Stihl MS261 C-M 3/8 Chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The idea that .325 doesn't put enough load on ANY size saw is simply ridiculous. Equally ridiculous is the idea that 3/8 would hurt a 261. The fact of the matter is that .325 actually puts more cutters in the wood. It would be no challenge at all to stall an 880 with .325 chain.

Rant off:)

Pfffttt... I can stall an 880 with a wet noodle... :laugh:

Different bars and chains all mixed up for the same saw is insanity...
I run 3/8 on EVERYTHING... All woods... Elm to Hedge...
Keeps things simpler that way...
You can sharpen a chain to make it do whatever you want...
Smooth as silk, or ditch witch grabby...

But if someone wants to roll with .325, they can do all the same things and woods...
No problem.
Basically, what do you want? Or feel like using? Or what is most readily available?

I talked to my stihl dealer tonight again and he showed me what was the bearing and it was the bearing on the clutch not on the motor. Either way I ordered it. I would have had it tonight but he did not have the chain drive sprocket so I should have it middle of next week. Also thoughts green vs yellow chain, I have yellow coming.

Use the same chain on all you're saws, makes life so much less complicated. I do use .404 on the big saw but it gets a new chain every few years, I get 3/8 by the roll. lots of my guys use 3/8 on the very same saw, i just like the bigger sawkerf so I can see it move, before it closes on me.

You'll find the indents for where to drill holes under the nylon chain guides in the clutch cover. Just pop the two nylon guides out with a screwdriver and you'll see where to drill. Very easy to do. From memory it is either the MS361 or MS362 dual spikes that will fit the20140106_205448.jpg 261. All you will need is longer bolts.
The magnum spikes 0506 for inner casing and 0509 for clutch cover will fit the 261 with slight modifications

Last edited:
(continuing the derail..)

Did you run Andrew's enough to tell how a ported 241 compared to a stock 550 or 261?

This may help.
Ported 241C with a 16' .325 .063 chain
Stock 261 with muff modd 18' bar 3/8 .063 chain

For me the 241C can do what the 261 does with much less weight,very easy to start cold or hot (when working out of a bucket trimming this helps) and for felling smaller trees is a joy to use all day.
My 261 doesnt get much use these days.

The magnum spikes 0506 for inner casing and 0509 for clutch cover will fit the 261 with slight modifications

What saw model do they originally fit? The MS361 (or MS362?) dual spike kits are a straight bolt on. They work really well too. These photos are from a few years ago now and the 261 had only just hit the US market a few weeks prior.

Ya thats 361/362 kit #7750. Much smaller spikes than 0506, 0509. The magnum spikes originally fit the 441. A Little work at the bottom of 0506 and 2 holes drilled foward of original holes of 0509 and the magnum spikes will fit the 26120140106_204203.jpg

At least the spikes you've fitted aren't as crazy as some of the ones I've seen on here. Stihl spikes always seem to bite at different angles in funny shaped trunks, unlike some others. Stock MS660 spikes are some of the most functional spikes in the market.

Revving the crap out of saws with no load actually makes me cringe :) I have heard meathead fruit tree pruners in the past holding 192T's/200T's flat between cuts
I had the misfortune of watching a Balinese type tree gang clear a development plot last month, bobcat, trailer and just two saws, 201t for up top and a new 460(?) for all ground work. The groundie obviously thought the throttle trigger was part of the handle and on <4" brush. I've never heard a saw scream so much and it sounded lean anyway. From what I saw he was the brains of the outfit too. Made my ears clench

I really like that the MS 341 dog set (stück) has the rounded bottom points. I find that it moves through a bucking cut much smoother than the better looking magnum dogs. How come no one is using the roller chain catcher? Either way those are some fine running, great looking, and superior quality saws you guys have! ;)

I have the chain roller on my 441c and a Sugihara 25" bar on the way and also ordered the roller for the magnum 261 spikes. The next step for my 261 is off to Mr Snelling for a stage one

The 261 in my pictures has the roller chain catcher fitted. It's just a bit hard to see.

Oh now I see. You've got in on backwards, and it doesn't project nearly enough through the outer dog to provide adequate protection from a violent chain derailment. But at least it's on there ;)

Oh now I see. You've got in on backwards, and it doesn't project nearly enough through the outer dog to provide adequate protection from a violent chain derailment. But at least it's on there ;)

That is one problem with the 261 and the 361/362 kit as the actual width of the 261 clutch cover etc looks to be a bit wider than the 361/362. I got told a few years ago when I posted these photos that I'd put the roller on backwards :( You've reopened my mental wounds from that time! The roller pin did actually grab the outer spike though and the Stihl setup is pretty tough. I threw a heap of chains on the 261 and worked out quickly that they are a great setup.

Back