kindling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See if you have a truss manufacturer nearby they will give you all the cutoffs you can handle. It's all kiln dried pine and works great as kindling.

I just stack big and small in the truck, customer can pick out the small stuff while they stack it if they want.
I tried that a few times but usually the customer told me to only bring larger logs, preferably splits, in the truck. So, I decided to start splitting small sticks in a separate box or bundle, store that in the truck's cab, and give that to them last. They have never turned that offer down.

I'm lucky enough to have a local furniture business close to where I work. They make all their tops out of cherry and maple then put the scraps in 55 gallon drums and sits them outside for anybody to take. It's great for getting fires started, restarted and mixing in with not so seasoned wood.

The closer it gets to winter this stuff is harder to find since a lot of people know about it but back in October I was lucky enough to get there right after they set out 12 barrels of it and ended up taking home a truck load.

Attachments

• 20170126_110714.jpg
    20170126_110714.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
  • 20170126_110020.jpg
    20170126_110020.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 17
I'm lucky enough to have a local furniture business close to where I work. They make all their tops out of cherry and maple then put the scraps in 55 gallon drums and sits them outside for anybody to take. It's great for getting fires started, restarted and mixing in with not so seasoned wood.

The closer it gets to winter this stuff is harder to find since a lot of people know about it but back in October I was lucky enough to get there right after they set out 12 barrels of it and ended up taking home a truck load.

When useing the splitter, as you all know there is always a lot of pieces of small stuff that winds up on the ground.All of it gets thrown into the trailer with the splits and winds up in the wood pile.It's nice to find it while filling the wheelbarrow and bringing wood in to the garage during the winter and saves me from splitting kindling should I need it.

This is what we are doing this year with all of our splitter scraps. Goes in a barrel right away while were splitting. Then take it in the shop and fill a 5 gallon bucket, put bag over bucket and flip it over. We give a free bag of kindling with each delivery.
\IMG_2933.JPGIMG_2935.JPGIMG_2936.JPG

Believe it or not, I've been burning all my splitter scraps in a burn barrel. Not any more. I'll collect them just like this or similar. Looks like the idea is to keep them dry after splitting. I imagine I would save about 10 gallons worth every time I start the splitter engine. Perhaps I'll burn most of the bark that falls off, but I imagine even a bunch of that could be used for kindling. Dropped bark last year from elm and maple alone added up to over a truckload.

I do something similar but use a feed sack and give the whole feed sack away. Once our stove gets going we really don't need stuff like this anymore.

Believe it or not, I've been burning all my splitter scraps in a burn barrel. Not any more. I'll collect them just like this or similar. Looks like the idea is to keep them dry after splitting. I imagine I would save about 10 gallons worth every time I start the splitter engine. Perhaps I'll burn most of the bark that falls off, but I imagine even a bunch of that could be used for kindling. Dropped bark last year from elm and maple alone added up to over a truckload.

We have a ~ 20x20ftx15ft deep pit, gets burned every couple weeks.

Latest posts

Back