Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the reading I've done and all the ones I've come across , "Made in Sweden" is usually 1 of these makers , Hults Bruk , Wetterlings or Gransfors Bruk .
A nice hatchet and if you look at replacement cost for a new one I'd say these are excellent value even if you get a premium haft for it .

From the reading I've done and all the ones I've come across , "Made in Sweden" is usually 1 of these makers , Hults Bruk , Wetterlings or Gransfors Bruk .
A nice hatchet and if you look at replacement cost for a new one I'd say these are excellent value even if you get a premium haft for it .
I fell in love at first sight. Everything seems to be in good working order aside from honing an edge.

I found a hatchet head in a drawer out in the garage last week along with a shingling hatchet with a messed up handle and 15 nails in the eye. I ordered some handles from House Handles that showed up friday and spent the weekend working on them. About 2 days were spent thinning the hatchet handle, the head only had a little mushrooming to take down. Yesterday I cut out some wedges and this is what I managed.
20180423_161226.jpg

Today I finished up the shingling hatchet I got an octogonal handle for, just to try one out. This one I think the handle is tilted a bit forward on the handle and I had to put it way down on the shoulder to get the head to cover the kerf but I got it finished.
20180424_150012.jpg

I found a hatchet head in a drawer out in the garage last week along with a shingling hatchet with a messed up handle and 15 nails in the eye. I ordered some handles from House Handles that showed up friday and spent the weekend working on them. About 2 days were spent thinning the hatchet handle, the head only had a little mushrooming to take down. Yesterday I cut out some wedges and this is what I managed.
20180423_161226.jpg

Today I finished up the shingling hatchet I got an octogonal handle for, just to try one out. This one I think the handle is tilted a bit forward on the handle and I had to put it way down on the shoulder to get the head to cover the kerf but I got it finished.
20180424_150012.jpg
Welcome to the site, and stick around. Nice work on both. I like the hatchet and the color of the handle. Actually, I really like the blonde color with the touch of brown on the shingling hatchet too.

Broke the bank on these fellas. Auctioneer said high bid gets choice, and can take as many items he wants at that price. There were rakes, brooms, cant hooks, post hole diggers. The first guy went to $10 and took a post hole digger. Next round got to $9 and that guy said he'd take 4 items, I was so mad I could spit. Then he took two old leaf rakes and two push brooms. A couple more rounds got to $9 dollars and I was sure someone was gonna get at least one or two axes. Next round I had to bid all the way up to $3 dollars, and took all four axes. The one on the left is a Paper Label Collins, with Collins stamped in the steel too. The one on the right says Forged Steel, but I haven't found a makers name or mark yet. The two in the middle are no name, Joe.
fcwEBrJ.jpg
The thrill of auctions.

This thread has fueled my OCD. I had a fiberglass axe that I got for an xmas gift years ago that spent more time on the woodpile outside than in. The epoxy finally gave up and from there I've acquired 2 other vintage axes, 2 vintage hatchets, and bought a Hults Bruk Tarnaby. The original axe is cleaned up and sharpened awaiting a new handle. These are my first works, but here's some pics of what I've done.

True Temper Flint Edgetruetemper.jpg truetemper2.jpg truetemper4.jpg

Cleaned up sharpened rehung and new sheath axe3.jpg axe2.jpgaxe sheath 3.jpgaxe sheath.jpgaxe sheath 6.jpg

Attachments

• axe4.jpg
    axe4.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 10
Saddle soap, hide food and such like are the best products for maintaining and restoring any leather, they are a mix of lanolin, beeswax and natural oils usually. Dubbin is also good, it's usually used on shoes and boots to keep supple and waterproof. I believe mink oil is supposed to be good for shoes, never tried though. I use Dubbin on shoes (plus regular wax polish) and hide food on jackets. If the leather is really dry I'd go for an oil, then I've of the waxy products after.

That double looks nice Steve. I don't know the make, but then I didn't know any of the quality us brands until I started reading here!

Watching the latest YouTube video from Buckin' last night, he hits the top of his head while swinging a double! I suggest short handles (it was a 28") and doubles is a recipe for trouble!

Back