Makita EA4300F Dolmar 421 Oiling Question/Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlfA01

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hello!

Got a question for you Dolmar and Makita guys. Recently I'm seeing less and less bar/chain oil spraying from my bar tip as I'm cutting with the Dolkita EA4300/ Dolmar 421. After looking inside the sprocket/clutch cover, it seems I'm getting oil spray and dripping around sprocket/clutch area, but the oil is just not getting down the rails of the bar. I'm running a Tsumura L&T bar with Oregon chains in same chain profile as stock. I bought the Tsumura bar about 6-months ago at a dealer nearby, who installed the bar and said this was the recommended bar for my saw. He also adjusted the oiler.

Details of my setup:
Tsumura 16" L&T P/N 363SL2, 15, 50, .325, 64E (stamped on the bar)
Oiler maxed
Stock sprocket
Using Husqvarna B&C Oil

I'm poking around with the saw today and checking if I can get it working better. What I've done so far: adjusted the oiler down and the back to max. Drained the B&C oil and checked the oiling inlet tube. Removed the little spring filter and it was very clean. Checked the oiling tube outlet and sprayed with WD-40 to dislodge any debris. Started the saw without bar, chain and sprocket cover to verify oil from the oiling tube: there was a decent amount of oil and it was commensurate to throttle position, but it is not dumping a ton of oil. Reinstalled the Tsumura and same result. It seems a lot of oil is collecting inside the sprocket cover and dripping on the ground versus feeding down the bar. I positioned the saw on a flat wood surface to see where the oil was going. The saw is actually spraying a lot of oil underneath the sprocket cover area and very little is present under the bar. I put the stock 16" Makita bar on and the result is the same, but the chain does feel a little more oily after five minutes of testing.

Anyway, if anyone has seen something similar, let me know what fixed it.
Cheers,
Dan

These saws always come setup with 3/8 lp, if you have the wrong bar and chain it's you're probably not getting oil to the chain.

I tried to find a Tsumura cross referance but came up empty, the bar should be a K095 mount.

your saw came with .325 and not 3/8 lp?
Yep. Direct quote from the Makita bar, "MAKITA 9T, ..325-64 1.3/.050, 444.038.141"

These saws always come setup with 3/8 lp, if you have the wrong bar and chain it's you're probably not getting oil to the chain.
I ordered this saw off eBay direct from Germany, so maybe the EU spec saws vary a little from the US/NA specs.

Yep. Direct quote from the Makita bar, "MAKITA 9T, ..325-64 13/.050, 444.038.141"

I ordered this saw off eBay direct from Germany, so maybe the EU spec saws vary a little from the US/NA specs.
That's not adding up right 9T is way too much for the saw should be 7T 8T max. With the 9T I bet the chain will bee too high up and not pick up oil. Does the chain spins smoothly?

yes, they were manufactured with .325 and 3/8lp thats why i asked what your original bar was. here only 3/8 lp, wished they offered .325 here.

yes, they were manufactured with .325 and 3/8lp thats why i asked what your original bar was. here only 3/8 lp, wished they offered .325 here.
3/8 lp is preferable on these saws IMHO. 9T is way too much period. If the chain is up too high it will pass over the oil pickup and not move oil down the bar.

I have a few different versions of this saw. The Dolmars and Makitas come with 3/8LP, the Maruyama version comes with.325. At least the ones I have here.
Bar mount is A041/K041. Many guys have converted their 3/8LP setups to .325 by using the clutch drum from a 5105, mostly so they can run this bar: https://www.performanceoutdoorequip...6-325-66dl-k041-detail.htm?productId=-6911753

I think what the OP means with 9T is the sprocket on the bar, since he said that’s what was stamped on it, not the sprocket on the saw.

Please correct me if I’m wrong.

never seen 9t rim that would fit that saw but i've changed many to .325 7t, have many complaints of chain throwing with 3/8. not familiar with that bar but it may not have the proper oil channel. sos your probably right.

Here's an eBay link to a similar saw kit that I purchased. Comes with saw, file, 2 chains, metal case, 2-stroke oil, cover and bar oil. In the item description you can see they are offered with .325, 64 links, 1.3/.050.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Makita-EA4...lbox-131490-/253399790067?hash=item3affcdf1f3
I'm thinking you still have the incorrect combo here, the 9T sprocket is definitely not correct for the saw. Again with the bar and chain on the saw and at the proper tension, does the chain spin smoothly?

never seen 9t rim that would fit that saw but i've changed many to .325 7t, have many complaints of chain throwing with 3/8. not familiar with that bar but it may not have the proper oil channel.
Throwing a chain is an operator error, it has nothing to do with the chain itself. My guess is the bar chain and sprocket are not matching, vary common issue.

I have a few different versions of this saw. The Dolmars and Makitas come with 3/8LP, the Maruyama version comes with.325. At least the ones I have here.
Bar mount is A041/K041. Many guys have converted their 3/8LP setups to .325 by using the clutch drum from a 5105, mostly so they can run this bar: https://www.performanceoutdoorequip...6-325-66dl-k041-detail.htm?productId=-6911753

I think what the OP means with 9T is the sprocket on the bar, since he said that’s what was stamped on it, not the sprocket on the saw.

Please correct me if I’m wrong.
That is correct. Again, I'm quoting directly what it says on the bar, as someone was questioning whether it was the proper bar/chain combo. The drive sprocket is 7 teeth.

I'm thinking you still have the incorrect combo here, the 9T sprocket is definitely not correct for the saw. Again with the bar and chain on the saw and at the proper tension, does the chain spin smoothly?
Yep.....7-tooth drive sprocket, 9-tooth on the Makita bar and 11-tooth on the Tsumura (its gotta much bigger bar tip). Spins like a Rolex, just stopped oiling normally recently.

if we could order .325 set up on that saw, thats the only way i would stock them. i also git complaints about chain throwing.
I threw a couple of chains about a year ago when the saw was new. The chains that came with the saw seemed to stretch and loosen up pretty quick. Easy to get them in a pinch and throw the chain. After I put on the new Oregon chains and Tsumura bar, I've not thrown one since and I use the saw A LOT!

not familiar with a tsumura bar for that saw, may not have the oil pickup in the correct place. look at your makita bar in the bar rail where it mounts and you can see into the mount hole below. if tsumura bar is not open to the hole below you will not git oil to your chain. if bar is ok, then your worm gear is stripped ( have never had to replace one yet) or oil hose leaking. if hose leaking you should see that by running with bar off. will leak out behind the plate.

not familiar with a tsumura bar for that saw, may not have the oil pickup in the correct place. look at your makita bar in the bar rail where it mounts and you can see into the mount hole below. if tsumura bar is not open to the hole below you will not git oil to your chain. if bar is ok, then your worm gear is stripped ( have never had to replace one yet) or oil hose leaking. if hose leaking you should see that by running with bar off. will leak out behind the plate.
I forgot to mention in the op that I had also noticed some oil left in the tank when the gas was finished. Usually they are like clockwork--both finishing at the same time. That was why I wanted to check to see if the oiler pickup tube had gotten blocked.
It might just be the worm gear. I didn't get a chance to dig into it today, but I suppose I'll further investigate this coming week.

Thanks for the help! :cheers:

I forgot to mention in the op that I had also noticed some oil left in the tank when the gas was finished. Usually they are like clockwork--both finishing at the same time. That was why I wanted to check to see if the oiler pickup tube had gotten blocked.
It might just be the worm gear. I didn't get a chance to dig into it today, but I suppose I'll further investigate this coming week.

Thanks for the help! :cheers:
Most saws run out of fuel way before oil, unless you tune the saw crazy rich. You said the dealer adjusted the oiler, sounds like he turned it down, go ahead and max it out and leave it there.

.325 bars have a larger radius nose then 3/8lp, has everything to do with chain throwing. in his first post he said he did set the oiler to max.

Back