Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All, good afternoon. I’d like to recognize and thank Bob, AKA “redunshee” for a more than proper trade. About 10 or so days ago Bob offered me his Poulan 3400-4000 CV chain brake in trade for a good drive cover. The offer occurred in this thread. I sent Bob a fairly nice drive cover, and here is what he sent in return. The pictures show the saw it will be mounted on, before and after pictures including a little spit and polish, and a proper decal I had just for this purpose.
Bob, thanks very much. I will get it mounted when it’s warmer here or when I have more time. Stay safe and warm, Max.

Family Tradition, Great looking 4000 Poulan you have there! Would be curious as to what your opinion of them is? There isn't anyone here that sings their praises more than me , I don't think. ;) I can't help it, it just seems to me to be a great balance of power, ease of use, weight, to be favorite all-around use saw. Others for certain jobs may be better, but as a one saw plan, its hard to beat. But then who only uses one saw any more..thats just crazy talk. :eek:

I see yours is the slightly more rare green & black version also. I got one also. Number of years ago I made a decal for it. Mine is fading pretty good on mine currently. If I ever get around to making another, I'll send one your way.

4000Ash003.jpg

4000Ash002.jpg

Gregg,

Family Tradition, Great looking 4000 Poulan you have there! Would be curious as to what your opinion of them is? There isn't anyone here that sings their praises more than me , I don't think. ;) I can't help it, it just seems to me to be a great balance of power, ease of use, weight, to be favorite all-around use saw. Others for certain jobs may be better, but as a one saw plan, its hard to beat. But then who only uses one saw any more..thats just crazy talk. :eek:

I see yours is the slightly more rare green & black version also. I got one also. Number of years ago I made a decal for it. Mine is fading pretty good on mine currently. If I ever get around to making another, I'll send one your way.

4000Ash003.jpg

4000Ash002.jpg

Gregg,

I don't know what it is, but I sure like color scheme of this version! Better than the normal version in my opinion:)

4000Ash003.jpg

4000Ash002.jpg

Gregg,

Gregg, I love the Poulan 4000 saws! I have 3 of them, one a traditional color scheme and 2 of the lime green ones you reference. They flat out run and are just fun to work with. The weight and revs can't be beat. I have other 3400/3700/3800 Poulans but the 4000's are my favorites. Thanks for the offer of the decal for the recoil, I appreciate it. I really got lucky with this saw. It's very clean and the original owner took good care of it. Take care, Max.

A properly tuned, good compression 4000 with a 20"x3/8" combo is hard to beat. I'll be using one of mine every day for the next week or soView attachment 480359View attachment 480361

Joe, that is one beautiful 395. If it ever needs a new home....... I have a Farm Pro 375 that is yellow and black. Fairly nice, smaller in cc's, with the same air filtration system as the 395/4000. Mine was outfitted with a bow that still needs to be painted. I think I'm correct when I say your saw is yellow and (kind of) metallic grey. Am I right? I've only seen these in pictures, but that's just a great color combo. By the way, yours is just how I would want mine to be: proper bar size and a good working chain brake. Best, Max.

Joe, that is one beautiful 395. If it ever needs a new home....... I have a Farm Pro 375 that is yellow and black. Fairly nice, smaller in cc's, with the same air filtration system as the 395/4000. Mine was outfitted with a bow that still needs to be painted. I think I'm correct when I say your saw is yellow and (kind of) metallic grey. Am I right? I've only seen these in pictures, but that's just a great color combo. By the way, yours is just how I would want mine to be: proper bar size and a good working chain brake. Best, Max.
Well thank you, like bob said he runs a 24" on his, I ran a 28" on a slightly modded 3.7 thin ring saw and it was fine. I have 20" on the 395 and 4000. Yes the 395 is yellow/gray and the 375 is yellow black, also the only variation that I don't have yet. Here's my 4000.
image.jpg image.jpg

Some really nice 4000's fellas, here's mine but it is waiting on a new/used piston.

View attachment 480415

I must have been absent from class, or just goofing off. I didn't know, or remember you had a 4000 Nate. I knew you wanted one. Looks pretty nice on the outside! Its to bad that Lil Red Barn doesn't have a 4000 piston/ring kit, like they do with most of the others.

Gregg,

lol, Here is another pic of my oddball 4000. Somebody was to see that in the woods, they would say what in the hell is that saw! Still has a 3400 air filter setup on it, didn't have a proper one at the time. Painted blue & white, 24" Husky bar & chain. I didn't hear any laughing or snide remarks from the White Oak tree that got taken down to small chunks. :D Did the same job, with ease, as a modern, more expensive, "cool" saw.

100_0469.jpg

Gregg,

I must have been absent from class, or just goofing off. I didn't know, or remember you had a 4000 Nate. I knew you wanted one. Looks pretty nice on the outside! Its to bad that Lil Red Barn doesn't have a 4000 piston/ring kit, like they do with most of the others.

Gregg,

The Poulan 4000 has a bore of 1.935 "/ 49.149 mm. There are a pile of 49mm piston and rings out there. I wonder if any come close to matching.

Gregg,

Gregg, I bought the 4000 from Echoshawn, he beat me to it on the local CL. Compression was good at 150 psi and everything looked good through the exhaust port, but the back side of the piston has weird mark on it towards the bottom down by the skirt. The saw idles and runs well except when it starts to 4 stroke (just revving, not in wood) it sounds funny, not smooth like it should. Here are the pics of the piston. Shawn has a good used on that he is going to give me in the next week or two though to replace this one.

20151112_212238 (1).jpg

So I've been working a 4200 I picked up a couple months ago, it was this ugly one with the orange top cover if you all remember.

20151113_111959.jpg

Well I decided to see what I could do with it and I've named it the "Franken4200" cause it's still ugly and it's got parts from a couple other saws on it. It did run but here is what I've done so far.

Removed cylinder, rings were stuck in the piston from carbon so I free'd those and got bunch of the carbon out of the grooves. Also removed a TON of carbon build up on the exhaust port.
Put it back together with a base gasket I cut out.
Put on a different muffler and clutch cover.
Scraped all the orange paint off the top cover and painted it black.

The cylinder has 2 low spots on it that you can see here in the two white areas.

20151113_224832.jpg

All back together it runs good but won't idle down, pretty sure the seals are leaking so I picked up a couple yesterday and will replace those. Compression is low at barely 130, but I figured if the seals will fix the air leak I'll just run it till dies, who knows may actually last a while. Who knows. Here is what the saw looks like now.

20160121_201144_resized.jpg

20160121_201206_resized.jpg

20160121_201217_resized.jpg

Back