390 xp porting.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ol hickory

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This is my first post on as. Been lurking and reading for awhile. The wealth of information on here is unbelievable and has helped me troubleshoot several things. I've never had any woods porting or anything of the sort done to a saw. I've been thinking about porting my 390. Any recommendations on who to use? Is the cost worth the reward? Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It's my only saw over 60 cc. I Have quite a bit of big wood to cut. Mainly 20 to 30 in white oak. Just don't want to get too far behind.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm just a one man operation. Im Full time farmhand and just cut wood on weekends and after work. I'd have to sell a lot of firewood to pay for another 390. I really just wanna know a rough cost and how long I would be out of a saw. I've pretty much talked myself into getting it done.

likely somewhere around $300 plus shipping ...and probably plus parts. how long depends on how busy the porter is.

I'm just a one man operation too, I have half an acre, no trees to cut and 7 (or more) saws.... but its amazing what ya need when a neighbor has a tree down. I grab a saw, work with it, and grab another one if something isn't right.

if you have as much work as you do, and are relying on one saw, you are liable to run into a problem .... you might find it more cost effective to put your porting $$ into another big saw in the trading post... ask around ...some larger stuff can go for pretty cheap depending on the situation.

That's true. I may browse around and see what's on there. I've got a Stihl ms362 and a poulan 2300av as well. It's just the 390 is the only one I have to handle big wood. I never know what kind of wood or how big it will be until they come dump it. I get it all from a local tree service. I usually end up with oak, hickory, or pecan.

For the record, it's likely that you can buy a ported 90cc saw with little use for $6-800. Yes, it's more than getting your saw ported, but it'd be much better have 2 big saws than one, and it costs a lot less than buying a second big saw and getting it ported.

Ported saws are awesome, but the added work didn't hold resale value that well. I think they have a good return on investment because they're more productive, and they're also just more fun to run, but you start with a $900 saw and add a $300 port job, you don't end up with a $1200 saw. So it's generally cheaper to buy an already ported saw. You let the guy who had it ported take the initial deprecation.

Just something to think about. For the record, I'm not saying that anyone shouldn't get a saw ported. I plan on sending one off the next summer myself. I'm just pointing out something I've observed about ported saws. It seems like a common tend with performance stuff, chainsaws or otherwise. It's much cheaper to buy someone else built 4x4 than to build one yourself. Of course the caveat, and it applies here as well, is that you run the risk of buying someone else's problems, and you may not get any type of warranty on the performance work.

I sold a Ported 385 2 weeks ago for $450. Ugly as sin but a strong runner. I'm out of 90 cc saws at the moment.

Yep. ..I may want to unload my 385 as well. Thanks for reminding me lol.

Another option is to buy a Chinese Ms660 kit.....that would have reasonable pop....and you could fiddle with it as much as you like. If you got that thing running you would end up with the most important thing of all....knowledge. and it'd probably cost around 350 400$$.

Back