Looking for felling feedback

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, I'll check these out too.
I ain't 'askeered' of too much but my own ignorance sure does make me a little uneasy!
Don't be too hard on yourself everyone here had to learn and most here have made mistakes and still do if they are honest. Learning is part of the fun but you must know your limitations. I was a bit uneasy on this one and needless to say I took my time notching ratchet binding the spar to prevent chair and winching plus back up rigging. See sometimes a wedge just ain't gonna cut it and this one is a perfect example !badone_001 (1).jpg

Don't be too hard on yourself everyone here had to learn and most here have made mistakes and still do if they are honest. Learning is part of the fun but you must know your limitations. I was a bit uneasy on this one and needless to say I took my time notching ratchet binding the spar to prevent chair and winching plus back up rigging. See sometimes a wedge just ain't gonna cut it and this one is a perfect example !View attachment 639739
Man, there is no way I would have tried that one! One of the first ones I took down was a big Maple. Luckily it was out in the open, because it had a sizeable hollow center. I'm pretty good at rigging Iron and machinery but trees are a little more unpredictable. Some of our best Ironworkers come over from the tree industry. I've been lucky enough to have worked with a few of them and learned a lot from them. The big difference is we are usually erecting not dismantling and we almost always have a crane available. Even then there are plenty of errors made, mostly overestimating the capability of the crane and getting in too big a hurry. I bet you walked around that tree a few times doing the head scratching routine. Glad you got it down without mishap! "A man's got to know his limitations"

What everyone else said. Were you wearing chaps, helmet, eye protection, and hearing protection?
Yeah, well I do need to get a pair of chaps. Been doing the research on which ones actually work and not just look cool. There is probably a discussion on here that addresses safety gear. I'm certainly open to suggestions.

Man, there is no way I would have tried that one! One of the first ones I took down was a big Maple. Luckily it was out in the open, because it had a sizeable hollow center. I'm pretty good at rigging Iron and machinery but trees are a little more unpredictable. Some of our best Ironworkers come over from the tree industry. I've been lucky enough to have worked with a few of them and learned a lot from them. The big difference is we are usually erecting not dismantling and we almost always have a crane available. Even then there are plenty of errors made, mostly overestimating the capability of the crane and getting in too big a hurry. I bet you walked around that tree a few times doing the head scratching routine. Glad you got it down without mishap! "A man's got to know his limitations"
I had a lady ask me if I could put the tree back once after taking it down. I replied sure if money is no object and you know it wont live lol.

Yeah, well I do need to get a pair of chaps. Been doing the research on which ones actually work and not just look cool. There is probably a discussion on here that addresses safety gear. I'm certainly open to suggestions.
Forget chaps get a nice pair of saw trousers like the Pfanner Gladiators.

Sent from my SM-G389F using Tapatalk

If you know you are cutting all day the pants are nice...cooler than chaps (not cool by any means...but not as hot as chaps). They are also more comfortable and don't catch. You wear them instead of pants. I guess you could wear chaps instead of pants too...but won't make many friends that way! Chaps are the way to go if you only need them for a shorter time or will be cutting then take them off to drag brush or load firewood, etc...for a while then put them back on to cut some more.

If you know you are cutting all day the pants are nice...cooler than chaps (not cool by any means...but not as hot as chaps). They are also more comfortable and don't catch. You wear them instead of pants. I guess you could wear chaps instead of pants too...but won't make many friends that way! Chaps are the way to go if you only need them for a shorter time or will be cutting then take them off to drag brush or load firewood, etc...for a while then put them back on to cut some more.
Haha, Who needs friends anyway?
Seriously though, my work will likely be mixed tasks and at my age I like a significant break every couple of hours. Don't always take a break that often but trying to get accustomed to acting like a retired guy.

Latest posts

Back