McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob's Lawnmower in Maryland Ny. has them as well. I'm sure for
much less since I have bought them before. I don't have his #
handy but if you can't find it I will get it for you.

I picked up a 10-10 last weekend. The RH starter is a mess and I haven't got to it to see if its salvagble.

Anyway, I swapped out the flywheel with a LH start flywheel. The saw is chipped. I kind of though it would go even though the magnet polarity on the flywheel is reversed from the one it came with.

Fired up pretty well.

All of the large frame saws from say the 200 and later use the same duck bill valve in the fuel cap, 53766. Earlier saws either didn't have a vent in the cap, or some older saws had a really unique oversize check valve, and a few had a very complicated vent/check system with a disc.

DSCN3674.JPG

The 10 Series flywheels are the same for LH or RH start saws, only difference is RH start saw flywheel does not have the pawls for the starter since they are on the clutch...or were just trying to pull our leg(s)?

Mark

The 10 Series flywheels are the same for LH or RH start saws, only difference is RH start saw flywheel does not have the pawls for the starter since they are on the clutch...or were just trying to pull our leg(s)?

Mark

The flywheel I put on is larger in diameter than the RH start model. Also the magnet polarity is reversed. Checked the magnets with an compass. The size difference surprised me as well. The LH start flywheel is from a 600014E unless someone changed the tank in the past. The RH model is old and just has numbers stamped on the bottom of the crankcase. 9473
B10

LH Start FW Dia 4.40"
RH Start FW Dia 4.07"

I can take some pics if you like. There was just enough room in the lamination slots to get clearance to the flywheel.

Here a quick vid of it firing up. Checking to see if the timing was reasonable with the flywheel swap and the chip. I believe the starter cord is from an old venetian blind.

Also showing off my new Huztl chainsaw safety boots.

I'd like to see the comparison Tim, always good to learn something new. I have seen a few 10 Series flywheels and they only ones I thought were actually different were the 18 fin on the PM800 and later (fins are taller) and the odd ball used on the electric start saws with the windings. The 12 and 20 fin versions (20 on the PM850, 12 on everything else) always seemed to be the same dimensionally.

IMAG1556.jpg

Mark

I'd like to see the comparison Tim, always good to learn something new. I have seen a few 10 Series flywheels and they only ones I thought were actually different were the 18 fin on the PM800 and later (fins are taller) and the odd ball used on the electric start saws with the windings. The 12 and 20 fin versions (20 on the PM850, 12 on everything else) always seemed to be the same dimensionally.

View attachment 644487

Mark

What diameter are the ones you have there?

They are both 1-5/16" (high, thick, wide)

DSCF3610.JPG DSCF3611.JPG DSCF3612.JPG DSCF3614.JPG

View attachment 644487

Mark

Again,

Thank You.

I will never, ever, ever, ever doubt Mr. Tim Fossil again. I always assumed the 10 Series flywheels were like the large frame saws, the RH start are the same except without the pawls but I've been wrong about that all the time.

RH start flywheel is smaller in diameter and has opposite magnet polarity from the others, the magnets are actually stuck together in the photo below.

20180407_160111.jpg

The RH and LH start saws (except for the 82 cc models) are 12 fin. The PM850 were 24 fin, and the PM800, 805, DE80, and PM8200 were all the 18 fin version with the taller fins.

Mark

Back