5 saws not passing oil to chain HELP PLEASE

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hey neighbors, so let's first start by saying please DO NOT tell me to check the following: oil pump, worm gear, worm gear arm, oil tube, oil pick up body, bar guide plate being bent as there isn't one, o ring on cap, oil tank vent, oil hole being plugged on bar etc. ALL OF THESE ARE GOOD.

NOW here is the situation. I have an 017 ms170 ms180 025 and ms250 ALL are rebuilt and plenty of oil is being fed to the bar. The problem is the chain will not pick it up and pull it down the rail gap. I have platinum stihl oil, warhawk oil (Walmart brand) kawasaki oil and even tried 10-30 motor oil (yes I went there I'm desperate). Now the plastic. Chassis can sometimes get worm, but even on a BRAND NEW one I'm having the same issue.

THE QUESTION: can the barometric pressure, or other atmospheric conditions affect all these oils in a way they will not pick up and flow down the rail Gao when the chain is on the bar??? Had anybody else faced weather issues or atmosphere issues affecting the oiling this way?? Thanks for the help

What’s the air temp there? Possibly too cold for regular bar oil and a winter blend would work?

Bore the oiler hole in the bars out a bit on one bar and see if it makes a difference. Otherwise, check the chain gauge and make sure it’s matched to the bar. One thing you haven’t mentioned is if you have run a tank through the saw and checked how much is left in the oil tank.

Bore the oiler hole in the bars out a bit on one bar and see if it makes a difference. Otherwise, check the chain gauge and make sure it’s matched to the bar. One thing you haven’t mentioned is if you have run a tank through the saw and checked how much is left in the oil tank.
Neighbor, I have already bored a bar out, IT IS NOT A NORMAL ISSUE we are talking 5 saws rebuilt one of them I ran one 025 through 2 tanks cutting, just prior to that I did an ms310, both saws oiled proper. That 025 is now not properly oiling along with the other 017 ms170 ms180c ms250 and other 025. Again remember I have tried multiple oils, MULTIPLE new and used bar and chain combo. And the odds I bought new bar and chain combo wrong gauge chain is unlikely, plus I know all about bar and chain gap and gauge, I do this daily, I set rail gaps etc, it's not gonna be anything that you usually look at. That is exactly why I said HAS AHYBODY FACED WEATHER OR ATMOSPEHERE CAUSING OILING PROBLEM it's not anything else. I just need ppl to answer that question. I'm sorry neighbor but I'm not having a nice week here I was very specific in my question I do this every single day I know what to look for I've eliminated every possibility one would look for. I can leave chain off and it oils bar rail fine, add you a chain and....well hot bar in Seconds

Neighbor, I have already bored a bar out, IT IS NOT A NORMAL ISSUE we are talking 5 saws rebuilt one of them I ran one 025 through 2 tanks cutting, just prior to that I did an ms310, both saws oiled proper. That 025 is now not properly oiling along with the other 017 ms170 ms180c ms250 and other 025. Again remember I have tried multiple oils, MULTIPLE new and used bar and chain combo. And the odds I bought new bar and chain combo wrong gauge chain is unlikely, plus I know all about bar and chain gap and gauge, I do this daily, I set rail gaps etc, it's not gonna be anything that you usually look at. That is exactly why I said HAS AHYBODY FACED WEATHER OR ATMOSPEHERE CAUSING OILING PROBLEM it's not anything else. I just need ppl to answer that question. I'm sorry neighbor but I'm not having a nice week here I was very specific in my question I do this every single day I know what to look for I've eliminated every possibility one would look for. I can leave chain off and it oils bar rail fine, add you a chain and....well hot bar in Seconds
Sorry you’re having a bad week, but I was just putting a couple of suggestions out there…based on your scenario, it seems like the chains are the issue, if it oils into the bar groove fine but then doesn’t when you add the chain. Are you judging the oiler performance by oil spray from the chain, or by whether the bar is hot? Tension too high on the chain causing heat to build up quickly?

What are you using for oil pickup tube? Aftermarket or stilhl?

I had an 028 that would oil good with no bar, put a bar and chain on and it did not oil correctly. Could tell by amount of oil remaining at end of fuel. Fought with it for quite a while. Did all the usual, pump, gasket, drive gear, etc.

Finally swapped the aftermarket pickup for an oem and seems to have worked.

No real explanation other than maybe the draw under load collapsed the aftermarket line.

What are you using for oil pickup tube? Aftermarket or stilhl?

I had an 028 that would oil good with no bar, put a bar and chain on and it did not oil correctly. Could tell by amount of oil remaining at end of fuel. Fought with it for quite a while. Did all the usual, pump, gasket, drive gear, etc.

Finally swapped the aftermarket pickup for an oem and seems to have worked.

No real explanation other than maybe the draw under load collapsed the aftermarket line.
That could have been a possible explanation if oil was drawn from the chain movement,instead of being pumped by the oiler.
But I'm not quite sure if the chain has the ability to create such a "vacuum" as it moves ( = the hooks of the chain drive links "suck" /"grab " oil as they move ,thus creating a vacuum ? ! ) .
The oiling line should not collapse ,as oil is pumped ( positive pressure ) through it ,but instead should tend to be expanded.

Just my 2 c.

As for the issue the OP has :
Try a test : Operate the saws ,
but instead of bar oil use lamp oil
( kerosene /naptha ) and see
( or rather smell ;-) ) if
it reaches the chain.
If yes then is an oil viscosity issue ,which is affected directly from ambient temps .

Since the bar/chain lubricating subsystem of the saws is working perfectly (as stated) ,then all this oil being pumped should end up somewhere .
Where ?
Does the clutch cover drips oil ?
Where all this oil goes ?

So the pump pulls the oil through the oil tube to pump. It is under suction before it goes through the pump where it gets pressured.

Op should take one saw goes through the entire oiling system from start to finish. These are not magic , they are mechanical. One saw ALL THE WAY. Then repeat on the other four.

My thought in my case on the 028

Do we run the saw testing on the bench like we do in the cut? I say no, we do final adjustments under full load in the cut

On the bench without bar we get initial settings, see if the oiler is working, blip the throttle to check carb initial setting. How much time? Not much. Then we go to the cut. That is where we really test the oiler, the carb, the chain, etc… this is the full test, especially for the oiling system at full rpm and full load.

Sorry you’re having a bad week, but I was just putting a couple of suggestions out there…based on your scenario, it seems like the chains are the issue, if it oils into the bar groove fine but then doesn’t when you add the chain. Are you judging the oiler performance by oil spray from the chain, or by whether the bar is hot? Tension too high on the chain causing heat to build up quickly?
Multiple different branded chains, judging by both, spray and heat,
Where's the oil going? Is it dripping out the bottom of the saw and not going to the bar?
Already said is all over behind clutch cover

So the pump pulls the oil through the oil tube to pump. It is under suction before it goes through the pump where it gets pressured.

Op should take one saw goes through the entire oiling system from start to finish. These are not magic , they are mechanical. One saw ALL THE WAY. Then repeat on the other four.
They are ALL REBUILT respectfully I stated this very clearly. Oil tubes are all oem, saw pumps plenty of oil at full rpm and its not intermittent.

It's not a mechanic problem

Well kind of it is- 5 saws, same mechanic, same problem. :lol:
What happens if you take chains and bars off the saws, start and run them WOT with the clutch covers off and have someone video the oil leaving the galleries that feed the bars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back