Injury

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Injuries?

Been running saw for the last 5 1/2 years as a job clearing trail, felling of hazard trees, and sawyer on wildfires and; been climbing for 2 years. No injuries yet in my career. The real key is being absolutely anal about safe practices. Before long those practices are habit and if the time come when you forget one of the practices, you can sense something isn't quite right; and you fix it.
The key never slack on safety, use all PPE at all times.

I haven't had any serious injuries.
My shins get quite bloody though,
when I'm wearin my shorts.

:stupid:

I had a large chunk of wood hit me square in the eye, while splitting. I was wearing safety glasses, which steamed up to the point of being useless. I took them off as I only had a few logs to go. Happened so quick, it made me drop to my knees. I was afraid to open my eye, which I had covered with my hand. I thought I had lost it. When I had gained the guts to open it all I saw was red. This made me think I did lose it. I rushed off to the emergency room. It was determined I had a hematoma of the inner eyeball. What had happened was the wood chunk hit with such force, it caused the bloodvessels inside my eyeball to burst. I had to sleep upright in a chair for two weeks. This kept the blood settled down at the bottom of my eye, out of my field of vision. Where my body could absorb it. Evertime I would accidently bend down, the blood would fill my vision up again. After many steriod drops and eye checkups it appears to have healed. I will never again take off my safety glasses. If the steam up I will quit, before I risk another incident like that.

Damn, that made my legs numb! I have a weird thing about eyes getting injured/poked/whatever ... Glad to hear your eye eventually healed and I'll never take glasses off now for sure!

Interesting. So far I have refused to wear chaps...maybe I will rethink my ways. I will definitely make safety glasses of some kind a habit when splitting wood. I have cut/split a ton of wood over the last 10 years and more going back to when I was a kid, just sorta messing around. Lots of cut hands, bruised/bloody knuckles, handsaw cuts, pinches and the like. Only chainsaw injuries have been little cuts with the chain not moving, either turning the chain by hand trying to sharpen it or clear a jammed sprocket. Also had a ripping chain thrown by my 025 and whack me on the kneecap, but it barely broke the skin. It might have cit me more if it had been my usual .325 chisel chain. I try to always take my time and stay out of what would be the saw's kickback path, and never be careless with the bar nose, and when using the bow, be sure the spur stays in the wood and that I am nowhere near its kickback path.

hmm..

Just thought I would chime in on this one. In the five years that I ran my tree service the only injury i had could have been covered with a small bandage. I had gone to a friends house to cut a small downed Oak. When the job was done I was walking back up the hill, 036 in my right hand, bar to the rear. A briar caught the handle, swung the bar around and the freshly sharpened Rapid Super tooth made a nice 1/4 inch incision in my calf. If I had been wearing something other than shorts I may not have been cut :hmm3grin2orange: . On the job it was always helmet system, gloves, logging boots. Chaps when the going got tough. The most vluable piece of PPE is your brain!

Back