5 saws not passing oil to chain HELP PLEASE

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My $.02... Worth every penny that you didn't pay for it!

1. None of these saws have "generous" chain oliers.

2. These pumps have no seal other than the machining tolerances AND the viscosity of the oil. The pump will move more high viscosity oil than low viscosity oil due to "slippage" in the pump. Oil viscosity goes down as temperature goes up which may be part of your problem. Specifically, what are you using for chain oil?

3. Your chains are less sharp than they could/should be. Please post some photos.

4. Most, if not all of these oil pumps are not rebuildable so how did you rebuild them?

5. I have seen these pumps collect sawdust and other crud in them which will limit piston travel and oil flow but this is not a sudden occurrence.

My money is on #2 or #3.

Since the OP stated that there is oil on a chain-less bar and when a chain is installed there's no oil going in the chain ,I will ask again : Where the oil is going ?
Does the clutch cover drips oil or not ?
Since the lubricating system operates finely up to the bar groove (as stated by the OP ) ,
then the oil has to end up somewhere,right ?
Does it drip from the bar ?
Does it drip from the clutch cover ?
It can't just vanish into thin air ...

Onice again you haven't read clearly. Go back and read you can eliminate #2 and #3 and see ALLLLLLLL the oils bars and chains I've used. Brand new chain cannot be dull bud. I rebuilt the saws not the pumps, I clean everything VERY thouroughly. I have ultra sonic I have a 12 gal parts washer, so the pump isn't clogged. Oil is reaching the feed port just fine
My $.02... Worth every penny that you didn't pay for it!

1. None of these saws have "generous" chain oliers.

2. These pumps have no seal other than the machining tolerances AND the viscosity of the oil. The pump will move more high viscosity oil than low viscosity oil due to "slippage" in the pump. Oil viscosity goes down as temperature goes up which may be part of your problem. Specifically, what are you using for chain oil?

3. Your chains are less sharp than they could/should be. Please post some photos.

4. Most, if not all of these oil pumps are not rebuildable so how did you rebuild them?

5. I have seen these pumps collect sawdust and other crud in them which will limit piston travel and oil flow but this is not a sudden occurrence.

My money is on #2 or #3

Since the OP stated that there is oil on a chain-less bar and when a chain is installed there's no oil going in the chain ,I will ask again : Where the oil is going ?
Does the clutch cover drips oil or not ?
Since the lubricating system operates finely up to the bar groove (as stated by the OP ) ,
then the oil has to end up somewhere,right ?
Does it drip from the bar ?
Does it drip from the clutch cover ?
It can't just vanish into thin air ...
Read my post and your questions are all easily answered neighbor

Read my post and your questions are all easily answered neighbor
Ok,my bad .
The oil goes behind the clutch cover,right?

Since you stated that oil does reach the bar groove when a chain is not installed and when a chain is installed it drips behind the clutch cover ,then common logic says that while installing the chain something causes the mismatching of saw's oil output with the bar's oiling hole.
Like the chain is pulling the bar out of contact with the saw's bar mount.

Do you lift the bar while tensioning the chain and tighten the nuts ?
If yes ,then most probably something is wrong with the studs .They possibly allow the bar to lift in such an angle that the oil ports do not match with each other.
All the saws you mentioned
( 017 ms170 ms180 025 and ms250) use the same bar mount ( 3005 ) and the same type of studs.

Where are you located, elevation, ambient temperatures when running saw, type of wood you are cutting for testing.

Also take a video of one of the saws running with no bar/chain/cover, so we can see the

Ok,my bad .
The oil goes behind the clutch cover,right?

Since you stated that oil does reach the bar groove when a chain is not installed and when a chain is installed it drips behind the clutch cover ,then common logic says that while installing the chain something causes the mismatching of saw's oil output with the bar's oiling hole.
Like the chain is pulling the bar out of contact with the saw's bar mount.

Do you lift the bar while tensioning the chain and tighten the nuts ?
If yes ,then most probably something is wrong with the studs .They possibly allow the bar to lift in such an angle that the oil ports do not match with each other.

Or maybe a defective chain tensioner ?

Can't really think of something else ...
Oil ports line up, and yes I know the proper way to tension chain and mount bar. Trying to upload videos for yall but I'm in the woods it takes forever

Also take a video of one of the saws running with no bar/chain/cover, so we can see the oil flow.

Want me to copy and paste the reply to #20 from page one?
Seems visual conformation is not allowed and we have to keep guessing.

Oil ports line up, and yes I know the proper way to tension chain and mount bar. Trying to upload videos for yall but I'm in the woods it takes forever
I 'm not asking about your skills on how to tension a chain.

I just noted that if the bar is lifted ,
it may be lifted out of proportion ,
because of worn / faulty studs.

And please teach me how on earth I can check that the oil ports ( saw vs bar ) match each other ,while a bar and a chain are installed on a saw.
My x-ray vision is letting me down ,lately ...
(The easy answer would have been " the chain gets all the oil it needs" ,but that's not the case here...)

I 'm not asking about your skills on how to tension a chain.

I just noted that if the bar is lifted ,
it may be lifted out of proportion ,
because of worn / faulty studs.

And please teach me how on earth I can check that the oil ports ( saw vs bar ) match each other ,while a bar and a chain are installed on a saw.
My x-ray vision is letting me down ,lately ...
(The easy answer would have been " the chain gets all the oil it needs" ,but that's not the case here...)
One, a caliper, and two simply by tilting the bar just slightly away from the top of the chassis to see where your oil hole is on the bar in comparison to the chassis. And as I stated before I know it is not ware bc on one of the saws everything is brand new guy used it once let it set and I had to replace crank seals on it. I'm sorry neighbor it won't let me upload my Lil 30 sec video of a brand new saw sending lots of oil, but yet today, and not 2 days ago it seems there is occasional air bubbles.

One, a caliper, and two simply by tilting the bar just slightly away from the top of the chassis to see where your oil hole is on the bar in comparison to the chassis. And as I stated before I know it is not ware bc on one of the saws everything is brand new guy used it once let it set and I had to replace crank seals on it. I'm sorry neighbor it won't let me upload my Lil 30 sec video of a brand new saw sending lots of oil, but yet today, and not 2 days ago it seems there is occasional air bubbles.
And again once of the saws neighbor, has not moved from the shelf since I sold it to a buddy, we have cut lots of wood with it at least 2 tanks with no oiler issues and yesterday I went to test it bc I had FOUR saws running burning hot bars again tried 3 different oils one being stihl premium. Now I have FIVE saws not oiling proper.

I'm

Trying

So you have gotten over the biting like a big dog if anyone asked for further evidence to help understand your problems?
If you cannot upload video- how about good clear still photographs of the bar mounts, oil galleries and stud to case junctions for all 5 of your problem saws?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back