porting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm very tempted to send it back to Tennessee at this point. Saw was put on the bench before I got sick. Was at the shop Sunday to get some parts for my ZTR mower and found a huge mess of bar oil.

The case isn't sealed and it drained the whole tank. Leaking from the seam.

Are you implying that the alleged saw was allegedly worked on by someone from the Volunteer State?

I rebuild stuff a lot. ....mostly from trashed saws. Yes, I have had things that come back. I've had carbs that i've cleaned spotless come back FULL of sawdust. "saw don't run right" ... ya, ya shoved a pile of sawdust into the tank genius.

was the port work bad?

leaking oil from a seam isn't good, but that isn't the end of the world either... a loose bolt that didn't get loctited?

$100 labor for just splitting a case is reasonable, so 400 for a rebuild (INCLUDING PORT WORK) plus parts makes sense. I'm surprised it was only $70 in parts.

so it has some issues... should be pristine, its not, was the work truly BAD? I doubt it

Not sure what went down. I have the trolls on ignore so I never saw any of the posts.

I rebuild stuff a lot. ....mostly from trashed saws. Yes, I have had things that come back. I've had carbs that i've cleaned spotless come back FULL of sawdust. "saw don't run right" ... ya, ya shoved a pile of sawdust into the tank genius.

was the port work bad?

leaking oil from a seam isn't good, but that isn't the end of the world either... a loose bolt that didn't get loctited?

$100 labor for just splitting a case is reasonable, so 400 for a rebuild (INCLUDING PORT WORK) plus parts makes sense. I'm surprised it was only $70 in parts.

so it has some issues... should be pristine, its not, was the work truly BAD? I doubt it

I supplied all the parts. Not sure on the port work, i hAvent looked. Compared to another 360 I have its not really noticeable in power increase, but both pull an 18" bar fine, so hard to really judge.

It's a combo of the builder saying "too bad" and me pissed at myself for spending the money and not having a perfectly working saw in the end.

I should have just fixed it myself during a slow time and bought another saw with that $$.

:)So ya
Thought ya
Might like to
join the big show.
To feel that warm thrill of illusion
As the ported saws throw
I've got some bad news for you sunshine,
Your saw isn't well, he stayed back at the hotel
We can't send it along as a surrogate one
We're gonna find out where you folks really stand.

Are there any builders in the theater tonight?
Get them up against the wall!
There's one in the spotlight, he don't look right to me,
Get him up against the wall!
That one ports crooked
And that one's a loon
Who let all of this riff-raff into the room?
There's one smoking a joint,
And another with spots!
If I had my way,
I'd have all of them shot!

I do a lot of repairs and porting in the UK, I take a failed repaired saw personally. If anything I do doesn't work then I WANT it back to get it sorted.

Saying that, I have had saws in for porting that have had shot carb accelerator pumps, shot fuel lines, leaking seals, damaged manifolds etc with no note from the owner who only comes clean after you find the issue!!!

In a case like this, I would ask the customer to send the saw back, if I had missed something then I would repair it, parts would be charged, labour would not and I would make a call on the return cost based on the amount of work I had done for the customer and if he had been 100% honest on the condition of the saw he sent in.

Pretty simple as it is easy nowadays to lose a reputation very quickly. it is also easy to misunderstand a repair bill so I sometimes have to explain why the bill is more than I expected and am always happy to do this although I keep the owner appraised by text of any nasties.....pretty simple ethic of treating others how you would like to be treated......I get a lot of referral work for some reason:)

In this case, I would say the shop took it the carb was OK as the saw had failed for other reasons and the carb had just dried up and the needle may have got a bit sticky from standing. I would have stripped the carb, specifically to check the gauze filter but I am a fussy old S#d!

I do a lot of repairs and porting in the UK, I take a failed repaired saw personally. If anything I do doesn't work then I WANT it back to get it sorted.

Saying that, I have had saws in for porting that have had shot carb accelerator pumps, shot fuel lines, leaking seals, damaged manifolds etc with no note from the owner who only comes clean after you find the issue!!!

In a case like this, I would ask the customer to send the saw back, if I had missed something then I would repair it, parts would be charged, labour would not and I would make a call on the return cost based on the amount of work I had done for the customer and if he had been 100% honest on the condition of the saw he sent in.

Pretty simple as it is easy nowadays to lose a reputation very quickly. it is also easy to misunderstand a repair bill so I sometimes have to explain why the bill is more than I expected and am always happy to do this although I keep the owner appraised by text of any nasties.....pretty simple ethic of treating others how you would like to be treated......I get a lot of referral work for some reason:)

In this case, I would say the shop took it the carb was OK as the saw had failed for other reasons and the carb had just dried up and the needle may have got a bit sticky from standing. I would have stripped the carb, specifically to check the gauze filter but I am a fussy old S#d!
I have a craftsman 2.1 a guy wants ported. A poulan that I ported back in for repair, that one will be interesting he's the type that likes to mess with stuff. "Naw i didn't do anything to it" lol Mr. Sam I've known u over 10yr. I know u mess with everything. "Well I might have turned the carb screws cause I didn't think it sounded just right. I never had a saw that sounds like a dirtbike." Man u never had a ported saw eather buddy.
I got ppl that do me the same way Spud. I use the same rule as you. Ifhe burnt up the saw cause he run it to lean it's gonna be on him.

The carb may have been bad from the get go, I dunno. The saw was running fine until the crank bearings came apart though. Before I got it on trade it had been used on a mill so it didn't surprise me any.

THOUGH I'd think if that was the case, was the saw even tested? Or maybe it happened in shipping, but the answer is basically "I have a potty mouth"?

I bought another carb for $15, no big deal.

Now having to split the case to fix the bar oil leak... I may just leave this saw outside on on a pig pad if I need to bring it in. Makes me wonder if it's sealed so poorly it's leaving bar oil, is it leaking air too?

The customer "service" is the big problem. Mistakes happen. "I have a potty mouth" is not the answer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back