McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Up here in Canada, Toyota is running a truck ad which features a big old Mcculloch with the old style square full wrap. Id be happy if anyone could ID it just for fun. It's running and cuttin in the ad, but it's real quick so hard to tell which model.

Not this one!

Creamsicles only!

There is one shot of it cutting the tree that blocks the road and then a very quick shot of it in the pickup bed as the guy throws a block of wood into the bed beside the saw. The ad finishes with the family in a newly build canoe.

Hey guys,
I'm restoring a pro mac 10-10 and have all the pieces surrounding the power head stripped from the saw ready for sandblast. Would y'all mind sharing your thoughts and opinions on prepping and re-painting? I believe I read a post on a forum that recommended, after sandblasting, wiping down the pieces with alcohol, then applying metal etching primer and then color on top. Also, would anyone happen to know what the closest yellow color there is to McCulloch yellow? I will be painting it myself. Thanks for time
A side note from the painting, does anyone know where I could find new decals for the air box cover?

There were several shades of Mac yellow over the years. The commonly accepted rattle can color for the best 'average' match is Rust-Oleum Sunburst Yellow. OSHA Safety Yellow is another. Or, as mentioned, have it matched up while you still have some original color to go from. Powder coat would certainly be the way to go, but I've also had decent (and fairly rugged) results with Krylon Crystal Clear Indoor/Outdoor gloss clear coat over Rust-Oleum. My choice for black has been Rust-Oleum Satin, but there are also cooler options offering a certain degree of texture that more closely matches certain types of tank finishes. Others may chime in on what that actually is as it escapes me at the moment.

Depending on the version of 10-10 and how close you want to stay to original, you may find decals in any number of places..., Ebay being a starting point. Sugar Creek Supply would be another. They sell through Chainsawr, but I've found going direct is faster, less expensive, and less hassle in general. Joe Salva is the owner and does custom design work if he doesn't already have what you're looking for. Takes some time, but he does real nice work and is reasonably priced.

Pics when you're finished.

The Rustoleum sunburst yellow is a good match for the later PM saw like the PM800 and such. As Poge says, for earlier saws a safety yellow or implement yellow are closer.

On one project I followed sandblasting with a solvent wash (brake clean for the most part) followed by self etching primer followed by a safety yellow. I thought the yellow was a bit too light/bright so I hit it with a couple of light coats of implement yellow and was pleased with the results. On that one, even without a clear coat on top the paint has held up pretty well.

DSC06823.JPG

Mark

Family photo for no reason lol. Fired up the 380 and made a few cuts with it, had not run in almost a year fresh gas and a little prime plus a little tweak on the high jet and she was off to the races. Wish I had an opportunity to run that big old saw more. She's a beast with the 34" bar!!!!!
d785ca5b2b29e43faab0290db1289e07.jpg

Thanks!!!! I buy my firewood log length. Got two truck loads this year with the cold spell we had in december I went through three more cords than normal. Should he about 12 cords there when all split and stacked.
4b35ff40e68e39d0168c8823dad41de7.jpg

What is the fix for the duck bill in the fuel cap on the old front tank saws like my 380? Noticed it's getting pretty rough and figured I better fix it.

Back