5 saws not passing oil to chain HELP PLEASE

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Deleted post was quoted here.

Easy, no excuse for language like this.

My view is that, if you really have replaced all those parts OEM and everything is clean, you are unlikely to get a diagnosis and solution here on a forum online. Its one of those difficult problems where you need to have the saw in your hands to diagnose it. Do you have a friend who knows about chainsaws that you trust, ideally with the same saw?

Back to basics-
Oil system is working properly all the way to the bar groove. After that is is the chain drivers that pick up the oil and deliver it to the upper part of the chain.
The only way this could not be oiling the chain is the wrong chain with shallow drivers.
I am also saying the chains are sharp and a dull chain is not just burning the bar oil off.

Video of the working component would be very helpful.
We are down to a magic wand at this point.

I am a glutton for punishment.

That question was if anybody else every experienced these things affecting their oil system bc your tank vent equalizes atmospheric pressure, if the atmospheric pressure is unable to equalize, the saw may not pump enough oil, and short of measuring to see if I'm getting .027 oz per minute (really hard to do trust me) then I have no way of determining if this could be the issue besides asking what I thought was a very clear question with proper foreground that I did NOT WANT DIAGNOSIS ADVICE OR DID YOU CHECK THIS OR CHECK THAT.
I think the reason you are getting so much "unwanted diagnosis advice" is that none of the many very experienced people here have ever had any of the issues you are having relate to climate / atmospheric conditions, it has always been something else.
In an attempt to help we can provide examples of known issues or similar problems & solutions we've found (as I did in post #124). The great thing about this is you are free to ignore anything that doesn't help you, & someone may just come up with something that solves all your problems, or those of others with similar issues in the future

Back to basics-
Oil system is working properly all the way to the bar groove. After that is is the chain drivers that pick up the oil and deliver it to the upper part of the chain.
The only way this could not be oiling the chain is the wrong chain with shallow drivers.
I am also saying the chains are sharp and a dull chain is not just burning the bar oil off.

Video of the working component would be very helpful.
We are down to a magic wand at this point.

I am a glutton for punishment.
Stitch I've tried uploading video it won't let me says it isn't a video. Bar and chain are brand new OEM STIHL and forester correct part # for the applications. Unfortunately, this is still not the matter at hand, i am far beyond diagnosing the problem. I just built 1 ms170 2 017s an ms180 and another 025..... we will see today if the same issue continues. If so damn I guess I just need to go back to building houses. Or I just got some tainted oil, despite it working fine 2 weeks ago. Bars are burning up and I know it ain't the saw causing the heat.

Guy was here just an hour ago, hasn't said anything. Guessing he figured out he pulled the bar studs out of the case and caused the leaks, and probably won't be back.
"Guy" works 20 hrs a day your a dirtbag but I forgive you. Stop being such a chitty human being. I had no need to pull any bar studs on these saws neighbor dirtbag

If you follow this forum a lot, you shouldn't be surprised or dismayed about all the responses you get that have nothing to do with the issues you present.
Up here in the Great Frozen North, we get temperature swings from -40c to +40c and huge changes in humidity and I have never heard of anyone having unusual oiling problems related to climate. Hope you will let us know if an explanation is found.

No the bars are burning up. I'm not sure like I said I just had an 025 I rebuilt cut two tanks with it no issues. It is now amongst the saws I'm having issues with.
Perhaps they are normally oiling for their design, and it is not as generous oil wise compared to other models that you are used to? These oil pumps are notoriously stingy.

If you follow this forum a lot, you shouldn't be surprised or dismayed about all the responses you get that have nothing to do with the issues you present.
Up here in the Great Frozen North, we get temperature swings from -40c to +40c and huge changes in humidity and I have never heard of anyone having unusual oiling problems related to climate. Hope you will let us know if an explanation is found.
Yes I know lol thanks for your input. I am trying to recollect what I determined last time because it was an 028super and a 311 I was having issues with. ONE day they were just all of a sudden properly oiling again. 🤷‍♂️

Sounds like a poltergeist issue that only an exorcism can cure, luckily a mild poltergeist 'cause possessed saws could really be a serious issue.
Or alternatively a gypsy curse.
I guess gremlins are another possibility.
Tough one...
:surprised3:

I like your thinking. Nothing else has worked, pull out the holy water. Maybe make a voodoo doll of your chainsaw, and make that doll oil properly.

I like your thinking. Nothing else has worked, pull out the holy water. Maybe make a voodoo doll of your chainsaw, and make that doll oil properly.
I have seen Jinxed peoples effect on machinery. My old Dirt Bike riding buddy could create havoc out of nowhere with everything he touched and always when the cops were chasing him for just riding in the woods it would blow up at that moment.

Yeah, it's pretty common for these saws to come in with the bar blue all the way around. I always just figured they ran dull chain too much of the time. But, maybe not.
on stihl laminated bars, the bluing down the bar rails about 3/8" deep from tip to oiler hole is the induction hardening of the bar rails-they only heat treat rails, not whole bar-
not a lack of oil-rarely never seen a bar without it once the paint wears off, possible it becomes more prevalent if saw is pushed a little and bar heats up-but not an oiler problem imo

I have seen Jinxed peoples effect on machinery. My old Dirt Bike riding buddy could create havoc out of nowhere with everything he touched and always when the cops were chasing him for just riding in the woods it would blow up at that moment.

That's me and computers, even though I use one all day every day. We buy 5 of the same computers for folks here in the office, all of us running the same programs, but consistently mine doesn't work right. Gone through multiple iterations of computers, I still have issues. Clearly it's me, some setting I've got switched off or widget I run on my machines, but it's become a running joke around the company.

My parents used to think I had a reverse jinx for machinery, stuff just magically worked around me. They'd have trouble getting the mower to start, ask me to come look at it. I'd walk over and casually kick it, then tell them ok pull the cord now. It'd start, and they'd look at me in awe. It had a sticky float in the carb, and a tap would free it up. They never paid attention to where I was kicking the mower, or asked me why that worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back