RPMS and power?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alderman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Cutting with one of the Shindaiwa 488s today and she was being a bit of a dog, bogging down in the wood. I thought part of the problem was the chain being a bit to aggressive due to short rakers.
I put the tach on her and she was only turning 12,200 RPMS.
I tuned her up to 13,200 and was amazed how much difference it made in the cut. It felt like the power picked up considerably.

Is this to be expected when a saw is overly rich and is then tuned to where it is supposed to be?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's strange. Usually saws run much stronger faster better when incorrectly tuned.

Something must be wrong with your saw.

I know it was a dumb question but I was surprised how much the performance picked up.
I really didn't think it would make that much difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stock saws tuned to the factory RPM range are performing at the "desired" level as designed. The extra fuel becomes a burden on a two-cycle engine and some of it is spit out only partially burned. That's why the auto-tune/CM saws perform well when they're in good condition, because the system keeps the tune just lean enough. This is provided that the system is getting good information and is working properly.

Back