Stihl MS261 C-M 3/8 Chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't run the 261C's much but out of the box they seem a way better saw than the carby 261. Sluggish throttle response was the biggest issue I found with the stock 261's but the M-Tronic version was way more snappy. Not 550XP snappy but pretty good.

I thought snappy could be understood at an international level :) My bad...

No, snappy is what you meant it to be here stateside. Snappy, zippy or quick... its just that you guys have all kinds of colorful terms for stuff that does not mean anything here. Though snaps are a type of cookie back east in the likes of PA.

No, snappy is what you meant it to be here stateside. Snappy, zippy or quick... its just that you guys have all kinds of colorful terms for stuff that does not mean anything here.

Phew. I thought that snappy may have meant it breaks easily :)

I took the saw out for a little bit this past weekend and as I was running it I could tell it was gaining power as I used it. At first it was pretty easy to stall out the saw now it has to be force feed a little bit in order to get the chain to stop. Now remember I only have about 1.5 to 2 tanks of fuel threw it so far. It seems like it will be a pretty powerful saw when it is broke in.

Also my dad is complaining a little bit of his ms362 does not have much power. I would say he has maybe 5 tanks threw it so far. His ms362 is a std. carb model, with the adjustment screws.

Just starting to break in at 5 tanks. Have you put a tach on it? I would tune it just a bit below spec, then run 10 more tanks through it, at least, then re-tune to spec.

What do you do? Do you take off the chain and bar and put a tach on the end of the clutch and runner wide open? How do you adjust rpms with a m-tronic carb (no high low screws on side of saw)? Are you talking about my ms261 or are you talking about my dads ms362?

Guys it's a CM it tunes itself.

He also asked about his dad's 362, which does have an adjustable carb:

Also my dad is complaining a little bit of his ms362 does not have much power. I would say he has maybe 5 tanks threw it so far. His ms362 is a std. carb model, with the adjustment screws.

Well in the case of the 362 tune it a little fat and be patient. They take a good 15 tanks to break in.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Sorry to drag up an old thread for my first post but this is the only existing thread I came across that covers some of my questions.

I just picked up a MS261cm to replace my tired 026 Pro. I ran .375 (3/8) chain and the Rollomatic E Super 18" bar on my 026 and want to convert my 261 to 3/8. I picked up a E Super 18" bar and some loops of 36RM366 chain. I am trying to get the correct sprocket for the 3/8 and all the local dealers in my AO (4 to be exact) look at me like I've been smoking the devils lettuce.

What is the correct sprocket part number and where can I order it online?

I think this will work but need confirmation as some sites list it as a .325 sprocket- 1121 640 2003.

???????

Sorry to drag up an old thread for my first post but this is the only existing thread I came across that covers some of my questions.

I just picked up a MS261cm to replace my tired 026 Pro. I ran .375 (3/8) chain and the Rollomatic E Super 18" bar on my 026 and want to convert my 261 to 3/8. I picked up a E Super 18" bar and some loops of 36RM366 chain. I am trying to get the correct sprocket for the 3/8 and all the local dealers in my AO (4 to be exact) look at me like I've been smoking the devils lettuce.

What is the correct sprocket part number and where can I order it online?

I think this will work but need confirmation as some sites list it as a .325 sprocket- 1121 640 2003.

???????

https://www.ebay.com/p/1-OEM-STIHL-...et-3-8-7-7t-0000-642-1231-Ms7-Mini/1201643900

Back