Firewood Bags

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use these bags and they work so do it. Don't get scared later
How much do these bags hold, can they be picked with forks via webbing handles, etc? The previously mentioned mesh bags are at least 1 cubic metre, which is an ideal volume for sale, handling and transport here. Anything much less than that volume might be rather inefficient to handle.
If they are about 1m3, and just as good as the previously mentioned mesh bags (the FIBC / 1 tonne bags made of mesh fabric so the air can circulate meaning they can be filled straight off the splitter with green wood and left to dry) how would I go about grabbing a few hundred or thousand at a good rate please? Thanks.

Info on bags

I get my bags from farmers free. A full bag with the wood just throne in is close to a rank. Green wood it weighs about 2000 lb dry wood about 1500 to 1600 lb. I did sell them that way but I went back to wrapped firewood for camp grounds and fire places. You try them they real work good by getting them free the customers really like them. Gives you that edge in the market. This will keep your wood neat. I would send pictures of my operation but don know how to do it I can e mail them later

To avc8031

Any large farmer they burn them when empty they would be glad to let you have them me and my helper got a call Saturday topicksome up we could only haul 40 cause they are so bulky field mills are were they start at full check with them later

Info on bags

How are the bags used?

Do you drop them off at customers? How would you unload them from the delivery truck since most folks don't have forks capable of lifting one?
I put from 4 to 6 bags of wrapped firewood on my truck my fork lift on my trailer and deliver them to the customers for $2.50 a bundle and they sell them to there friends for $5.00 help them and helps me. I also use them as storage If somebody needs cherry I go get a bag of cherry and wrap it. You can stack the bags as high as three high that's as high as my fork lift will reach good luck Later

Free toxic bags,.. Wow,.....

I get my bags from farmers free. A full bag with the wood just throne in is close to a rank. Green wood it weighs about 2000 lb dry wood about 1500 to 1600 lb. I did sell them that way but I went back to wrapped firewood for camp grounds and fire places. You try them they real work good by getting them free the customers really like them. Gives you that edge in the market. This will keep your wood neat. I would send pictures of my operation but don know how to do it I can e mail them later

IF you are up on the bean bags,..why havent you said anything about the seed treatment that is left behind in the bags, Instructions are to use latex gloves when handling, and use a breathing mask,.. and wash hands after each use,..not a nice thing to pass along to your customers, or, be burning inside your house,. another thing is they dont breath, like you said, they will hold water,.I collected about 40 of them for fire wood use but have not figured out how to disinfect them, and not sure there what I want anyway because they are a sealed bag, No good for drying wood,. Eric

No good for drying wood,. Eric
these guys didn't even return my email. Your mileage may vary. A while ago I tried to discuss group buying amongst AS members. These sorts of bags would be a great one to start on. I could do with a thousand of 'em if the price was right and they work as expected. Other members could probably help build the volumes into many, many thousands of bags and to the point some real economies of scale exists. But, alas, inertia (or was it wisdom? ) reigns supreme.

Last edited:
Gents, I screwed up.

Last edition of Mich. Farm Bureau news classifieds had an ad for the seed bags. $4.00 ea.

Guess what got used for starting this evenings fire.

Anybody got the last issue should be able to relay the phone number.

Our local Ag. Chem/Fert supplier also has 'em, but simply gives them away. Gotta stop in sometime next week, and will ask if they would be interested in shipping them.

They will handle a LOT of weight. More than bieng fully loaded with wood by a good margin.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Info on bags

IF you are up on the bean bags,..why havent you said anything about the seed treatment that is left behind in the bags, Instructions are to use latex gloves when handling, and use a breathing mask,.. and wash hands after each use,..not a nice thing to pass along to your customers, or, be burning inside your house,. another thing is they dont breath, like you said, they will hold water,.I collected about 40 of them for fire wood use but have not figured out how to disinfect them, and not sure there what I want anyway because they are a sealed bag, No good for drying wood,. Eric
here is info on bags the bags do not have treatment on them. I dry the wood in my dryer. The bags are water proof most of my customers leave them out side. They are the same bag you buy except there is a closer on top and bottom. They have 4 p/u handles on the top. I set them on a pallet for my customer. I put 30 wrapped bundles to a bag unless they ask different amount $2.50 a bundle. In the morning I can deliver 6 to 8 bags that's $400 to $600 dollars. Then I am home splitting and the rest of it. I make farmers market and do real good there plus I get to visit with my customers.

Info

Do you have a source you could share?
ac
where you from maybe I can put you up on somebody. I'm in Southern Illinois west side close to Cape Girardeau Mo. I got a fellow hooked up in Perryville Mo. He went belly up do to a marriage problems. Any place they farm big time. I'll help any I can even though people say my days are numbered. When they going to put me out of business. They come in the cafe and say I'm the man and I back. I just say good I need some help.

just so we're clear, CRThomas is using seed bags which are non-ventilated. fine, if you're selling kiln dried. They will season regular wood, but it'll take a while longer. the bags I started the thread with are ventilated on all four sides and designed for firewood to season in them.

I'm still using them for my personal use where I have a machine to move them around. but I can't see a way to use them in a commercial setting unless you take the investment of getting a piggyback spider forklift for a straight truck... pretty costly. otherwise dump them in the driveway... not much point of that other than being able to load the truck quickly and accurately with a set amount of wood.

just so we're clear, CRThomas is using seed bags which are non-ventilated. fine, if you're selling kiln dried. They will season regular wood, but it'll take a while longer. the bags I started the thread with are ventilated on all four sides and designed for firewood to season in them.

I'm still using them for my personal use where I have a machine to move them around. but I can't see a way to use them in a commercial setting unless you take the investment of getting a piggyback spider forklift for a straight truck... pretty costly. otherwise dump them in the driveway... not much point of that other than being able to load the truck quickly and accurately with a set amount of wood.
I put 6 to 8 bags on my truck and my fork lift on my trailer I have the bags on pallets so I can set them were my customer wants them. I have a off the road fork lift most of my drops are in a set area. I leave my truck in one place and deliver set load. Remember some of my customers take more than one bag because they sell them to there friends. I have one customer who parks her car out side so she can keep 6 bags in her garage. It gives her a extra income. I have her on consignment she pays me after she sells them. I have $4000.00 to $6000.00 dollars on consignment at all times. That's is only one of my customers. I have close to 20 customers who sell like this. Later

Info

Try your local animal feed mill. They get these bags full of grains etc and once emptied alot of the mills will just throw these bags away. I deliver to feed mills and about 75% of them just throw the bags away while the other 25% or so will reuse but its worth looking into if the ones you are buying are $11 a bag!
On the used bean bags the have corner braces if you leave them in you can cut slashes up and Down and they vent very well I done that till I got my 20 foot container finish for drying. I use my bean bags for storage then dry it and transfer it to customers bags for shipping. It's 0400 o'clock now taking a little break and got to get back at it. Got to get 200 bundles wrapped by 0700 o'clock. My customer from St Louis Mo love those bags they can store them out side. Later

where you from maybe I can put you up on somebody. I'm in Southern Illinois west side close to Cape Girardeau Mo. I got a fellow hooked up in Perryville Mo. He went belly up do to a marriage problems. Any place they farm big time. I'll help any I can even though people say my days are numbered. When they going to put me out of business. They come in the cafe and say I'm the man and I back. I just say good I need some help.

Northern, NJ. I would appreciate it if you had a lead. I am not looking for the bags for commercial use...just to help myself and a few friends out.

Thanks,
ac

Info

Northern, NJ. I would appreciate it if you had a lead. I am not looking for the bags for commercial use...just to help myself and a few friends out.

Thanks,
ac
I have no knowledge of your area I am heartland guy. If you buy those on line at $10.00 apiece you could get them free. A 125 bags is all I can carry do to there bunk. With a little work a person and helper might be able to do 200 on a 16ft trailer with something to flatten them out. Check with your local farmers. That would be a savings of $2000.00 dollars. Later on the bag it tells you if they are clean or have chems bean in them. They have writing on some and some don't. Later now. I take put the bags on the of my splitter on my fork lift I can fill a bag in one hour. They go to my dryer then 30 days later they are at 16 per cent.my dryer holds about 300 bags. With the way I done my fork lift I can put 8 bags in my truck and 2 on the trailer plus my fork lift now. After the wood is dry I have a electric splitter to size every thing to make a pretty bundle. Most of my customers live in half a million to over million dollar homes. You put a trashy bundle of firewood by there fire place you lost a customer one bundle does not sound like much that's $900.00 dollars time say 20 customers big chunk of change to me.

Last edited:
Just bought a couple of dozen of these from a FIBC Firewood Bag supplier and they should arrive in the next few days. As it turns out, they make a 50" tall version as well as a 58" tall version. I went with the 50", as I calculate that they'll hold 1/3 cord each and I didn't want to be concerned about the full bags tipping over. The one thing that the manufacturer DID want to make me aware of is that the new bags are rated for 400 UV hours before they start to degrade. In my calculations, this is about 1-2 months of outside exposure. They suggested that I cover the bags once full and shield from direct sunlight as much as possible to slow the degradation process. What I don't know - and am sure to find out - is how quickly they lose strength after that. It would be great if I could get a couple of cycles through each bag over the course of a year, as I'm just using them for personal use, but at $11 each delivered, the time savings should still outweigh the cost in my view. I'll look to update my post as the experiment progresses.

Just bought a couple of dozen of these from a FIBC Firewood Bag supplier and they should arrive in the next few days. As it turns out, they make a 50" tall version as well as a 58" tall version. I went with the 50", as I calculate that they'll hold 1/3 cord each and I didn't want to be concerned about the full bags tipping over. The one thing that the manufacturer DID want to make me aware of is that the new bags are rated for 400 UV hours before they start to degrade. In my calculations, this is about 1-2 months of outside exposure. They suggested that I cover the bags once full and shield from direct sunlight as much as possible to slow the degradation process. What I don't know - and am sure to find out - is how quickly they lose strength after that. It would be great if I could get a couple of cycles through each bag over the course of a year, as I'm just using them for personal use, but at $11 each delivered, the time savings should still outweigh the cost in my view. I'll look to update my post as the experiment progresses.

I got a sample of the dino bags. They are very tough and will definitely hold firewood. I asked about re-using them and was told they are rated for single use, but they should prove to be reusable. I was NOT aware of the 400 hours of UV exposure. That just won't work for me. At $11 each, I just have trouble justifying.

Loading the bags was also tougher because the opening was ~6' in the air. So each split had to be thrown up high.

Instead, I have started shooting 4 pallets together with my framing nail gun. By measurement they hold 1/4 cord and I can move them around with my pallet forks on my tractor very easily.

ac

ac.
Are you stacking the wood inside the pallets (I'm assuming by four pallets, you are meaning one bottom and three sides)? My only thought with the bags was to eliminate the stacking step. I'm trying to eliminate steps in the tree-to-stove process. Also, my "hope" with the 50" tall bag was to eliminate having to throw the splits too high in the air. My days of trying out for the Olympic shot put team are behind me.

Bag info

ac.
Are you stacking the wood inside the pallets (I'm assuming by four pallets, you are meaning one bottom and three sides)? My only thought with the bags was to eliminate the stacking step. I'm trying to eliminate steps in the tree-to-stove process. Also, my "hope" with the 50" tall bag was to eliminate having to throw the splits too high in the air. My days of trying out for the Olympic shot put team are behind me.
I use the empty bean bags some are as old as two years old and they set out side and are free. You can get the treated or untreated bean or corn bags. I proble have I don't know hundreds I guess. If you have them at farmers in your area they great. I hang them from my fork lift forks split and toss. I pick them up and put them in storage out side unless they go to the dryer. Perfect and free free free. Later
Info on 12 inchs of snow we had three ice storms that wrecked our area had 6 inchs of ice 4 inchs of snow went out pulled the draw string ice and snow popped off wood was clean and dry. Loaded my big truck and loader went to the mall with 8 bags. Stood by in 4 wheel drive and sold it all. Later

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back