Do they make electric outage alerts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HadleyPA

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I want to know if anybody makes an alarm for when power goes off at your house. I put wood furnace in basement 10 yrs ago and knock on wood have only lost power in house once or twice since but got to thinking about this the other day. Say its middle of January 2 am -10 degrees and blowing outside and I've got it burning wide open to keep up and the power goes out. If I don't just happen to wake up and notice it may be all over for the furnace or even worse! I was wandering about some sort of alarm or buzzer that would alert/awake you if the power should happen to shutdown. Haven't searched for anything yet just figured I would see if anyone knew of such a thing existing. Thanks

I guess what is your concern? That the fan isn't running and the stove is going to overheat things?

The boiler at my cabin has a electric air vent. Power open/spring close. So it the power goes out the air vent shuts completely and the stove goes down to idle.

Some furnaces with electronic draft control default to close when the power goes out (my Charmaster does this, as do all of the power vented furnaces, obviously). This would be the failsafe to prevent burning up your furnace.

I would think that all well-designed furnaces would do this, but I don't have any facts to back this guess up.

Yes, I think it's called a freezer alarm.. they go on a deep freezer and if it looses power it sounds an alarm

http://www.charmaster.com/access_diagram.html

My furnace has the emergency heat dump panel on the plenum. (Middle right of page in link). Again, I don't have experience with too many other manufacturers to know if this works, but would something like that help? Basically, when the plenum temp gets over 280 F, there is a soldered link that melts, and a 18" x 8" panel drops out of my plenum, letting the heat escape into my basement.

I don't know what the soldered links cost, as my furnace came with a few spares, and I'm still on my first one.

For when you're not home, I know my house alarm will send me messages (text/email) when the power goes out and comes back on.

Mike

My UPS squeals when the power is out until it comes back on or the batteries are dead

I just finished my fail safe, Millbank standby generator with a 200 amp automatic transfer switch... it exercises every Wednesday at 5:20pm! If it's not Wednesday at 5:20pm, the power is out! :surprised3:

I forgot to shut the choke off on the generator . Burned a little paint before I figure it out . Might have been ok but was taking ashes out an left the door open I never do this just this day .

I just finished my fail safe, Millbank standby generator with a 200 amp automatic transfer switch... it exercises every Wednesday at 5:20pm! If it's not Wednesday at 5:20pm, the power is out! :surprised3:

Wow that's a big generator! 50kw. Could run 3 or 4 houses easily around here.

No, it's a 20kw generator with a 200 amp service rated ATS. I install them this way if there is really no load on a house, it saves money on the install.

Back