Firewood Bags

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ac.
Are you stacking the wood inside the pallets (I'm assuming by four pallets, you are meaning one bottom and three sides)? My only thought with the bags was to eliminate the stacking step. I'm trying to eliminate steps in the tree-to-stove process. Also, my "hope" with the 50" tall bag was to eliminate having to throw the splits too high in the air. My days of trying out for the Olympic shot put team are behind me.

I have the bottom, 2 sides and a top. I stack straight from the splitter. Having tried the bag I find it to be about the same amount of time with SLIGHTLY less effort.

My process:

Drop tree (sometimes done already)
Buck logs to ~18"
Split w/splitter
Stack straight onto pallet
Move pallet with machine to "seasoning area"
Move w/ machine from SA straight to door by stove.

I like my carriers to have a bit of a roof to keep the snow off. That was another thing that bothered me about the bags. When we get 12" of snow, my wood will still be easy to deal with. Bagged wood has 12" of snow on the opening.

ac

To quickly update this thread, and for anyone interested, it looks like about four Vermont winters is the life of my firewood bags. I have noticed during the filling process this spring that I'm getting some chalking and some larger holes are developing in them as I throw splits into them from the hydro splitter. I bought another dozen this year to cycle into the bag inventory, and have been pretty happy with the bags. I ended up building a large dolly (think furniture dolly on steroids) for the garage, so I can drop the palletized bag on the dolly at the front of the garage every week and then push it to the back wall. Each bag seems to hold between 1/4 and 1/3 cord loosely thrown direct from the splitter, and I run between 7 and 8 days per bag. Overall cost per year over the lifetime of the bag seems to be between $2 and $3/bag, so for the time savings and the convenience, it is well worth the expense for me. Also, I ended up buying some stackable metal pallets from a local tire warehouse, so I'm able to stack the filled bags to save myself a little space. Hope to head out this morning with my brother to finish off the coming year's supply... I found a large Black Locust yesterday up in the woodlot, and hope to lay claim to it before he beats me to it. Should be a good start on the 2015-16 season.
Stacks.jpeg

Attachments

• Stacks2.jpeg
    Stacks2.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 13
To quickly update this thread, and for anyone interested, it looks like about four Vermont winters is the life of my firewood bags. I have noticed during the filling process this spring that I'm getting some chalking and some larger holes are developing in them as I throw splits into them from the hydro splitter. I bought another dozen this year to cycle into the bag inventory, and have been pretty happy with the bags. I ended up building a large dolly (think furniture dolly on steroids) for the garage, so I can drop the palletized bag on the dolly at the front of the garage every week and then push it to the back wall. Each bag seems to hold between 1/4 and 1/3 cord loosely thrown direct from the splitter, and I run between 7 and 8 days per bag. Overall cost per year over the lifetime of the bag seems to be between $2 and $3/bag, so for the time savings and the convenience, it is well worth the expense for me. Also, I ended up buying some stackable metal pallets from a local tire warehouse, so I'm able to stack the filled bags to save myself a little space. Hope to head out this morning with my brother to finish off the coming year's supply... I found a large Black Locust yesterday up in the woodlot, and hope to lay claim to it before he beats me to it. Should be a good start on the 2015-16 season.
View attachment 353879
Thanks for the follow-up, tmlkenney. I have heard a few people say they have found the wood in the middle of the bags does not season very well and because the lack of airflow, they middle bits can get mouldy. That is not my experience however and I work in what is probably one of the most humid parts of our country, so perhaps it's species specific or simply user error. Have you ever seen this problem in your wood? Ever put a moisture meter to the wood out of a bag to check how much it might vary depending upon where in the bag it was from?

Hi KiwiBro, I haven't had any problems with seasoning of the wood in the centers. Some of that may be that we typically only cut standing dead, hangups and blowdowns, but I've also put green/wet hickory in them and it's ready to go the next year. I've never thrown a moisture meter at it, but can usually get a great read based on how it sounds when I hit a couple of splits together and how the fire reacts when I throw the splits into it, and there is no difference between a split on the top of the bag and a split from further down. The bags I've been using are the "ventilated" bags with rows of larger holes in the fabric to help in ventilation. Are those the ones you've been using?

Hi KiwiBro, I haven't had any problems with seasoning of the wood in the centers. Some of that may be that we typically only cut standing dead, hangups and blowdowns, but I've also put green/wet hickory in them and it's ready to go the next year. I've never thrown a moisture meter at it, but can usually get a great read based on how it sounds when I hit a couple of splits together and how the fire reacts when I throw the splits into it, and there is no difference between a split on the top of the bag and a split from further down. The bags I've been using are the "ventilated" bags with rows of larger holes in the fabric to help in ventilation. Are those the ones you've been using?
Thanks. Yes, have been trailing the breathable bags and have not noticed any significant mid-moisture problems. It was something I have heard from others though. I suspect they are just stacking many rows of bags together so the wind flow around the middle bags is limited if anything at all.

We use super sacks to hold sawdust off the processors, sawmill, planer, etc. Get them next door at the farm for free. They get the fertilizer in them and are not reusable for that purpose (tags on the bags even say, reuse is at owners risk). They are rated for 3000lbs.

Sawdust goes to the refineries, they use it for fuel spill containment and mix it in with the sulfur that comes out of diesel to make it landfill safe.

I dont' see wood seasoning in the bags, at least not the ones we use, they are waterproof.

How are the bags used?

Do you drop them off at customers? How would you unload them from the delivery truck since most folks don't have forks capable of lifting one?
like this,we can slove your packing probelm, we are factory of FIbc in china

Attachments

• jumbo bag fibc (231).jpg
    jumbo bag fibc (231).jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 21
SevenleeFBIC; Looks like the bags in the attached photo have a top flap. Can you give pricing, minimum order size, and ball park shipping to usa? I inquired about a piece of equipment from Germany and found shipping alone was over four thousand dollars.

SevenleeFBIC; Looks like the bags in the attached photo have a top flap. Can you give pricing, minimum order size, and ball park shipping to usa? I inquired about a piece of equipment from Germany and found shipping alone was over four thousand dollars.
pretty sure theyre blocked...

Back