kindling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmihalek

Where's the wood at?
Reaction score
I've tried using pallets for kindling but don't like having so many nails ending up in the wood stove. I guess I could split some of my firewood into smaller pieces but I'd rather use some junk wood for kindling. Has anyone tried things like old telephone poles or fence posts or something like that?

I use pallets also..I just run the circular saw blade down the sides of the stringers and leave all the nails in the scrap.

The uniformity and ease of processing makes an occasional nail worth it. I've got a couple years of kindling worked up and it fits neatly in a old 36" TV box in the basement.

I like to use short, straight grained pieces to split up into kindling. Dismantling a pallet seems like a lot of work for kindling and they make great platforms to stack wood onto.

I like to use short, straight grained pieces to split up into kindling. Dismantling a pallet seems like a lot of work for kindling and they make great platforms to stack wood onto.
Na..I can have a skid turned into 25-30 1/2" x 4"x 16" boards in less than a minute with a wornout old circular saw. I'll bust up a dozen skids every couple years and sit and split it all up while watching a football game...maybe 2 hours every 2 years ain't bad.

I got a small electric 4 ton splitter

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

Crpap sent that too soon. Got small splitter i keep in spare room and just make kinlin as i need it in fall then when turns cold the stove never goes out till spring.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

We get some big white pines that blow down. When they sit a couple years, the branches season and bark falls off, I break up the branches and sort by size in garbage cans. The stuff smaller than a pencil you can light with a match. Then there is finger, wrist, arm, and leg sizes. I only need the small stuff if the fire is dead cold.

I got a truck load of 40' power poles for free from Idaho power. We blasted new pole holes when they upgraded to steel poles and they brought the old cedar poles to my house. Only the bottom 10' is treated, and most of those were left in the ground. They're dryer than popcorn and split into kindling nicely. I have a bunch on the deck so my daughter can get a fire going easily when she gets home from school. That's about all they're good for though, not a ton of btus in them

Burned some RR tie scraps in the shop, burn for a long time and hot!

Dunno on kindling, never have needed any.

Where do you get the methalhydrate? :eek:
I thought that was the stuff in the really deep parts of the ocean. It's frozen methane. There's about a quadrillion cubic meters of the stuff, enough to power the entire earth for thousands of years. I'm just looking for some kindling....

I thought that was the stuff in the really deep parts of the ocean. It's frozen methane. There's about a quadrillion cubic meters of the stuff, enough to power the entire earth for thousands of years. I'm just looking for some kindling....
IKR!
Maybe Gypo Logger plans to take over the world!:rock:

I also collect scraps from my woodworking pile. If you really want to re-purpose some junk wood, stop by most construction dumpsters. If you know of a cabinet shop near by, they may let you scrounge. I will burn 2X, trim, molding, etc. But not plywood, particle board, painted or varnished wood.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back