home already:)

I don't envy you guys in the path of the snow. It actually got up to 27 degrees as I speak. Don't know how great my meds are? Expensive I can tell you that! So they must be good, right? Kinda like new chainsaws. Hmmm, I will take a 8500. LOL I would darn near drive that far in snow storm to get one! Well, maybe not..

Gregg,

23 in Piedmont of NC...and sleeting. Think more snow coming later tonight into tomorrow. Been a chilly day with the wind. Had to go to work this morning for a while but came home around lunch. Just keeping the fire fed and the wife and youngin warm now.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

I don't envy you guys in the path of the snow. It actually got up to 27 degrees as I speak. Don't know how great my meds are? Expensive I can tell you that! So they must be good, right? Kinda like new chainsaws. Hmmm, I will take a 8500. LOL I would darn near drive that far in snow storm to get one! Well, maybe not..

Gregg,
no drive in this one, she is a big one. I fixed my share of snow blowers and generators the last two days and sold a few trunk loads of wood.

Hahah, thanks Gregg, I think with the new seals it'll be good to go for a while at least. And your right it does have a certain, "I mean business" look to it! Plus no girls to impress here, got the one I want at home already:)

LOL, I hear ya Nate. By the term "impress the girls" There is the traditional meaning. Then what I was hinting at was the "saw guys" that only think its possible to drop and buck a tree with a new, $1,000 Sthil or Husqvarna chainsaw, with the dealer in the woods with you to hold your hand while doing it. :rolleyes: :D

Gregg,

Dang it. Just went downstairs to load the stove... And snap a pic of my 4000 while i was down there to add to the 4K picture party... But i got sidetracked and came back up without the pictures... And my boots are off now... And you have to go outside to get downstairs. So I'll just get it later. :/

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

LOL, I hear ya Nate. By the term "impress the girls" There is the traditional meaning. Then what I was hinting at was the "saw guys" that only think its possible to drop and buck a tree with a new, $1,000 Sthil or Husqvarna chainsaw, with the dealer in the woods with you to hold your hand while doing it. :rolleyes: :D

Gregg,

LOL, I got you now. You mean you can cut down trees and buck wood without one of those saws? Good stuff in here I tell, you guys are great no matter what anybody says!:cheers:

So I've been working a 4200 I picked up a couple months ago, it was this ugly one with the orange top cover if you all remember.

View attachment 480532

Well I decided to see what I could do with it and I've named it the "Franken4200" cause it's still ugly and it's got parts from a couple other saws on it. It did run but here is what I've done so far.

Removed cylinder, rings were stuck in the piston from carbon so I free'd those and got bunch of the carbon out of the grooves. Also removed a TON of carbon build up on the exhaust port.
Put it back together with a base gasket I cut out.
Put on a different muffler and clutch cover.
Scraped all the orange paint off the top cover and painted it black.

The cylinder has 2 low spots on it that you can see here in the two white areas.

View attachment 480533

All back together it runs good but won't idle down, pretty sure the seals are leaking so I picked up a couple yesterday and will replace those. Compression is low at barely 130, but I figured if the seals will fix the air leak I'll just run it till dies, who knows may actually last a while. Who knows. Here is what the saw looks like now.

View attachment 480534

View attachment 480535

View attachment 480536
Got rid of the full wrap??
I'm surprised that's all it's blowing for compression. She fired up good and sounded pretty good when I picked it up that morning.

Got rid of the full wrap??
I'm surprised that's all it's blowing for compression. She fired up good and sounded pretty good when I picked it up that morning.

Put the full wrap on one of my 5200's instead:) It may have more compression than that, I couldn't tell if the tester was in all the way and sealed good, it was kinda tough threading it in. It sounds good and runs and accelerates good, just need to fix the air leak.

a4d7baf28c725d814b7469724dc4f626.jpg

Adding this one to the fleet soon ;)

There it is! Nice! How does the 3700 look after going over it a bit?
Haven't done a thing with it yet. I'll get into it a little tomorrow hopefully. Has a piece of foam jammed in under the air filter cover as the only air filter!
I'll go raid my pile of parts and put it together properly.

Haven't done a thing with it yet. I'll get into it a little tomorrow hopefully. Has a piece of foam jammed in under the air filter cover as the only air filter!
I'll go raid my pile of parts and put it together properly.

Sounds like a plan, hopefully it'll be a strong one for ya too.

Gregg,

Come on over to the Burgh - we can drive down together. I already have the seats folded down in the jeep. We should be able to get at least 10 saws in there without them clanking around.
thumbs-up.gif

Making some good progress on this beech. Lots of good cordwood. My buddy at work loved the 395. He has a 350 husky at home and we have a 261 Stihl at work. Not apples to apples as far as displacement goes but he noticed he could lean on the 395,push off the dogs and the chain doesn't stall. Until I hit a stone and put an end to the funimage.jpg image.jpg

Back