Firewood Bags

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSD

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just thought I'd post up a pic of the firewood bags I bought back in December. I finally got a chance to fill them up. I'm impressed, they seem to hold the wood together really well. They weigh in around 2200-2300 lbs judging from the seat of the tractor. After we filled them up I put them up on pallets to keep them off the ground and also save on the wear and tear of the bag.

I figure they hold just over 1/3 cord per bag. I filled them from a tossed pile of unknown volume. The next set I fill I'll toss from a stack that I know the volume of to dial them in.

196992_201217619911933_100000710897990_615348_6763399_n.jpg

Those are awesome. Where did you come up with them. That could eliminate a problem I have been having. Time. Please share where you got the bags.

firewood bags=supersacks

Just thought I'd post up a pic of the firewood bags I bought back in December. I finally got a chance to fill them up. I'm impressed, they seem to hold the wood together really well. They weigh in around 2200-2300 lbs judging from the seat of the tractor. After we filled them up I put them up on pallets to keep them off the ground and also save on the wear and tear of the bag.

I figure they hold just over 1/3 cord per bag. I filled them from a tossed pile of unknown volume. The next set I fill I'll toss from a stack that I know the volume of to dial them in.

196992_201217619911933_100000710897990_615348_6763399_n.jpg

The super sack is a great way to handle stick firewood for sure.

The way to get a better handle on this would be shorter wood
as you could sack more of it per bag.

If you wish to can purchase a dial scale to hang on forks using a
super sack frame carrier to weigh each supersack from Global or Mcmaster Carr.

Myself I cut all my wood 12 inches long period as I am not getting any younger
and it takes less time to split using the processor.

I have half of my inside boiler filled with fire brick and I wish I had done this 28
years ago because it burns very well when I have a good natural draft.:rock::popcorn:

Last edited:
Just went to their website. It's amazing the handles are able to hold. I'm guessing you haven't unloaded any yet but do you think you could just roll the sides of the bag down while you unloaded the wood. How about tipping it over?

Just went to their website. It's amazing the handles are able to hold. I'm guessing you haven't unloaded any yet but do you think you could just roll the sides of the bag down while you unloaded the wood. How about tipping it over?

very doubtful you'd be able to unroll it while still full. As you take some out you'd be able to roll it down. there is too much pressure on the bag from the wood. tipping it over would be an option. I almost had one roll off the pallet after the pallet collapsed on me. I was able to straighten it out and get it upright again. The bags are only 60" tall, so you don't have to reach that high to get in there

How are the bags used?

Do you drop them off at customers? How would you unload them from the delivery truck since most folks don't have forks capable of lifting one?

How are the bags used?

Do you drop them off at customers? How would you unload them from the delivery truck since most folks don't have forks capable of lifting one?
I'm just going to use them for myself at this point to make my life easier here at home. I might look into cheaper alternatives that would be more expendable if I was doing deliveries with them, ie, just dump them from the truck and let the customer cut the bag off the pile when they stack it up.

Great idea. I'd like to see some study results on how well green split timber dries in these bags compared to a similar sized, top covered stack.

It would be great to split green rounds straight into the bags, know they will hold up under strong UV light we get here (could be a year outside before delivery so don't want the plastic breaking down), and know the wood will dry just as fast as if it was left in a top covered stack.

I'm just going to use them for myself at this point to make my life easier here at home. I might look into cheaper alternatives that would be more expendable if I was doing deliveries with them, ie, just dump them from the truck and let the customer cut the bag off the pile when they stack it up.

Google FIBC (flexible international bulk containers) or one-tonne bags. Plenty of importers here import all sorts of products in these bags and then have a heap of used-once bags on their hands they need to get rid off when they unload these bags unto their bulk storage or at customers point of delivery.
they need some rather frustrating tweaks to be useful for firewood though: many have chutes in the bottom that need tying up, the bottoms need holes punched or slashed in them for drainage, some vent holes cut in the sides, and the tops cut out so they can be filled with firewood easily. Allow about 3 days labour per 250 bags to make these tweaks.

I've looked at all the FIBC's and these are just modified for firewood and grains. the sides have vents in them to allow breathing. I don't see why it wouldn't season exactly the same as if not faster (since you've got more surface area for the wind to hit). My plan right now is to get 5 cords into the bags and 5 cords heaped up and see how they do side by side.

I've looked at all the FIBC's and these are just modified for firewood and grains. the sides have vents in them to allow breathing. I don't see why it wouldn't season exactly the same as if not faster (since you've got more surface area for the wind to hit). My plan right now is to get 5 cords into the bags and 5 cords heaped up and see how they do side by side.

Sounds like a great plan. Will you be splitting green wood or partially seasoned? How long do you intend to let them sit?
I'd be very interested in your findings.

I went as far as pricing these bags made especially, by the same makers of the FIBCs, but they wanted a minimum order quantity of 2000 and at this stage of the year it didn't make much sense. I also had some nagging doubts about committing that sort of money without testing the bags first. It's an option for the future though for sure, if the bags work well.

I look forward to your findings, and if you feel they are worthwhile, I'd be very keen to consolidate orders with yourself and anyone else who may be interested, so we can get a group pricing plan together and just have the bags drop shipped to the respective parties direct from the manufacturers.

$11/ea with shipping for small quantities. down around 9.50/ea for orders of 200

thats not too bad.. i am interested in a few, but have a friend that this may fit the bill for..he is set up with a tw5 and conveyor this would be an easy way to get some set back for delivery..

Try your local animal feed mill. They get these bags full of grains etc and once emptied alot of the mills will just throw these bags away. I deliver to feed mills and about 75% of them just throw the bags away while the other 25% or so will reuse but its worth looking into if the ones you are buying are $11 a bag!

these bags are breathable, and stretchable like a giant Glad Forceflex garbage bag. most of the feed and sand bags are non breathable and it makes a huge difference.

Latest posts

Back